"Self" Infused Cigars - anybody tried this??

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
I'll start this off saying "I know this is wrong on so many different levels", but what the hey.

I did a cursory search, but I was wondering how many have tried to infuse a cigar with liquor. I think some people have had some positive things to say about Sauza and the Makers Mark cigars. As I wait for my 50 cab of Gurkha 'His Majesty Reserve' (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=456 ) to get some age on them I thought I would try a little experiment.

There is just no way soaking a cigar in booze could work, and I didn't want to dedicate a humidor to soaking up the fumes of the liquor, and I wanted a speedier process.

Started with a low-cost mild cigar (5 Vegas Gold) and a relatively cheap Bourbon (Jim Beam Black). Took a very very long syringe (4") and injected small quantity of liquor into both ends of the cigar,as I withdrew the syringe. Should have coated the length of the stogie. I'll give it a week to absorb and maybe do the cycle 3 times total and see what happens.

I don't hold out a lot of hope, but I have to say the foot of the cigar smells great right now.

About the 50 cab of Gurkhas - it's still the 1st where I am, but believe it or not I really did just "shoot up" a cigar :r

We'll see,

BillyBarue

I think you're supposed to dry out the cigar substantially, then populate the re-hydration room primarily with the infusion of choice. Will be interesting to see how shooting liquor directly into your cigars works though, lol.

Awesome a Do it Yourself. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it develops. I look forward to the review. Maybe it will make a smokeable cigar out of a dog rocket, or enhance a cheaper cigar.

I had tried this in the past. What I did was to get a mason jar and place several cigars and a shot glass filled with grand marnier in it. I used my tilia to vacuum seal the jar and let it sit for about 2 weeks. I tried them along with a few of my friends and they seemed to be pretty good.

I don't remember which cigars I had done this with. Might have to try it again now that my tastes are slightly more refined.

Hope this helps

I admire those daring souls that venture out beyond the breakers.

I took some small Dutch perfectos that I picked up in Amsterdam last October and proceeded to experiment with them. I took some quality vanilla bourbon extract and soaked some good coffee beans in it. I then took the beans and placed them in the box of cigars, separating them with a small divider. The box has been at the bottom of the coolerdor for several months now. I guess I should dig em up and see what is up.:)

I would buy a decent empty box and put a shot glass in with a cigar or wipe the box with the alcohol. This could have a negative humidity issue, I have no idea. Maybe buy some tinned cigars because of price and better absorption size. Just an idea

tell us how the INJECTION goes haha.
for a thought i always considered doing this with some hennesy-

get a jar ( tight fighting lid) on the bottem place a few inches of beads.. anything. then pour only 1 inch of the liquid into the jar... so now placing cigars vertically untill the jar is full will be a great way to "infuse" the cigar without getting physically drenched.
what do ya think?

I was a little confused when I read the title, "self infused" lol

that is awesome! If it ends up turning out well, I'll buy some!:ss

I was scrounging around the bottom of the 165 Igloo and came across my vanilla/coffee bean perfecto infusion experiment. They seem to have taken on the aroma. I guess the next step is to burn one. I will report back after that has occurred.

But I think you where probably asking about the grander experiment with the 50 Gurkhas. I am curious as well.

You know this infusing idea is very interesting. Especially if you use a nice economical smoke from Holts and use a small 50ct humidor you can 'trash' and do your infusing. Very...very interesting.

Hmmm.....sounds like a fun project.

$750 For One Cigar... What Da!!!!!! Im Thinking That Louis Xiii Has Something To Do With This Price... Lord Have Mercy.. :hn :hn :al

i'd like to try a kind of mild cigar infused w/ 151. Maybe even a cheap J&R alternative witih 151 or maybe even do like a mix of like Southern Comfort & Lime Juice...see how that one goes over

Here are my thoughts on infusion of cigars. I think it could be quite good and naturally you can use any kind of bourbon or whiskey you like. However, when my dad smoked pipes he would often add a drop or two of Cognac VSOP to his tobacco.

Cognac has many pleasant aromatic qualities and if it worked so well on pipe tobacco I would imagine that a dried out cigar would also be a great place to infuse some Cognac.

I'm not sure how to go about actually infusing the Cognac but I'd be thrilled to hear some more thoughts on this subject.

Rob

Would it be a good idea to burn off the alcohol before infusing? I mean, you just want the flavor not the actual alcohol, right? Maybe the alcohol reacts with the tobacco leaves to produce another chemical, though. :confused:

Interesting, but I don't think I'll be trying this anytime soon--probably. :)

Never infused a cigar but I did once infuse some vodka with a whole pineapple and a jar. Turned out nice. ;)

Back