Series 601 Habano Rabito (12stones gifted cigar)

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
Again, for the Readers digest version --- VERY STRONG RECOMMEND on this cigar!!!

IMG_1205.jpg

601 Habano Rabito (6.5 x 46)

Retail (Best on-line Price) - $125/20 (Cigars International)

Storage – about three weeks with my other Pepin smokes at 65% to stabilize (not sure when Ricky [12 stones] purchased it). Dry box for 3 days with about 15 other smokes. I dry boxed this one a little longer than the Toro. I must say that dry boxing these cigars is a must. Because the RG on this one is a little thinner than the TORO I was worried I dry-boxed too much. Not a problem, err to the dry side on these (all Pepin sticks) it helps the flavor and burn immensely IMO.

Like the Toro this cigar had a very fragile and thin wrapper. As a matter of fact there was a little damage in shipping. Fixed the wrapper with Pectin (first time I tried that and it worked like a charm).

Pre-light draw was medium. Torching was very easy/uniform with wooden matches. There was no “break-in” for flavor on this cigar. Started with rich pure Nicaraguan tobacco flavor and stayed uniform for the whole cigar. I expected more spice and strength on this stick due to the thinner RG. Although I thought the Toro actually displayed less of the “Peppery” blast out of the gate than other Pepins. Oddly, I found this Rabito to be even less “peppery”. It was there, but as a backdrop for the great tobacco flavor from this cigar. Makes me think the blending of this line was done with care to keep the flavor uniform for all their vitolas. Just like the Toro, however, I have to say these are “refined” cigars – well blended and rolled.

After the lighting, draw tightened a little to medium + (to the tight side). That is just how I prefer it. I thoughy the draw would be loose after the lengthy dry-boxing. Massive volume of smoke on this cigar!!! I would say the flavor was full – (perhaps even medium +). I thought the strength was more medium range, and the finish I thought could have been a little longer as I recalk it was on the Toro size of this stick.

The cigar behaved perfectly. Stays lit, doesn’t need constant attention. And I said it above, but this stick is a real “smokehouse” - loads of smoke.

At the beginning of the second third starting to pick up a little more spice/pepper, but still more subdued than other Pepins I have had (IMO). Very long ash, but I ashed at 1 inch each time, although it would surely hold much longer. Other than the little more spice, the flavor has been very uniform (no purge required so far).

In the last fifth of the cigar there was a slight drop off in flavor, but I wouldn’t say it was unpleasant, just a little muted. I am impressed how uniform the flavor has been on this long (“Lonsdale-like”) cigar.

Believe it or not this cigar lasted me 2 hours, and there is ¾ inch left and there has been no real loss in flavor. I have never had a cigar that lasted so long with such uniform and fantastic flavor. Again I feel it is a refined smoke You can sip on this cigar for 2 hours, and it will generate loads of smoke and flavor and never really vary in quality of taste.

As much as I liked the toro, I liked this vitola even more (and I am not a Lonsdale fan). I am speculating, but I would think it is a little harder to maintain your quality in this size cigar. It is done magnificently and is a testament to the growers, blenders, and rollers of this smoke.

Very strong recommend!!! --- thanks again Ricky, these cigars were excellent!!

Billy great review! Funny I just wrote a review on the 601 Black Label Rabito today and also gave it a strong recommend. The Black label is smooth creaminess all the way to the finish. Any other places sell these besides CI?

I just went with the info from Cigarcyclopedia - I am sure there are other places on line but I didn't look very hard.

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/uploads/cms/comparison_shopper_prices.html

I am intrigued by those black label 601's. I think it is a real delicate balance to marry the creamy connecticut wrapper with the Nicaraguan tobacco. It is done very well in Pepin's Cuban Diplomat cigar from Cigar King. The only other one I know of is Tabacalara Tropical's Condega Connecticut. They are on closeout over at Holts. I have been beating the drum on this cigar for a long time. TXMatt loves them, and there is a new guy here at CS (JBI) I sent them too who loves them too. JBI doesn't post much, but he and TXMATT have encyclopedic information on cigars - they know their shite.

So don't take my word for it, but if that 601 connecticut wrapped cigar is up your alley you might give the Condega Connecticuts a shot. I love em.

Joe (BillyBarue)

Back