Series 601 Habano Toro (Red label) Robusto (12stones gifted cigar)

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
Again, for the Readers digest version --- STRONG RECOMMEND on this cigar!!!

ERROR IN THE TITLE OF THREAD - The review is on the Toro, not a robusto

601 Habano Toro (6.0 x 50)

Retail (Best on-line Price) - $113/20 (Best Cigar)

Storage – about three weeks with my other Pepin smokes at 65% to stabilize (not sure when Ricky [12 stones] purchased it. Dry box for two days with about 15 other smokes.

IMG_1178.jpg

Very fragile and thin wrapper. Wrapper is a little mottled in appearance. Not a detractor to me – take a look at a DCM wrapper to see a real spotty/mottled wrapper.

Triple cap, easy cut with a Palio. Medium (-) on the Pre-light draw leaning to loose. I like my draw on the other side of medium.

Cigar lit very easily. Expecting the big Spicy flavor to start out with, but it was there but quite a bit more subdued I thought than other Pepin sticks. First thought that comes to mind is “Refined”. Tobacco seems well grown, superbly selected, perfectly aged and blended. Quite frankly in only the first couple puffs I forgot that the better part of the cigar (as is usually the case) was yet to come. Burn was slightly ragged, but required no touch-ups, and always self-corrected. Ash has never been a big deal to me, strictly an aesthetic in my mind. I was surprised, though, to see the ash drop at ¾ of an inch.

IMG_1179.jpg

2nd third the refinement comes through even more in the flavor now. Still has the spicy backdrop, but it is a complement to the tobacco, smooth and never overpowering. Burn has evened up a little. For the first time in a while I am getting my first signs of nicotine. For me I always feel it first in my upper jaw muscles. Don’t know why, but when I used to dip that is always where I felt it first. I am not running for the sugar bowl just yet – it doesn’t seem to be taking over, as is usually the case with a nicotine rush. Just noticed the finish on this cigar – I would say medium length and slightly creamy (I hate those kind of descriptive words for tobacco). Again the ash dropped at about ¾ inch, and I would call it “flaky” light gray on the surface and charcoal gray to the center.

Past ½ way and the burn “ragged up” a bit more, but always self corrects – again not a big deal to me if it self corrects and doesn’t get off track too much, which this cigar doesn’t. Slight split in the wrapper that I am sure will burn through fine, but I get to see how thin the wrapper is – I don’t like to do it, but any long term aging for this cigar you might consider “celoing” these for protection of the wrapper. Slightly less smooth here, I think I should have purged after the last ash, but still excellent flavor. Nicotine has not taken over (it is 0900 after breakfast BTW).

Forgot to mention plenty of smoke and the cigar needs little attention – when you puff it gives you great smoke and than settles down when you put it down on the ash tray without burning too much. Pick it up two minutes later and the first puff gives loads of smoke.

Still looking for the smooth flavor I had back at the beginning of the 2nd third so I dropped the ash and “blow-purged”. Right back to where it was – you might want to remember to purge I forget all the time. Entering last 1/3 and the taste is still great. Finish I think has lengthened to almost a long finish with nice flavor. Wow, nice flavor. Don’t waste any of this cigar with tar buildup or off-taste, purge when you need to. Nicotine ache in the jaw is gone, no head-spin, hiccups, or gut rumble. But you still know there is a little kick to this cigar.

Again the thought of refinement comes up with this cigar. Kind of elegant taste to it. Seems very well aged and the blend has had ample time to mingle and settle together. In the morning I am having it with coffee and it is a nice pairing, but the smoothness (toned down spice) makes me think it would be perfect for a smooth cognac, a GOOD smooth blended scotch, or maybe even some Port. Too much typing I guess - I am surprised that I just had the cigar go out on me in its last third. Re-light and no loss in flavor though.

Very fine cigar – Thanks Ricky. I am a “cheap-assed” bargain hunter mostly, but keep the requisite stock of Pepins, VSGs, Puro Sols, LGs, and Cien Anos, etc on hand. I will definitely keep my eye out for deals on these. I put it up there with the Blue labels and 8/11s, which are my current Pepin favorites (although keep in mind I haven’t smoked a whole bunch of Pepins). Maybe just slightly less in the flavor department, but again I go back to the word “REFINED” with this cigar. Perhaps an 8/11 would take center stage and dominate your palate (which isn’t bad necessarily), but I picture this cigar as a great accompaniment to a fine meal. I think it would go well with dessert (say chocolate) and also pair nicely with any beverage you choose – emphasis on smoothness. BTW, well into the final 1/3rd and still very nice!! At 1 hour and 20 minutes now. I’ll give it 5-10 minutes more – to the nub it could be 1+40 minutes or more. The construction and ability to sip on this cigar without the worry of it going out allow for a long smoking experience if you so desire. Make sure to store/smoke this stick (like all Pepins) at low humidity.

IMG_1181.jpg

This cigar is a STRONG RECOMMEND in my book!!! – thanks again for the opportunity Ricky.

FOR GAUGING PURPOSES THE NAME IS 12STONES!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back