shilala beads

rack04

Addie's Daddy
I received 4 sticks of 65% RH beads from shilala a few weeks ago. Included with the beads was a 1 page guide on how to use, recondition, and care for the bead sticks. Instructions are very clear but having shilala available to answer any questions is extremely valuable. Bottom line is that I couldn't be happier with these beads. It's amazing how steady these hold the RH and how quick they stabilize after opening and closing the humidor lid. Thanks again shilala for these great bead sticks.

I received 4 sticks of 65% RH beads from shilala a few weeks ago. Included with the beads was a 1 page guide on how to use, recondition, and care for the bead sticks. Instructions are very clear but having shilala available to answer any questions is extremely valuable. Bottom line is that I couldn't be happier with these beads. It's amazing how steady these hold the RH and how quick they stabilize after opening and closing the humidor lid. Thanks again shilala for these great bead sticks.

I picked up some of them also and can not belive how well the work one of the smartest purchases I ever made:tu:tu

I lost my page with the care for instructions....I think I need to recharge mine...can someone tell me how to?

I plan to get some of these myself when he has his next "garage sale"... The dude know whereof he speaks.

Scott gave me some in a bomb he sent me. They are in one of my desktop humis. I just bought enough in his latest garage sale to start up my wine cooler....:tu

I lost my page with the care for instructions....I think I need to recharge mine...can someone tell me how to?

I think you just put a glass of water in the humi near the beads. You definitely should not put water directly on the beads (according to shilala).

I also enjoyed dealing with shilala, got several bags of beads from him for my coolidor. It jumped right to 65rh within hours and has stayed there...he nailed the exact amount required for size of the cooler.

I am very pleased with mine as well. I have had my HYDRA turned off for 4 days (checking for leaks in my Cabinet), and my cabinet is dead on 65%. I am rearranging the shelving so that the Hydra can work better, without cycling so much. Great beads:tu

Have to agree here. I got some of his beads in a trade for some Short Stories. They work, they just work. I almost want to re-calibrate my hygro b/c I never have to re-condition the beads (almost) and they hold a constant 65% in my humi and vinotemp. Great job Scott, and great review.

Jay

I got some from shilila as well, they're great and i couldn't be happier, they hold RH so well and they were relatively cheap

I concur!! In last month's bombing Shilala sent me some knowing I would have a dier need for proper humidification in my coolers. Boy was he right and boy do the beads work great.....65% all the time!!

Here you go I scanned it for you.
Good looking out :tu

Does anyone know how long you should leave a class of distilled water in the humi with the Shilala/HF Beads. I think this would be a better way of recharging my beads, but I left a cup of water in my humie for a couple of hours before and I couldn't notice a change in the "dryness" of the beads, they still looked white. My RH went up in the humi, it is normally in the 64 to 66 range, by the end of the 2 hours it was at 71.

Can someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong, or if I just need to wait longer.

Here is what I'm working with:
1- 1 oz stick from Shilala
1 - 1/2 pound of HF Beads

Last edited:
Well I have 18 ounces of the HCS beads (I think that is what the fine beads are called) in my wine cooler - got them yesterday, put them in with a little pan of water, the humidity was up over 70% within an hour, took the pan out and filled it with my best cigars. It is rock steady at 65% since this morning. The only bad thing was I have this wine cooler stuffed full and I still have enought cigars left over to fill a second wine cooler....guess I'll be picking up another one....

Good looking out :tu

Does anyone know how long you should leave a class of distilled water in the humi with the Shilala/HF Beads. I think this would be a better way of recharging my beads, but I left a cup of water in my humie for a couple of hours before and I couldn't notice a change in the "dryness" of the beads, they still looked white. My RH went up in the humi, it is normally in the 64 to 66 range, by the end of the 2 hours it was at 71.

Can someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong, or if I just need to wait longer.

Here is what I'm working with:
1- 1 oz stick from Shilala
1 - 1/2 pound of HF Beads

Hey coop,
On the HCS beads...
The color means nothing. There are no chemicals in them, therefore no color changes.
The very best thing to use in your humi to add a little vapor to the beads is a sponge. Wet it, wring it out good, and sit it on a little dish or cellophane.
The beads won't recharge in a couple hours. The water has to have time to evaporate. You have to be patient.
A glass of water provides very litte surface area for evaporation and will take far longer to work than a sponge.
Rely very heavily on the direction sheet. It's super important.
If you use those directions to maintain your heartfelt beads, it'll extend their useful life dramatically, as well, because the beads won't turn to dust on you as they do when you pour water on them.
If you need to talk to me, my cell is 814-771-0912. Don't be afraid to call.
Good Luck my man!!!
Scott

Scott, Thanks for the help. I didn't have a fresh sponge to work with, so I placed a wide round bowl in the base of my humi, and filed it about an ince deep. This is the most surface area that I could come up with at the moment. The RH is up to 70% only after two hours. I'm going to let it set overnight, hopefully I'll be good to go by then.

Coop

Back