shop refuses to sell opus...

barbourjay

random cigar bum
so i've been on the hunt for some robustos and i called a shop that was referred to me by another member on here. the sales rep answered and said they would sell me two robustos. i was fine with whatever they would sell. they took my name and all my info and then about half an hour later i get a phone call from the owner stating they only sell opus to their regular purchasing clients. personally i'll never order anything from a shop with an attitude like that. it was over two cigars after all. not like i was asking for a whole box and they just lost all the future business from me as well. wouldn't the Newmans who are in charge of distribution be upset that a dealer is refusing to sell any of their product? i wonder what that shop would say to a tourist who walked in and saw what they had and wanted to purchase a few. opinions?

yes i know i miss-keyed the title but can't edit it.

Re: shop reguses to sell opus...

That policy is not at all uncommon.

It is, however, a little strange (and rather disconcerting) that the shop agreed to sell them to you and then reneged.

And I'll fix the title for you.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that they called you back and told you that they would not do it. If it were me, even if i had such a store policy, I would definitely not call someone back and cancel an order that one of my employees made... I just hate the whole hunting for Opus' I personally find it frustrating and choose not to do it anymore.

-Matt

I think it is probably a ploy to try to get you to join thei club and pay 10 bucks for a card with their logo and your name on it... on the same note I would simply state that if that is their stance, you will make sure to dissuade this entier forum and any other botl/sotl in your area away from them, say it in a non agressive tone but make your intent clear. You had arrangment sorted out in good faith and it was cancled for a very poor reason i na poor fashion. Even if they said we dont do this but we will sell you one this time... that would be ok u know?

bigben, i agree and i let them know that i was recomended their shop by a client of theirs who i've done a few trades with and he just did not care. honestly, it's two cigars and not worth me argueing with the owner about. i just figured i'd post here and get some opinions. i do think that it's part of their contract not to refuse a sale on their products but don't know for sure.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that they called you back and told you that they would not do it. If it were me, even if i had such a store policy, I would definitely not call someone back and cancel an order that one of my employees made... I just hate the whole hunting for Opus' I personally find it frustrating and choose not to do it anymore.

-Matt

you can call the shop and try to place an order also if you want. PM me for the number, i'm trying to keep their name out of this until i know for sure if they are breaking the rules of their contract with the Newmans.

I think if they are going to sell to their regular customers only, and only receive a couple boxes a year, that is fine...but don't display the box on the shelves so you have to tell a tourist or first-time customer he can't buy one.

I think if they are going to sell to their regular customers only, and only receive a couple boxes a year, that is fine...but don't display the box on the shelves so you have to tell a tourist or first-time customer he can't buy one.

this was over the phone though. i just brought that up wondering what they would do if a first timer walked in their shop. i see them as kinda the same thing.

this was over the phone though. i just brought that up wondering what they would do if a first timer walked in their shop. i see them as kinda the same thing.

I understood your issue, I was just kinda responding to the "what if" scenario you had in your initial post. Bad deal either way. :)

Just when you think you are up and all set........boom a big upset.

Looks like he is taking care of his regular customers. Can not blame him, they keep him alive.

Thats why I always say if you like these cigars it is always good to patronize your local B&M. The usually/always take care of their loyals.

word, just wanted to clarify. i get a little carried away sometimes so i don't want someone thinking i was there.

but let's contrast this to two other vendors. one i've never dealt with at all, i got their number from a member here and was able to order the 25 double robusto's i needed over the phone from them. then another vendor from NY who posts here (uptown cigars) who i called and spoke with. he's offered to sell me large quantities and has sold me a grip of cigars so far. finally another vendor from PA who has sold me anything he has gotten in no problems also. i was just kinda shocked at this situation and this guy lost a client(s) for life. first time i've ever had someone call me back telling me they weren't going to sell me anything.

Thats why I always say if you like these cigars it is always good to patronize your local B&M. The usually/always take care of their loyals.

i have to rely elsewhere for opus, the locals here limit everyone. i might get a few above the limit (6-8 singles on average vs. the 2-4 limit) but not enough.

Had the same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago.

I was calling a shop for some anejos in Texas from a number that was given to me by a member here on CS. Well the shop owner asked me where I lived and I told him....the next comment he made was umm nope not gonna sell them to you.

So it happens quite a bit. My local B&M was the same with anejos. They saved them for the loyal walk-in customers so I managed to get 2 of the ones they had which was only 3 of the 6 sizes. With the wonderful BOTL's on here I have finally managed to get 2 of each size for this year so I can find my favorite next holiday season. :tu

I was calling a shop for some anejos in Texas from a number that was given to me by a member here on CS. Well the shop owner asked me where I lived and I told him....the next comment he made was umm nope not gonna sell them to you.

i bet it was the same shop. i'll pm you

That is nauseating.

I would take the owner aside and have a polite but frank conversation. Tell him you usually spend X amount on cigars each month, and have friends that also smoke. It is hard to find a good tobacconist, and you would like to be considered welcome at a store you would like to do future business in. I would then tell him that that kind of policy (if he has them on display) certainly doesn't give you a good impression of his practices. Essentially telling a customer you don't appreciate his patronage and perhaps a good share of his purchases throughout the year is shooting themselves in the foot in the current politically correct atmosphere surrounding any form of tobacco. Each potential customer should be treated like gold to a business that is in the process of sauntering down memory lane, such as the local hardware store, haberdashery, and butcher.
On a side note, not ever having had an Opus, I may be talking out my rear end, and they are God-like cigars worth the retailers elitist attitude.

But I doubt it.

Snubbing any new customer for the sake of a couple bucks extra profit seems counterproductive to me. I do understand that taking care of a client base might require some special treatment, and a box or two hidden away, but if you are going to treat your "loyal" customers to a "higher standard" of service, it also isn't in your best interest to tell your "unwashed unworthy" customers they do not have proper situationally correct currency.

I just hate the whole hunting for Opus' I personally find it frustrating and choose not to do it anymore.-Matt

:tpd:I used to do it years ago but not in a long time. If I do get any I usually give them away to friends and clients. Now I buy much better cigars from the comfort of my nice leather chair in my office. ;) It can still be a little "stressful" but I save on gas running from shop to shop. :D

My shop saves them for the regulars too. Which I appreciate because of the amount of money I spend there.

I can completely understand a shop in another state not wanting to sale two Opus'. When I first read it I thought you were talking about a shop more local that you would drive to after the phone conversation.

I would be curious as to how much they sale via mail order at this place. Most B&M's that do minimal shipping would do the same. They are going to sell out of these, so why not allow the locals who support them on the non hard to find cigars have the advantage of purchasing them?

okierock (brad) ran into a similar issue with a TinderBox here in OKC when it came to Anejos < hope I spelled that right.

He wanted one just one and they would not sell it to him.

I agree

Back