Shower Review - Pontalba Robusto

I originally got this idea from another thread, and in the wake of our new anti-smoking laws (Illinois), I decided to give this a try, as an alternative. With restaurants banning smoking, this is my only refuge in winter now. I chose a small cigar from my stash, a Pontalba slightly shorter than robusto. Observing the cigar, it seemed well-made, an even mahogany color, and smelled great, woodsy, heavenly. The wrapper was gold-on-black, simple but classy. I figured since I didn't know what 2008 would bring me, my first stick would be something I knew nothing about:

I grabbed a towel, set the hot water running, and picked up my favorite tools: a craftsmans bench cutter and ronson lighter, the absolute best cutter and lighter for the income-challenged gorilla:

Grabbing the cigar, I prepared to light, having no expectations. I had never heard of this brand, so it could be a dog-rocket, a gerbil, or even some sort of vintage cigar. Hoping for a good smoke, I stopped to take a quick pick of myself w/stogie, so ya'll can see what I look like:

First light went smooth, an even burn. I wet myself down and soaped the best I could with one hand, but keep having to stop: this was one of the best cigars I had smoked! That woodsy taste came through, a deep flavor, a bit harsh but good. I vaguely wondered what these would taste like with another years rest to smooth them. As I smoked I blew smoke at the ceiling, but noticed it seemed to hang there for awhile. Not a good sign. Soon the smoke dissapeared completely into the steam (I like hot showers).

Coming up on the second third, the flavor of the cigar suddenly dropped off. I took a moment to observe the ash, which was strong and firm. I even tried a tap at this point, but the ash wouldn't budge! It was not quite an even white, but looked very good IMO. Burn was (surprisingly!) very straight, despite the incredible humidity in the shower:

At this point I began to notice a few external problems. My eyes were stinging a little from the smoke, and it was becoming difficult to breath in such steamy air. I soldiered on though, and was rewarded. That deep woodsy, almost nutty flavor picked up again. While I cannot say that I have the 'buds to notice distinct flavors, I could tell that this was a bit of a complex cigar as well. No Opus or aged Cohiha, but it wasn't exactly a one-trick Backwoods either. Maybe someone else can pick one up and better describe it...

As I was coming up on the last third, I had a dilemma: I couldn't see because my eyes were stinging, I couldn't get enough oxygen in the air to stay conscious, and my other hand was too wet to safely pick off the band. I was feeling quite dizzy, either from nicotene, lack of air, overheating, or all three. So, I had to leave this cigar unfinished, even as the stick was clearly winding up to what, I expect, was an amazing finish. Luckily I was traded two of these, so I can later compare in a more dry atmosphere.

Overall, either this was an excellent stick, or the shower-heightened-senses thing works! I may have to try again with a Short Story, to find out which. I did learn a few lessons though:

1) Get proper venilation! My fan is dying, and that lead to having to finish early.
2) Steam doesn't stop all the 'smoke' smell. Some got out under the door, and more still in the bathroom. All-plastic shower curtains might help.
3) Showers get boring after a half hour. Maybe a radio would help?

So, I recommend this stick, and (so far) recommend against smoking in the shower. In a few months I will probably replace my fan motor and try a test with two Short Stories, wet vs dry smoking. Thanks Silound for the idea!

Last edited:
I'm seriously surprised this hasn't drawn any response... One of the weirdest & funny reviews I've read in quite a while!!! Thanks for sharing, I think... :ss

Now that I've wiped the coffee off my monitor and keyboard and changed my shirt I have three comments.

1. You should have posted a warning at the front telling people not to drink coffee while reading this review.

2. You should have posted this in the joke forum also.

3. What were you drinking before you decided this was a good idea?
:r:r

Good idea or not.... who else is going to try this??

I figure if I am doing an experiment, I should be able to smoke in the house right... it's for the betterment of science!!

Perhaps a pretty little smoking partner? ;)

I'm down if you provide the smokes
dodgy.gif

Disclaimer: The "dodgy" smiley implies sarcasm.

I read that shower idea thread too and wanted to try but I live in a condo with a tiny water heater so I decided to take a bath instead. Figured I ran and worked out and need a soak to relax anyways. The smoke smell definitely stayed in the room. Plus I got the ash on the tub and that was hard to get out. Gf yelled at me about it so I'm guessing I won't be trying that again. Plus it wasn't as relaxing and enjoyable as I imagined it would be.

Please don't make fun of me for taking a bath.

Great Review!!!:r

gamayrouge (Tam) tried this same experiment based on the thread mentioned. He was less fortunate. He shared his story last week at our NorCal Herf. We were laughing our butts off. :r

I'll let him know about this thread!

Very funny!!!

ALL you naysaying gorillas take note:

Any gorilla brave enough to post a cigar review WITH proof of his shower herf AND his two favorite morning cocktails is Off The Chart Cool in Joan's Book of Coolness.

And chicks dig it! :tu

Dang, that's some funny stuff!

What was that show in the early 80's with Lee Major, where he ended every day with a cigar in his bathtub on his porch?

Back