Simple Question

Master of Disaster

Maturing Primate
I think this is a simple question, but I bet I'll get a thousand different opinions on the answer.

One of my favorite "go-to" cigars is the Padron x000 series. Especially Maduro. I love them. Yesterday I went to my box at about 1:00p to have a little "sit on the porch" time. After going through my options I settled on old faithful and pulled out the 3000M. I went outside and lit it up..... and kind of suffered through it. Here's what I mean: It tasted hot, strong, TOO peppery, harsh... I mean it was kind of like work to smoke it for an hour.

I am NOT asking what was wrong with the cigar. What I'm asking is this: Is it more likely that the problem was the cigar or me? Was I "in the mood" for a different flavor profile, or didn't have a clean palate, or something else that could be explained away by pointing at me? or is it more likely that the cigar was different than I am used to?

Simply:
Who's fault? Mine or Padron?

Master of Disaster said:
I am NOT asking what was wrong with the cigar. What I'm asking is this: Is it more likely that the problem was the cigar or me? Was I "in the mood" for a different flavor profile, or didn't have a clean palate, or something else that could be explained away by pointing at me? or is it more likely that the cigar was different than I am used to?

Simply:
Who's fault? Mine or Padron?

No doubt you'll get 50/50 on the answer. IMHO, it was probably the cigar. Being a HUGE fan of the Padron 2, 3, 4000 series, I know there is sometimes a stinker in the batch. When I say stinker, I mean EXACTLY what you describe..."...hot, strong, TOO peppery, harsh" and I, too, will suffer through it. When they're good, they are awesome...however, when there is one bad, it's REALLY harsh! I have found this happening a little less with the "natural" line, so I've stuck mainly with those.

Every leaf is different, friend. There's no way all the cigars can be exactly the same. Sometimes the difference is small and other times not so small. If you are a seasoned smoker it is most likely the cigar and not you.

SB

CigarHoss said:
No doubt you'll get 50/50 on the answer. IMHO, it was probably the cigar. Being a HUGE fan of the Padron 2, 3, 4000 series, I know there is sometimes a stinker in the batch. When I say stinker, I mean EXACTLY what you describe..."...hot, strong, TOO peppery, harsh" and I, too, will suffer through it. When they're good, they are awesome...however, when there is one bad, it's REALLY harsh! I have found this happening a little less with the "natural" line, so I've stuck mainly with those.

Had the same experience with a Padron 2000, I think it was because it was a little too dry and burned too hot. Normally they are one of my favorites.

I lit a Padron 3000 a while back and had the same problem. It burned hot and of course had a bad taste the rest of the way through. I complained and someone on the forum stated that it was probably a bad one. I always ticks me off when I get a bad stick. :mad:

I had a 3000 that was just horrible once. It was the only padron I didn't enjoy. I just smoked a Padron Londres that I won on cigarbid.com. For a small stick it burned pretty cool.

I've had a few Padrons like that, but sometimes if I'm a bit tense & something's bothering me, then I do believe that it will color my perception of the performance of the cigar.......sooooo, I don't really know. :D

Back