Single Malt Scotch of Choice

dagrinch

No longer a community member.
Lately I have been into Talasker and Glenrothes. Both nice and smooth since i generally drink it neat or on the rocks.

Grinch OUT!!!

I don't have ONE of choice, I tend to try many of them, I have several brands I come back to over and over though.
For favorite brands I like Oban, Aberlour, Auchentoshan, Ardbeg, Bunnaihabhain and Highland Park probably the most.
Just recently I picked up some Caol Ila which is really nice, has everything I like about a good Islay malt.
I haven't had glenrothes yet, but I love Talisker, nice little chile pepper of a scotch lol

PaulMac

I have only had a handful of different single malts....I really like Bowmore 12 and Laphroig 10. I tend to like the peaty islay malts a lot. The Macallan 18 I have is very good also.

My fave would be Glenmorangie 15 year old.

Glenmorangie 15 Year Old = Good on the tongue, bad on the wallet :hn

For the price I like GlenLivet. Some friends just went to England though and had "The best scotch ever" supposedly, Springbank. At $30 a glass I'll keep my Glenlivet. Although you can buy this more reasonably online.

Ive tried many but not all brands but I've said it before and I'll say it again:

18 y/o Glenlivit. not to peaty, not to smokey, not too sweet. a perfectly (IMO) balanced scotch.

T

I was recently introduced to Glenrothes 21 year old. I love this stuff and have started to drink it more and more to the chagrin, I suspect, of my former favourite glenmorangie. I just got a bottle of Hart Brothers bottled Glenrothes 33 year old from 1969. Just waiting for the rigt time uncork it. Of course, at the $300-$400 price tag (depending on the exchange rate and source) , I'm not sure it will become my scotch of choice....

I also love Oban.

dagrinch said:
Lately I have been into Talasker and Glenrothes. Both nice and smooth since i generally drink it neat or on the rocks.

Grinch OUT!!!

Tough question to answer. Soo many good ones out there. my quick answer would be anything but glenfiddich.

My go-tos (I separate it into two categories)
-Non-Islay: Macallan 18 and cask strength lines, Highland Parks 12 and 18 (I have still yet to try the 25).
-Islay: I love the iodine of laphroaig and the peatiness and smoothness of the bowmore 18. As for my favorite: the talisker (theoretically a non-islay)... so strong, and full of fire.
I usually do not drink SMs while smoking. It's too much for me.

Has anyone tried the Dalmore "Cigar Malt" ?
Worth trying, or just marketing hype?

I have never had scotch, and don't even know much about it. Do you just drink it dtraight or mix it? I am a very inexperienced drinker... except for beer I have tried a good amount of kinds- but wines, liquor, mixed drinks... I just haven't much experience.. I don't know where to start.

Say I go to the bar to get a scotch, what should I ask for? Just a scotch?
-eef

You and me both, never like the straight scotch. I always get a good german dark pint and smoke.
eef said:
I have never had scotch, and don't even know much about it. Do you just drink it dtraight or mix it? I am a very inexperienced drinker... except for beer I have tried a good amount of kinds- but wines, liquor, mixed drinks... I just haven't much experience.. I don't know where to start.

-eef

eef said:

-eef

If you want to try it I suggest a single malt (I like them better than blends..although JW Blue is good but damn $$$$) Whatever you do don't get the JW Red!

The Aberlour 10, Glenfiddich (less complex but a good beginner scotch and easy to find) and if you want some big peat smoke taste go with an Islay malt....Lapharoig, Bowmore, Lagavulin.

Glenmorargie and Glenfiddich is probably available at most bars also. Honestly I've found most bars don't carry a variety of good single malts unless you go to a high-end steakhouse or a bar that specializes in Whisky.

Scotch can be served neat (no ice), on the rocks or with a splash of water.

eef said:
Thanks Paul, I'll try my first Scotch next time I have the chance.
-eef

I find Glenlivet to be the malt Scotch with the widest availability, with the Glenfiddich right behind it. Both are good starting points into the world of fine malt liquor. Be aware though its another one of those slipperly slopes! :al
As far as ordering it you should ask for it neat (neat is synonymous to straight up but has an air of elitism :D). Also ask for a glass of ice water with it, this way you can try it all 3 ways. I fequently will get a good way into a bottle of scotch before I figure out my favorite way to drink it (sort of like figuring out how much head to cut off of a Torpedo/Belicoso)

-Matt-

eef said:
I have never had scotch, and don't even know much about it. Do you just drink it dtraight or mix it?

-eef

This is a really good question. I've read guides that advise mixing the scotch with water (I prefer soda) since at full strength the alcohol will tend to anesthetize your sense of taste and smell--and you'll miss out on the subtler characteristics of the usually expensive drink.

I would start with a Glenlivet if you don't have much experience. An excellent scotch which is also pretty approachable. Definitely one of my favorites too.

Warning: this stuff will eat your wallet alive :al

Back