Singles in a Vino

I just picked up a vino and have a question on cigar placement. I have 3 trays of singles w/o cello. They are mostly one layer deep. I'm wondering where exactly I should place these inside the unit. Through my many searches I see some have them in the middle in front of the fan and other have them at the top/bottom. If I put them in the middle shelves, won't the cooling fan blowing constantly harm them?
BTW: I have 2lbs of 65% beads and a few oust fans in there.

I have all my loose singles in boxes in my Vino.:bl
:tpd::tpd:

Yes, you don't want to put them in an open tray. Get some boxes for singles. I use the DPG Blue boxes, they fit perfectly side by side and have minimal decoration to keep everything looking nice.

The "open" environment of the Vino is very susceptible to changes, in both temp and RH. By "open" I mean the plastic interior of the Vino. The boxes are really like little "micro-environments" inside the Vino. For instance, you can see the Vino temp and RH go down or even be down for days, but then check the interior of a box and find that it's right on.

So all that today, get boxes for singles :tu

I have all my loose singles in boxes in my Vino.:bl

:tpd::tpd:

Yes, you don't want to put them in an open tray. Get some boxes for singles. I use the DPG Blue boxes, they fit perfectly side by side and have minimal decoration to keep everything looking nice.

The "open" environment of the Vino is very susceptible to changes, in both temp and RH. By "open" I mean the plastic interior of the Vino. The boxes are really like little "micro-environments" inside the Vino. For instance, you can see the Vino temp and RH go down or even be down for days, but then check the interior of a box and find that it's right on.

Me three!

I've got singles in an open top tray in my Vino. Now that its getting warmer, and the Vino is cooling, there is a pretty good drop in RH. I don't have any boxes empty to store them in.

You guys think I can just put something on top of the tray?

Ugh.

I'd like go boxes but I've seen a ton of pics with trays of singles. And since I have mainly trays, I'd thought I may try it. But now I'm wondering if all the pics were from "powered-off" vinos. Is it just the dramatic change in climate that is the problem or is it the fan blowing on them. If it's just the fan I'll figure out a way to deflect it to the bottom/top. It'll be filled with over 2lbs of beads and a few out fans to control the climate but if it's a problem I may have to hunt down some better boxes. I have a few boxes already I picked up at my B&M but the smell is "off" if that makes sense. They smell more like a chemical that they do cedar. I'll also be adding cedar shelves when the "We're in debt up to our eyeballs-but here's a stimulus check" comes from the Govt.

I kepe my singles lying in an open cedar tray in the middle of my vinotemp(idor), I have no "off" odors, humidity problems (burn, draw or other) and they taste just as good as the ones I keep in boxes.

As long as you have plenty of cedar in the fridge and your temp and humidity us under control, feel free to store 'em naked.

The problem I see with leaving singles open is that the Rh drops dramatically each time the Vinotemp cycles. A couple of weeks ago the outside temps jumped to 85+ for three days in a row. After holding solid for two months, my rh dropped below 58 each time the unit cycled. In between cycles the beads could not release moisture fast enough. But I place several hygrometers in different boxes in both Vinotemps. They were solid at 65Rh inside, whether the unit was cycling or not. :tu

I dont know whether the stress of long term storage in these conditions will negatively affect smokes left in the open. But for the cost of a few boxes or trips to the B&M to bum them, I prefer the peace of mind. :2

Using trays in a cooler is not a problem as they are nearly airtight and the sticks see very little fluctuation in Rh.

I am only using 1lb of beads in each Vino, so perhaps 2lbs would give enough Rh recovery to keep the circulating air more stable. :ss

i usually buy my vino in singles, until i know i like it - then i might buy a case...

Back