Smart %&#! B&M

macjoe53

Alpha Silverback
Went to my local B&M and made up my own personal sampler. When I checked out the person at the register said, "Oh. Can't find what you like?" Should my response have been:

A. If you don't like what I buy, I can go somewhere else.
B. I'm just trying to help keep your inventory fresh by removing these from your walk-in humidor.
C. I like cigars like I like women - a wide variety is good.
or D. If I wanted your opinion I would have just bought the most expensive sticks you have.

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with people? That is some BAD customer service.

I would have snickered and said "If I want your opinon, I'll jingle my zipper".

:tu:tu

Nice looking sticks. Mabye the guy was just trying to be funny and not an ass, but then again mabye not... who cares?

Not sure what he was trying to get at there. I would have looked him in the eye, raised one eyebrow, slowly lowered it, and handed him my credit card.

Probably just trying to be helpful that is a pretty good spread of sticks. Although a witty response would have been. "Yeah I still haven't found a shop that doesn't have a55hats running the register."
Nice looking sticks :dr

What the hell is wrong with people? That is some BAD customer service.

I would have snickered and said "If I want your opinon, I'll jingle my zipper".

:tu:tu

:r:r:r. I like that bro, "I'll jingle my zipper."

No but seriously, I literally laughed out loud.

Okay, so I walk into Tinderbox yesterday and this random older gentleman exclaims "Hey, young man! You HAVE to try these Padrons!!!"

I reply: "Oh sir, I have had the 4000 and 5000, I did enjoy them very much. I suggest going with the 3000, however. My personal favorite."

He retorts: "Ehhhh, I know about these, don't worry..."

Then I ask the shop operator: "This might be a longshot, but you guys don't happen to have any OpusX on hand?"

The man butts in: "What the hell is that?"

.... Enough said.

After this whole scenario played out, I picked out a single (I had just received a haul from CBID and didn't feel right plopping serious cash down) Flor Dominicana Maduro. The lady (treating me like I was ignorant) told me "You'd better eat something before smoking that or it will kill you!"

I couldn't believe the experience I was having.

But to top the trip to Tinderbox, as I was purchasing a bottle of butane, a crystal pack, and my stogie select... The lady cards me... I had just about had it. I was forced to forfeit the stick due to my ID being seized a few days prior.

I will probably not return to that Tinderbox.

some of you guys are way to sensitive and are just looking for reasons to bitch it seems. Dollars to donuts says it was a joke because of the wide spread in types of sticks

relax Francas.

So you must be up in Kenwood or Tri-County area?

If you are in Kenwood I'd just head north up to Bell's House of Tobacco. The guy there is really cool.

If near Tri-County head up to Jungle Jim's.

Granted carding could still be an issue.

Okay, so I walk into Tinderbox yesterday and this random older gentleman exclaims "Hey, young man! You HAVE to try these Padrons!!!"

I reply: "Oh sir, I have had the 4000 and 5000, I did enjoy them very much. I suggest going with the 3000, however. My personal favorite."

He retorts: "Ehhhh, I know about these, don't worry..."

Then I ask the shop operator: "This might be a longshot, but you guys don't happen to have any OpusX on hand?"

The man butts in: "What the hell is that?"

.... Enough said.

After this whole scenario played out, I picked out a single (I had just received a haul from CBID and didn't feel right plopping serious cash down) Flor Dominicana Maduro. The lady (treating me like I was ignorant) told me "You'd better eat something before smoking that or it will kill you!"

I couldn't believe the experience I was having.

But to top the trip to Tinderbox, as I was purchasing a bottle of butane, a crystal pack, and my stogie select... The lady cards me... I had just about had it. I was forced to forfeit the stick due to my ID being seized a few days prior.

I will probably not return to that Tinderbox.

I'm surprised a Tinderbox Store was not up and up on the Opus. Oh well. I wasn't there so I couldn't see the manner in which that lady spoke to you, but just from reading here, it looks like she was trying to give you a helpful bit of advice. You can't assume that every person understands your cigar knowledge, just as you sometimes assume that people should know the same things you do.

Sucks about the ID. I'm 36 and still get carded for cigarettes on a regular basis.

My answer would have been "none of the above, fill in the blank"

I would have said, nope.
Can't find it so had to settle for these crumbs you have here.

some of you guys are way to sensitive and are just looking for reasons to bitch it seems. Dollars to donuts says it was a joke because of the wide spread in types of sticks

relax Francas.

Thanks for setting us straight, Francis. :rolleyes:

About the ID thing. I don't know about other states but in SC if you are caught selling beer or tobacoo to someone underaged they will take your drivers license and you will also lose your job. Seems that it is better to be cautious than not. About the rest all I can say is that maybe they were trying to be helpful or maybe not but usually the person experiencing it first hand can tell by tone of voice and such.:2

relax Francas.

I don't think we are looking for a reason to bitch. That is a quintessential Bill Engvall here is your sign moment. The rest of us are just playing along. I would have been thrown off by a comment like that if I had never met the person before.

So you must be up in Kenwood or Tri-County area?

If you are in Kenwood I'd just head north up to Bell's House of Tobacco. The guy there is really cool.

If near Tri-County head up to Jungle Jim's.

Granted carding could still be an issue.

I didn't mind the carding, it was just the fact that the carding was on top of all the aforementioned B&M atrocities. :ss I've been to Bell's House of Tobacco, it's right by my residence. They're great there! And yes, the Tinderbox of which I speak is the Tri-County location.

I'm surprised a Tinderbox Store was not up and up on the Opus. Oh well. I wasn't there so I couldn't see the manner in which that lady spoke to you, but just from reading here, it looks like she was trying to give you a helpful bit of advice. You can't assume that every person understands your cigar knowledge, just as you sometimes assume that people should know the same things you do.

Sucks about the ID. I'm 36 and still get carded for cigarettes on a regular basis.

Definately, and she was a little :BS in the manner of which she spoke to us.

However, due to a few other posts on this thread, I feel it necessary to say my opinion. It's not "bitching" persay, I believe it is simply information sharing about B&M experiences and expressing what bothers us. That's why I love these forums. You can vent a little, gather opinions and information, and act on them. Besides, Macjoe53 did post a nice pic of his haul... :tu

relax Francas.

I strongly agree here. Most B&M's dont get many people who know about cigars. If the people knew alot about cigars, they would prolly buy online. That being said, if you would have used it to spark a conversation about how much you love learning about different cigars, you might have a shoe for the "sought after" cigars that most people want. Building a relationship with your B&M is pretty important. They can open doors for you, that you had no idea existed.

I do not think you were bitching, I find it both funny and interesting when people share stories like that.

Back