Smokefree England... and then some

D. Generate

El Dudarino
England is going smoke free in July. Now there is a movement to push this ban to outdoor areas as well. It's really nothing new, but it's a crappy sign of the times.

Here's a link to a brilliantly insightful post regarding it. In full disclosure I should say that it's my blog. I'm not above whoring for additional hits, but there is a link within to the Guardian that contains the relevant story.

I am heading to Ireland in October Dale, and apparently they have been smoke-free in the pubs for a while now... :mad:

I am heading to Ireland in October Dale, and apparently they have been smoke-free in the pubs for a while now... :mad:

They were the first to go. :mad: The first time I went to Ireland they were already smoke free. However all the pubs and haunts in the Temple Bar district of Dublin had outdoor smoking with patio heaters. Given that it was January, that was most welcome. There are a lot of smokers in Ireland, at least Dublin, and they do accommodate them as well as possible. If you're going to Dublin, I can recommend a couple of places. As to the rest of Ireland, I'm clueless.

Woah, wait a minute. Can't you get free syringes in England to shoot up drugs?

But smoking no good?

hahaha.

Please disregard if I'm wrong about the syringe thing. It may be a misnomer.

England is going smoke free in July. Now there is a movement to push this ban to outdoor areas as well. It's really nothing new, but it's a crappy sign of the times.

Here's a link to a brilliantly insightful post regarding it. In full disclosure I should say that it's my blog. I'm not above whoring for additional hits, but there is a link within to the Guardian that contains the relevant story.

i think its bloody stupid that at the very least cigar bars, and cigar shops arn't allowed to continue smoking inside!

it should be a choice, if i dont want to go to a smoking pub, i don't have to. No no smoking pubs? that's because no one would go to one, unless it was forced.

argh, only a month left :(.

i know alot of irish pubs converted outside, and made nice places where you can smoke, hopefully that'll happen in england - although it shouldn't have to.

My dad has a car from work, although he doesn't smoke, he isn't allowed to smoke if he wanted to inside it, and he has to put up no smoking signs; He's the only person who can drive it, it's a work car, that he uses exclusively, that's crazy to me.

like i say, if no smoking pubs were wanted, they would come about, evolve if you will, naturally. As with most things.

Now, Lets hope they don't stop us smoking on the streets, because, if i'm forced to sit outside (not so bad in the summer) I dont want to be forced not to smoke atall.

rant over lol

Will be interesting to see what happens!

andy

Take advantage of the time left, Dale, and I will hope things settle down for all of us in terms of easing of bandwagon laws being passed. I hope they are as accommodating in London as they try to be some other places, but I won't hold my breath. It sounds like they are going extreme if they're talking about outdoor bans.

Here across the pond in the land of the free we aren't so free. They've already enacted complete smoking bans in certain Southern California cities. That means no smoking whatsoever out or inside. they've also banned it at some of the beaches.

Now, Lets hope they don't stop us smoking on the streets, because, if i'm forced to sit outside (not so bad in the summer) I dont want to be forced not to smoke atall.

andy

The whole "fear of smoke" thing really erks me, it always reminds me when lobbyist and special interest groups just fear mongered alcohol bans into the constitution during prohibition. The effect? Alcohol in general is now seen as a vice here in the states instead of something positive, which hurts in the long run as kids here just drink to get drunk.

IMO, on private property, whether or not you can smoke should be at the sole discretion of the owner of the property. A business should have the right to determine if they want to allow smoking or not. As others have said, if you don't like to be around smokers, take your business elsewhere.

I also don't buy the argument that it's for the employees benefit. They don't have to work there if they don't want to.

That's the beautiful thing about freedom, you have the right to choose what you do. More and more, people think they have a right to never be bothered or offended, and it seems like a lot of people think that anything that bothers anybody ought to be illegal.:c

IMO, on private property, whether or not you can smoke should be at the sole discretion of the owner of the property. A business should have the right to determine if they want to allow smoking or not. As others have said, if you don't like to be around smokers, take your business elsewhere.

I also don't buy the argument that it's for the employees benefit. They don't have to work there if they don't want to.

That's the beautiful thing about freedom, you have the right to choose what you do. More and more, people think they have a right to never be bothered or offended, and it seems like a lot of people think that anything that bothers anybody ought to be illegal.:c

If you ever run for Governor of Illinois, I'll vote for you. :tu

Back