Smoking and being sick...

OtterAKL4987

Blathering Elite Wannabe
I am down with the flu or some sort of cold. I am coming out of it a bit today and was wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't light up? It is a beautiful day here in Missouri, 64 and sunny. Any advice is appreciated.

This is a catch-22. Provided your breathing is OK I don’t see anything with smoking a cigar. However, know that your taste buds will most likely be affected by your illness. With that in mind I would probably smoke something that’s not too fancy (Opus or aurora or 1926) as not to “waste” a cigar, but, I would still want something that was medium to full bodied so I could taste or enjoy it. Therefore, I would light up a Rocky Sungrown or 1000 series Padron. Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say opinions are like.:2

If you don't feel it would be too irritating, I would say go for it.
I would take Lynngod's advice though.

This is a catch-22. Provided your breathing is OK I don’t see anything with smoking a cigar. However, know that your taste buds will most likely be affected by your illness. With that in mind I would probably smoke something that’s not too fancy (Opus or aurora or 1926) as not to “waste” a cigar, but, I would still want something that was medium to full bodied so I could taste or enjoy it. Therefore, I would light up a Rocky Sungrown or 1000 series Padron. Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say opinions are like.:2

same thing I was thinking :cb

I lit up today for the first time in a while due to bad congestion, but I couldnt taste a darn thing. :hn It'll be another 2 weeks before Im able to smoke the padron 80th I was saving for new years. :mad:

If you don't feel it would be too irritating, I would say go for it.
I would take Lynngod's advice though.

Years ago I got pneumonia and, on a friend's advice, I found that smoking a cigarette was just the thing to help my breathing. Don't laugh, it worked! So, like everything else cigars, the proof of the thing is in the smoking. If it feels good - do it. Just make sure you smoke something you can toss at the first sign of trouble or discomfort.

Take it slow is my only advice. I was coming out the funk yesterday, but waited till today. So as I type, I'm enjoying a nice Punch Gran Puro robusto....hmmmm...
Hope you get to feeling better.

Take it slow is my only advice. I was coming out the funk yesterday, but waited till today. So as I type, I'm enjoying a nice Punch Gran Puro robusto....hmmmm...
Hope you get to feeling better.

Punch Gran Puro, Good inexpensive flavorful cigar to try out in this situatioin.

Dont smoke your good sticks.

I was just keep drinking that knob creek

Yeah, that has been getting me through the sh*tty times. Knob Creek neat and then off to bed under as many blankets as I can find. Think I'm gonna man up and smoke a cigar that I wouldn't mind tossing if I have to tonight. Thanks guys!

Years ago I got pneumonia and, on a friend's advice, I found that smoking a cigarette was just the thing to help my breathing. Don't laugh, it worked! So, like everything else cigars, the proof of the thing is in the smoking. If it feels good - do it. Just make sure you smoke something you can toss at the first sign of trouble or discomfort.

University of Illinois said:
Smoke irritates the bronchial passages, which prolongs the cold symptoms. Refrain from smoking on those days when the cough and scratchiness of the throat are a problem

I would go with the University Medical Staff advice personally. It may have helped your breathing temporarily, but it will prolong the illness.

Back