Smoking at 90+ humidity

kgraybill

ChestBeater
I was outside trying to have a smoke but it was hard to keep lit and the draw was a bit tough. I thought my cigar was gonna start dripping with sweat. The stick came out of a 63% humi so I new it was not too high in there. I took my hygrometer outside with me and watched it climb to 90% then went to --%.
I got to build a smoking room!

Bleck I hate hot humid weather. The only thing it is good for is staying inside in the AC. Maybe try going to a local B&M when it gets like that.

Nothing as annoying as a wet smoke. I take all humidifaction devices out of the humis when the weather is like that.

Nothing as annoying as a wet smoke. I take all humidifaction devices out of the humis when the weather is like that.
even if the humidification device Lowes humidity? like 65% RH beads?
I have a high RH adn high temp problem right now that I Am trying to fix.

It sounds like you definatly need a smoking room. I have never had that problem In California, but it souds like a terible climate to smoke in.

I have a high RH and high temp problem right now that I Am trying to fix.

I just had a conversation about this phenomenon...

Cigars seem to just suck up the outside humidity like a sponge...

Maybe dry boxing a stick for a few hrs before going out for a smoke would help... not sure though.... I would love to test this...

Take a cigar from a set humidity (say 65%)

Than somehow measure the rise in humidity level of the cigar outdoors on say 90% humidity....

Impossible to measure?

I don't know.

It can be hell in GA in the summer, no advice here just hang in it will get worse before it gets better:D

It can be hell in GA in the summer, no advice here just hang in it will get worse before it gets better:D
:tpd: Houston's about as bad, I need to light up the instant I get outside. Trips to visit an air conditioned B&M smoking room are a nice luxury this time of year.

I have a high RH and high temp problem right now that I Am trying to fix.

The problem lies in the fact that no matter how the cigar is stored and no matter what conditions are inside the humi, the cigar will very quickly adjust itself to the prevailing humidity as you smoke it.

As air is drawn through the cigar the tobacco will take on the moisture content of the air passing through it. If the cigar is wet and the air is dry, the wrapper will shrink down and split within a minute or two. If the cigar is dryer than the air, it will absorb moisture from the air.

So, for an enjoyable smoke, one has to have an environment that is neither too dry nor too moist.

Ive had simular problems in FL but i find that some smokes still do ok. Have you only tried one brand or multiple and had this problem? I usually am not in the mood to smoke outside in those conditions cause its really not worth the sweat and nastyness!

Just part of another day for us in South Florida.
I have gotten use to it and don't mind.
A shady patio, with TV, with a pool, lake view and a fan and life is good.
Don't even remember it is humid.
That is what happens when you are use to it pretty much year 'round.

If the cigar is wet and the air is dry, the wrapper will shrink down and split within a minute or two. If the cigar is dryer than the air, it will absorb moisture from the air.

I get this all the time here in Iraqistan, so I can definatly relate. Unfortunatly I dont see the Gov't building us a smoking shack anytime soon. Heres to hoping though. :tu

I get this all the time here in Iraqistan, so I can definatly relate. Unfortunatly I dont see the Gov't building us a smoking shack anytime soon. Heres to hoping though. :tu

A big salute from So Cal, Johnny Kay. In view of what you guys are doing over there the gov't. should build you any kind of smoking facility you want.
Come back safely. Larry.:tu

Back