Smoking Room

RedBaron

Lowland Gorilla
So somehow the cigar aliens stopped by my house also and rewired my girlfriend. We are looking at new houses and she has decided to let me turn one room into a smiking room, as long as I research and put in the proper ventilation system (or have it put in), also it has to have a door that seals so smoke doesn't stink up the house. So besides nominating her for girlfriend of the year, I would like to know if anyone else has converted a room into a smoking lounge/room. My plan is to build a humidor into a closet and glass it off, but was curious if I should rip carpet out and put pergo down. Any ideas?

I will hopefully be in the same situation in a few months. I am going to be house hunting and one think I will look for is a room that can be converted into a lounge. It will have a bar, dark harwood floors, Leather Chairs, and maybe even a big ass Plasma on the wall!!

I will look forward to the replies as well!!!

I have no personal experience in the matter, but going from any cigar lounges i've seen i'd say ripping out the carpet and replacing it with something like hardwood is the way to go. Carpet will hold the stale cigar smell, wood floors won't.

You also must, of course, install an obscenely large cabinet humidor ;) :w

I worked in a research MRI suite over the summer and they had a Linden airtight door that automatically sealed when closed.... but i think that's overkill since it was also magnetically shielded and RF-proof.

Is a humidor in a smoking room a good idea? Wouldn't the smoke contaminate the cigars in the humidor or even the cedar?

I screwed up! I just bought a house and I'm trying to figure out where the hell I'm gonna smoke:confused: It'll probably be in the garage or on the porch. Damn cold in the winter:cool:

I think in a properly ventilated room, the smoke would not be an issue for the stored cigars, but once again I could be wrong.

RedBaron said:
So somehow the cigar aliens stopped by my house also and rewired my girlfriend. We are looking at new houses and she has decided to let me turn one room into a smiking room, as long as I research and put in the proper ventilation system (or have it put in), also it has to have a door that seals so smoke doesn't stink up the house. So besides nominating her for girlfriend of the year, I would like to know if anyone else has converted a room into a smoking lounge/room. My plan is to build a humidor into a closet and glass it off, but was curious if I should rip carpet out and put pergo down. Any ideas?
Glad to see the aliens visited you too. Too bad they screwed up and wired her wrong. She approved a smiking room which is way different from a smoking room. Your screwed! Smiking is alien for pocketbook. J/K:r
Glad to see she is working with you on the smoking room. I too agree with the wood floors. After a couple months the carpets will smell like @ss.

Yup -- curious to see what others come up with as well. A house is probably a year or two away, and I have already discussed a "boom boom room" w/my girlfriend, and she approves. Walk-in humi, pool table, bar, leather chairs, big TV, video games, ... etc.

I can't wait, but I also don't know where to start! Only concerns are ventilation and ensuring the smoke doesn't seep through to smell the whole house up.

ToddziLLa said:
Yup -- curious to see what others come up with as well. A house is probably a year or two away, and I have already discussed a "boom boom room" w/my girlfriend, and she approves. Walk-in humi, pool table, bar, leather chairs, big TV, video games, ... etc.

I can't wait, but I also don't know where to start! Only concerns are ventilation and ensuring the smoke doesn't seep through to smell the whole house up.

Not quite the "boom boom room" I envisioned, but nice. I'd have a couple of these in my "boom boom room."

My buddies have a boom boom room in the house they rent, except their version is black walls, black lights a bar and stage and a stripper pole on the stage with mirrors behind it Lots of audio equipment and a backroom for privacy. They usually throw a stripper party once a month.:) So if the GF approved that then my hats off to you.:r

RedBaron -

Sounds like a wonderful idea you have. I would definately remove any carpet and go with hardwoods - ditto on "cloth" covered furniture and stick with woods and leathers, etc. Regarding the walk in humidor - if it's got a good seal, won't that be ok for preventing 99% of the second hand smoke from entering?

on a related note, my wife's idea is to convert our screened in porch into, basically, a 3 season porch. glass it in and install a fireplace for, well, for this time of year. windowns can open wide in the summer time...

gosh, she's neato!

if you put a ventilation system in you dont want to seal the door off, place your vent on the far wall or ceiling away from the door leading into the house. And as the fan draws the smoke out of the room it will pull fresh air from inside the house into you smoking room and as long as you run the fan and completly clean the room when your done you shouldnt have any smell in the rest of you house. Make sure when you buy your fan you check 2 things 1. the noise level of the fan and 2. how many CFM the fan will pull the higher the better.

I'd have one HVAC system for the Walk-in and an other for the smoking room. Draw clean air from the house into the smoking room and exhaust to the outdoors or filter the crap out of it if returning it. Remember that smoke is as bad as roaches and makes it way through floors, walls and ceilings, even when they look tight. Smoke can drift into other parts of the house and stank it up.

Wood floors, paneling, leather covered furniture are least likely to adsorb the smoke and retain the smell. I'd keep the smoke out of the WI just to prevent cross contamination, but have an access to it from the smoking room. I've seen some done for under $10K that were oh very nice. If the room required is small price should go down, IMHO.

one important aspect of your room would be an air purifier to get rid of the smell. (just so it doesnt get that saturated smoke smell) IMHO

Any thoughts on cigar candles? Do they work? It would be a beautiful thing to watch your "big ass plasma" by candle light.

Ive got a buildup under my house that my wife has told me I can turn into my smoking room/man cave.. Its about 700 sq feet, but needs to be finished off.. its probably at least a year away until it gets started, but its all good.. I can't wait! For now, I smoke outside. My man cave will have a TV, DVD player, I'll probably run the the cable down to there, and have a heater, couch, tables, and stereo, with of course, a lot of cigar art.
Scott

Poriggity said:
Ive got a buildup under my house that my wife has told me I can turn into my smoking room/man cave.. Its about 700 sq feet, but needs to be finished off.. its probably at least a year away until it gets started, but its all good.. I can't wait! For now, I smoke outside. My man cave will have a TV, DVD player, I'll probably run the the cable down to there, and have a heater, couch, tables, and stereo, with of course, a lot of cigar art.
Scott
Good luck man... :)

Back