So when did you become the "Cigar Guy"

smokinpoke

Pro Donkey
I come into contact with a ton of people everyday. Sometimes they ask my team members where there is a good place to get a cigar and upon hearing this I wait.....patiently......

Then I hear "Rob we have a person looking for cigars"

That's my cue to small talk the person and see what their intrests are.

Usually they are just interested on finding our local cigar bar. Which I oblige them but ask if they are buying there or bringing their own. Usually they are just wanting to buy and smoke at the bar which I warn them about the prices and if it is early enough in the day I give them directions to a good B&M.

Now lately it's becoming more like I am the guy with the hook up (might just be the Christmas season).

I am now fielding "Hey I want to buy my boss a good cigar do you know any?"

The smartazz in me wants to say "Nope I only smoke shitty cigars" But being a true BOTL I can't do that.

Then I have to ask lots of questions to which the common reply is "I don't know...Can you just go buy something and I will reimburse you."

Then the sinister side of me wants to go sure. And come back with a $50 bill and one cigar for them...a few more for me. I mean a BOTL gotta get smokes some how.

I have gotten calls on my cell phone from ppl I work with when clients have asked where to get a good cigar or pipe tobacco..and I have talked to many clients outside when they are smoking about the hobby and where a good place is here in town to get a good cigar..so yeah I know the feeling..and I have been tipped for the info on a couple occasions..

btw both smokinpoke and I have our job in common so that may have something to do with it....

Shawn

I must be undercover or something, cuz no one at my work asks me about cigars...

I'm that guy with most of my friends/family and at work, at least twice last week one person or another stopped by my office for Christmas gift advice

I've been that guy for the last 15 years or so. I've got scores of wives and girlfriends that hate me for getting they're significant other started on the right track.

It's been a year or so that my buddies ask me a ton of questions about cigars. I'll talk cigars at a bar with someone and usually end up getting free drinks, but giving out about 3-5 cigars in return. I was offered a part-time/weekend job at a local B&M because I know more than their "expert" and the owner of the B&M has become a friend and will openly admit I know more than he does about cigars :ss

This also happens to me, when at work or out socially with people I work, I light up and pass a few smokes out. Within the first few puffs, especially from those who enjoy a good smoke once in a while the question comes..........

"So, how many of these do you have?" And then, they GET it when the answer comes. Most want to know how/why the smoke tastes the way it does. I gave a buddy a "go to" smoke of mine, an Indian Tabac SF corona maduro and he loved it. A few weeks later I gifted him another one, although he did not know it was the same cigar, but right before I handed it to him, he says, "that one last time, the chocolate flavored one was great, whats this one like?" He had no idea it wasn't flavored, but thats the flavor he picked up on. He now wants to get set up.

Rambling I know, but cool to me nonetheless. Being the "cigar guy" is great when you can turn someone onto them.

My boss is always teasing me about CS he tells people at the B&M that I write reviews for Cigar Aficionado. That gets them asking questions. Then he just turns and walks away with this S#$t eating grin on his face. He even had the owner convinced for a while.

The guys who sit in my cube at work know I smoke and have spread the word around the company a bit. I think I knew I became the cigar guy when one of th executives came up to me to ask me what I smoke and where I get my stuff. After talking for about twenty minutes with the guy, he now comes to my desk a lot more frequent to tell me about stuff he's gotten and asks about different stuff to try. I don't have the heart to tell him I've only been smoking for about four months....although I have been doing lots of research, so I guess that counts for something now.

I think eveyone in town knows I smoke cigars. Course having a car license plate saying Cigars4U can't help either. :r I get asked all the time and love it. Anytime I can help or turn someone into a cigar smoker is a pleasure for me. Hell, I always keep extra in the car to give away when asked about smoking cigars. Some call me the "CandyMAN". :r :r

The quality of information that can be found on CS is amazing. I have talked to B&M owners and even cigar company reps who don't have the knowledge that CS holds.

I field questions about cigars quite regularily at work, usually the same group of guys in my group that I've gotten started smoking :tu

I've gotten the "oh crap" look from some cigar reps before when they are discussing certain smokes. Mainly because I read a lot on here and am able to retain loads of mostly useless information, I can spout off random facts about cigars etc. because of this about a year ago I was offered a job at a local b&m, unfortunatly I had to turn it down...

Back