So you only have 90 days to live...

The doctor's tell you you have drop dead disease. 90 days from now you just... drop dead. No cure. You will feel great until... you drop. Assume you will have many things you will have on your list to do in the short period but let's just stick with cigars.

What are you going to smoke, how many times, with whom, and what happens to the cigars you have that you will not have time to smoke?

I thought about this based upon the death of a fellow smoker, and the paperwork from the consultant regarding estate planning arriving today. It got me thinking about "my cigars" I can't smoke 300 a day so...

What say you?

Last edited:
I'd send everything but what I expected to smoke in 90 days to friends as bombs. I'd fly to Venice and smoke the remainder there drink grappa, eat good food, and die happy. (I'd of course invite my friends to venice for the pre-wake)

That's a tough question. My philosphy is when I feel like smoking smoke, when I don't, don't. Given only 90 days to live, I don't know that I'd be focusing so much on burning up my stash, but the ones that I had been saving for a special time just made it to the top of the list.

I may even grow the cigar pile and pick up some rare smokes that I had not purchased in the past. My thinking with smokes like that is the time will come sooner or later.

As far as what to do with what's the in my humidors now? If you gave me the news today, half would go to the care of a brother here to share in good will.

The other half would go to local herfing buddies to enjoy as they saw fit.

The ultimate club stogie contest! Amazing race style for all my smokes.

But seriously, I guess you would have to esteem cigars higher up than other attributes in your life to worry about this type of thing. I of course, have a problem, and do.

Normally, i'd be like Snyder and take it one day at a time but the 90 day concrete day is there. I'd smoke alone for introspection and with friends for levity. I'd defintely have to walk into the DMV or some other government institution with a giant cuban. Just stand there and soak up the enjoyment.

And on the 89th day have a herf with my friends. Give it all away.

On the 90th? Well that would be reserved for my ultra-premium, rare smokes alone on the beach in Belize. And then I would die, not having told any one of my illness.

it's poetic that way. But I don't think that's what you were looking for.

The doctor's tell you you have drop dead desease. 90 days from now you just... drop dead. No cure. You will feel great until... you drop. Assume you will have many things you will have on your list to do in the short period but let's just stick with cigars.

What are you going to smoke, how many times, with whom, and what happens to the cigars you have that you will not have time to smoke?

I thought about this based upon the death of a fellow smoker, and the paperwork from the consultant regarding estate planning arriving today. It got me thinking about "my cigars" I can't smoke 300 a day so...

What say you?

Well, cigarwise this would be fairly easy for me. I only have about 150 so between me and my friends there would be plenty of time to smoke them all. Unless I continued to buy more...

That would still leave most of my time available to spend with my family, which is all I can think of that I would really want to do. That would be some bittersweet time wouldn't it, knowing the time was coming to an end? At least now, even if the remaining time is the same I can be in denial.

Why do you ask questions like this...

oh man, grappa, wow. You better watch it or you won't make it 90 days drinking that gasoline infused nastiness. I had a baaaaaaaaad time with that stuff in Venice. When I brought it home its the only liquor I've ever seen that college students would not drink.

I'd cash out my investments, 401k, etc., call you, Bruce, and maybe a few others if needed, and say "Hey, I have $xxxxx to spend, and I need about 2160 hours worth of cigars to smoke. Can you spare a few crusty cadavers for a dying bastage?" :)

What I didn't smoke of my stash would go to some wonderful people I probably wouldn't have the pleasure to know were it not for the internet and this great hobby.

Of course I would want to spend time with family and friends. I would also want to have cigars with all of my CS friends (another MOB herf would be nice:ss).

As far as the cigars go I am not too picky as I haven't had as many different cigars as most gorillas here, but I would want to have another 98 Partagas. I have had a few of these and I love them.

I'd break into your humidor and smoke all of your cigars.......what are they gonna do, throw a dying man in jail? :r

In actuality, as far as my cigars are concerned the ones I'd smoke as many as I could, with as many friends as I could. The rest would be packaged up to be given to those I'd leave behind to enjoy. Maybe I'd make a dvd for each person, of me sitting there smoking a cigar, pontificating about the adventures we had shared together.:D Then they could have a "virtual herf" with me anytime they felt like it.:D

I know you guys may not want to hear this, but cigars would not be on the top of my list. They would be included, but not on the top.

I would take a day or two and plan a 88 day vacation around the world with my wife. As I come across good smokes, I of coarse would indulge, but seeing everything I can before I go would be my priority.

Thanks for making me think of my demise.:hn

How is that a vacation if your wife is with you?!?

:)

I would take a day or two and plan a 88 day vacation around the world with my wife. As I come across good smokes, I of coarse would indulge, but seeing everything I can before I go would be my priority.

I have already thought this out.
I don't think I would really load up on smoking more than I currently smoke now, so I'd have plenty left.
I know I'd leave a bunch to my brother-in-law cause he'd definitely appreciate them. As for the rest, I have a few people's addresses here at CS that my wife has instructions to contact. They would be in charge of distributing, in my memory, as they saw fit.

I'd cash out my investments, 401k, etc., call you, Bruce, and maybe a few others if needed, and say "Hey, I have $xxxxx to spend, and I need about 2160 hours worth of cigars to smoke. Can you spare a few crusty cadavers for a dying bastage?" :)

What I didn't smoke of my stash would go to some wonderful people I probably wouldn't have the pleasure to know were it not for the internet and this great hobby.

:tpd:

Pretty much the same for me..... except I'd include an Around-The-World HERF in there too ;)

I would go through everyone's vintage stash, then my doc would call me and explain the mix up. :ss

Think I might forget about what I had in my humi and perhaps take a little trip down to that island south of miami.

I would cash out everything I had to pay for plane tickets for all of you. We would have a weekend herf at my house, and at the end of the weekend, you all would leave with a bunch of smokes. And then my butt would be done itching for good. :)

What to smoke, what to smoke....

I'd probably call you and say something like...

"Dave, Its Jeremy, JPH, whats up?....Oh that's cool, you'll never guess what has happened to me........I only have 90 days to live because of X disease.......yeah I cant believe it either, I mean I'm only 26...... Yeah well, we all have to go sometime.... Listen buddy, I was wondering if you only had 90 days to live what you would smoke.....Please make a donation to the MAW CPIF (Make A Wish Can't Pay It foreward)....

And if you said no, I'd call Sam and beg....

:tu

I would take all my best cigars and buy some of the rarest cigars I could find..Have a fat herf and smoke up..Hopefully I wont kill myself too early from overdose....I already have instructed her to auction off a portion of my cigars to pay for a funeral and give her some $$$ to help her financially. A portion will be giving out to people who come to my funeral that smoke. The rest will be boxed up prior to my death then sent out to various people that I want to bomb after im dead for one last hurrah..

Back