Sol Cubano Maduro Torpedo

God

Lowland Gorilla
Was intrigued by these on the Cigar International site and decided to get a box for an upcoming golf tournament where I typically pass out cigars. Figured it would be a good way to try them. If I liked them... I would get more... if not then I would give them all away anyway.

Tried one tonight for the first time.

Well constructed. Smelled great. Nice oily wrapper with it's maduro wrapper. Cap clipped easily. Seemed to be filled just right... not too much and not too little. The cigar lit easily with one small match. Very even burn from the start.

Steady burn... not too fast but enough to keep one interested. Typical Nicaraguan bright white ash although the first third seemed a little looser than what I would have expected and like. Ash dropped off with less than 1" of burn. This seemed to get better as the cigar burned down but still not quite what I liked.

Flavor was decent. The maduro wrapper was just slightly sweet. The cigar put out a ton of smoke however and I think I actually only layed the cigar down once while reading a newspaper. As mentioned before the ash was slightly looser than I like but after the initial "ashing" it seemed to hold much better even while I performed gyrations in folding the newspaper.

I would rate the strength of the cigar at a medium... possibly even a little mild. Unlike many Nicaraguan cigars there was no peppery finish even though I was anticipating this.

While certainly not a Padron the cigar was a solid, well made smoke that delivered decent flavor with good construction... very easy to smoke.

For an everyday maduro this is not a bad stick.

Side note: The cigar band says "totalmente a mano" or totally by hand... interesting since many a cigar that is "hecho a mano" may only be partially handmade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! I have wondered about these. They're made by Oliva, so they can't be too bad. :w

:ms NCRM

Just had my second one of these last night in a stiff wind... I'm even more impressed now... it lit easily, burned evenly with a good creamy flavor and slight hint of pepper towards the end...

I had given most away yesterday at a golf tournament but managed to sneak about a half a dozen out before hand... sure glad I did... I'll have to get another box of these...

Back