Solo Cafe Wafe

jkorp

·~«{·B'lieve Hon·}»~·
Here is a review of the Solo Cafe Wafe. I'll start by saying this, I am not a fan flavored cigars. I tried and ACID Blondie once and about died. The reason I tried these was because of my search for short tasty smokes for going to work or at lunch. With the burn time around 20 min, this was a good candidate. Also, the reviews on Famous as well as the price swayed to take chance.

Apparently the Solo Cafe line changed it's blend recently and has pissed some people off. The Wafe is the last stick in the line that has the old blending, and people's reviews said they loved the old blend.

These were on sale last week at famous for $49.95 w/ free shipping. Normally I think these run for $69.95. They come in 40 to a bundle. From what I can tell, these are bundles of the JAVA brand (according to the new Famous catalog). The JAVA wafes come in a box of 40 and run $161.95 @ famous, DAMN thats freakin' crazy. For the sale price I would say this was a good buy. At a little over a buck a stick, it makes a nice affordable going to work car-gar.

I'm sure all know this Wafe shape means its a wafer, thin and flat. They are kind of delicate, it seems like the whole time I'm smoking it, I will snap it in half.

I was concerned about cutting this thing and destroying the cap. The process I used worked well: using a double bladed cutter, extend one side almost all the way out so there is just about a 1/16 or so of the blade exposed. Now, rest the cap on this blade and bring other blade down to rest on the cap. Give it a quick pop and off with his head.

The wrapper is light and milk chocolatey looking. It looks fragile, but after 4 of these I have had no problem with the wrapper at all.

This thing is sweet to taste, I really enjoyed the pre-light flavor. The draw was also great which suprised me. I thought it would be tough, but breathed like a dream.

I have heard of people having trouble with the light and burn of the wafe shape, and I'll say it takes some getting use to. The first inch of the stick burns like it's trying to find itself. After you get past this point, it evens out and burns pretty even (as long as you don't heat her up). If you smoke this think like a regular cigar it will tunnel on you and runaway. So the typical puff puff draw really is to much for this stick to handle. I have found that a small gentle puff and then a gentle draw will get you tons of smoke and flavor.

An interesting thing I wanted to point out was, as it burns the foot start to expand due to the heat and gas being generated. So as you watch it, you'll see the lit end balloon, or convex out

The flavor is pretty consistent to about the last inch. There is some kind of Nescafe toasting marshmellow taste, that is very enjoyable with a cup of joe. Behind all these flavors is the tobacco which is nice. At the last inch the flavor dies off and I'll probably be pulling in to work anyway to out it goes.

The picture shows a good point at which to put this baby down. The flavor is gone and so is my interest.

I'll say I enjoy this stick for what it is, a car ride in the morning with a cup of coffee. I like this combo and the flavors it gives me, but I won't be sparking one after a steak dinner or when I am enjoying a brew or a scotch.

Again, my overall assessment; this is a good stick for that morning drive and coffee. For the sale price it was right on. I would stock up if they go on sale again, and especially before they change the blend on the wafe to the blend that everyone really seems to hate. I like this shape, it is a novelty, and once you learn how this thing burns it a a pleasure to smoke.

The facts:

Wrapper: nice looking, smooth chocolate milk color.
Hand Feel: the wafe has a different feel that anything else. once you get use to it's odd shape and delicateness, it feels good
Band: no band, bundled JAVAs
Construction: pretty firm, seemed solid
Draw: post cut and prelight, the draw was really easy. Post light and all the through the burn the draw was the same.
Smoke: lots of it.
Burn: shaky until after the first 1", then it find it's pace and burns even as long as you don't heat her up.
Ash: gray, doesn't really hold past .5-.75"

Hope you all enjoy the review.

Great review. I saw these on Famous also, but I didn't pick any up. I will definitely try them now. Thanks.:tu

Back