"Sorry, no cigars allowed"

DennisP

Lowland Gorilla
I was in Winston-Salem for business this week. Met up with RJT one night and had a great time. The next night I'm going to dinner and grab a cigar, not knowing the smoking rules of this place, but just in case. I walk in and get a seat at the bar and see many smokers. I set my cutter and lighter on the bar and proceeded to grab a beer and dinner. After dinner, with one bartender standing directly in front of my taking a phone order I clip my cigar and light it up. A few minutes later another bartender asks the one who was right in front of me who was smoking a cigar and then tells me no cigar smoking is allowed.

It was a pleasant night and they had outdoor seating, so I went out there and smoked it with my beer. When I went in and paid he asked if I could smoke cigars in Florida. I said you can't smoke everywhere, but all the smoking places I've been to allow it. He made a comment about how they get complaints from others.

I'm fine with the policy, I'm glad they set it and not the government. But, I don't really understand the idea that cigar smoke is worse than cigarettes, I can just think the volume is more. I also wish they would make a point to let people know rather than waiting until it is lit, especially with one bartender seeing me light it. They said the menu said it, but I'm not usually looking for smoking rules on a menu.

End of rant

I was in Winston-Salem for business this week. Met up with RJT one night and had a great time. The next night I'm going to dinner and grab a cigar, not knowing the smoking rules of this place, but just in case. I walk in and get a seat at the bar and see many smokers. I set my cutter and lighter on the bar and proceeded to grab a beer and dinner. After dinner, with one bartender standing directly in front of my taking a phone order I clip my cigar and light it up. A few minutes later another bartender asks the one who was right in front of me who was smoking a cigar and then tells me no cigar smoking is allowed.

It was a pleasant night and they had outdoor seating, so I went out there and smoked it with my beer. When I went in and paid he asked if I could smoke cigars in Florida. I said you can't smoke everywhere, but all the smoking places I've been to allow it. He made a comment about how they get complaints from others.

I'm fine with the policy, I'm glad they set it and not the government. But, I don't really understand the idea that cigar smoke is worse than cigarettes, I can just think the volume is more. I also wish they would make a point to let people know rather than waiting until it is lit, especially with one bartender seeing me light it. They said the menu said it, but I'm not usually looking for smoking rules on a menu.

End of rant

I think I know the place you are talking about and they have some bar tenders who are a bit much. They know nothing about a fine premium cigar and they shoot off their mouth before they engage their brain! [/EO Rant2]

End of rant

From what I can tell, the stigmatic view in the public eye is that cigars are STINKY, and men and women do not like that pungent, old man smoke in their face. That's just the way people think. Many "smoking" establishments only allow cigars after a certain time of night...I suppose to people won't loose their breakfast or lunch to those foul nasty stinky yucky pungent offensive cigars.:mad:

To be honest, in the past, I've been one of those people that are offended by cigar smoke (although cigarette smoke to me is just as bad). So, now I smoke cigars... am I a hypocrite? I tend to think that there are considerate smokers and non-considerate smokers.

If a place is known for being a cigar hangout, and many people are smoking cigars, cool, but honestly, many cigars are stinky to other people. I'm delighted when I light a great stick and my GF says... oh, that smells good. That's a keeper. hehe *note to self - buy a box of those*

Many establishments don't have air systems to clean cigar smoke from the air. Strange, I hardly ever have seen people smoke cigars in public where I live.

I'm rambling, but I think you were the victim of a bartender that has taken a rash of abuse from non-smokers complaining about cigar smoke. :-(

Cigar smoke never really bothered me. Cigarette smoke does though, it makes my nose burn and causes my eyes to water.

I can understand that some people don't like the smell of cigar smoke, but I think the real reason cigar smokers get the boot and cigarette smokers don't is simply the numbers- they outnumber us by a lot, so they're more likely to be tolerated.

Although smoking has been "outlawed" for a while now where I live, when it was "legal" many establishments had a rule of "no pipe or cigar smoking" but they did allow cigarettes. It wasn't an uncommon rule IIRC.

IMO, the best policy when lighting up a stogie someplace you've never been before is just to ask if it's OK. Many people believe that cigar and pipe smoking is more offensive than cigarette smoke. I don't agree with this, but I would say it's a common belief.

My wife actually likes the smell of cigar smoke. She says it reminds her of her grandfather who smoked pipes. Though she doesn't like the smell of cigarette smoke. I was a cigarette smoker when we met but quit those and started cigars and we are both happier now. She says cigar smoke doesn't permeate my clothes like cigarettes do.:ss

We are a dying breed for sure, and yes, I'm sure neither of the bartenders had any appreciation for the quality of what you were smoking. Unless you are around other smokers who truly "get it" when it comes to cigars and smoke, it seems there will always be that "pungent, old-man smoke" stigma attached to 'gars. Hey, at least it was nice enough to light up outside and enjoy it. Even that would be a feat in WA!!!

I have to admit that cigarette smoke doesn't bother me, in a public place, yet cigar smoke can.

I know that sounds strange as I myself smoke cigars but that's the God's honest truth as I see it.

This happened to me at a bowling alley recently. Honestly, who goes to a bowling alley and DOESNT expect it to reek of smoke and beer? I would say 90% of the people had cigarettes going, and the other 10% were too drunk to care.

The thing that bugged me most was that the douchebag security guy waited til it was lit and going. I would have been fine if he said something before, as I clipped it and admired it for a second. I left and sat in the locker room with a friend and enjoyed my wonderful diplomaticos #2 :)

I won't even begin with the ill wishes I had for that guy haha.

I've never minded cigar smoke. cigarette smoke has always been gross to me.

where were you at in winston? I live about 15 minutes from there (in between WS and greensboro)

The thing that bugged me most was that the douchebag security guy waited til it was lit and going. I would have been fine if he said something before, as I clipped it and admired it for a second.
That was really my biggest comoplaint, there is no way the bartender right in front of me did not see me take it out and clip it.

There is a hotel in Europe I stay at that has an executive lounge for VIP members. They allow smoking but have a sign asking cigar and pipe smokers to go to the bar downstairs. Having something out in the open would be a good start for these places to communicate this policy.

I always ask if cigar smoking is allowed before lighting up. Most of the cigars that I smoke produce a ton of smoke and I can understand why a nonsmoker might not appreciate having tons of cigar smoke bellowing over his dinner, drink, and person. It's the volume, not the quality of smoke that is an issue with smoking cigars in bars or restaurants. I try to be considerate of others in an effort to give people a favorable impression of cigar smokers.

I always ask if cigar smoking is allowed before lighting up.

Wise words.

People can complain all they want that "I wasn't told cigars weren't allowed" (even if cigarettes are) or "why didn't you say something before I lit it?" . All of us know that cigar smokers face an extra bias/prejudice beyond what cigarette smokers face. Be proactive. It's just smart to ask. If you don't, you're taking a chance. And you have no one to blame but yourself.

Usually when I see cigarette smokers, I assume I am able to smoke a cigar. I guess that is not the case anymore. IMHO Cigars are by far better than :gn cigarettes.

Jachin, I normally ask before lighting up as well. But I had a waiter get pissy with me just for asking. I later found out that it was actually allowed there!
He told me it "was frowned upon" rather rudely. So I said ok thats fine and ordered my food.

What I do now is just leave my cigar, cutter and lighter out in plain sight for the waiter to see. If he looks at it funny or says anything I ask if its cool. If they seem cool with it then hooray. If not then oh well. I just try as friendly as possible and they usually stay nice. I've only had a rude response once.

You would think so.
BUT, as cigar smokers, we should assume nothing.

Exactly. If you light up a cigar and are asked to put it out, that's 1) usually an expensive loss of a good cigar and 2) will probably piss you off and put you in a bad mood which is the exact opposite of what cigar smoking is supposed to do for you! The best thing is to do your research before you go out. Call the bar or restaurant up and ask if they allow cigars before even stepping foot in the door. Cigar smokers tend to have a bad reputation as jerks and bullies. It shouldn't be that way. Most cigar smokers are very friendly and considerate people but as they say, one bad apple ruins the barrel.

Back