Speed and RG

I have been trying my darndest to slow my rate of drawing from the cigar. At first it was to try to keep the cigar from overheating, then I read about smaller puffs and letting the smoke linger in the mouth. My understanding is to enable you to savor the flavors or allow your palate time to "think" about what is going on on there. I then thought to check how this would differ from smaller ring gauge cigars to larger ring sized ones. In my opinion, I noted more success or a broader flavor experience with the smaller one. What are other's thoughts on this? I am going to keep experimenting, but I was hoping for some consructive feedback. Thanks in advance.

I notice a more concentrated flavor from a 42 RG than a 50, but not enough flavor from a 30 RG. I think a 42RG is a perfect size that concentrates the smoke and also allows a good draw.

For the timing it REALLY helps to set the cigar down between puffs. Also, try to wait at least 1 minute between hits.

I notice a more concentrated flavor from a 42 RG than a 50, but not enough flavor from a 30 RG. I think a 42RG is a perfect size that concentrates the smoke and also allows a good draw.

For the timing it REALLY helps to set the cigar down between puffs. Also, try to wait at least 1 minute between hits.

That is exactly why I purchased a Stinky.

I have been trying my darndest to slow my rate of drawing from the cigar. At first it was to try to keep the cigar from overheating, then I read about smaller puffs and letting the smoke linger in the mouth. My understanding is to enable you to savor the flavors or allow your palate time to "think" about what is going on on there. I then thought to check how this would differ from smaller ring gauge cigars to larger ring sized ones. In my opinion, I noted more success or a broader flavor experience with the smaller one. What are other's thoughts on this? I am going to keep experimenting, but I was hoping for some consructive feedback. Thanks in advance.

:r Hmmmm, this looks like post-whore-chatter hidden in a Sunday school dress.

Am I close? :D

I find that it is very difficult for me to take small and slow puffs if i am forced to hold the cigar in my hand throughout the entire smoking experience. If i can set it down in the ashtray its much easier for me to cut back on puffing too much.

When it comes to "little" puffs, i prefer to take 2-3 of these little puffs rather than taking one really big puff. I find that it keeps the smoke cooler and helps the smoke flow around on my pallet making for a more enjoyable experience.

Because i take a couple little puffs it helps me key in on the flavors, making them more distinct and recognizable.

Good post Bigwaved!

It is sound advice to slow down between puffs as it prevents the cigar from overheating and allows the natural progression of flavors to come into focus. Also try "sipping" the smoke as you would a fine wine... I find this helps.

And YES! Allowing the smoke to linger in your mouth for longer gives you more of a chance to experience the flavors that the cigar can offer. It also helps to refine your palatte as well since you will have a broader range of experience to draw from. It also helps to slowly blow the smoke out through your nose. There is no better way to taste the flavor profile then to exhale the smoke through your nose, you are able to pick up things much better that way.

Also, with thinner RG cigars the flavor is usually more concentrated and most are able to taste the flavor in a more pronounced way. Also as a general rule thinner RG cigars are usually bolder in flavor at a younger age because there is less tobacco contained in the stick and it allows the different types of tobacco to marry at an earlier age. This is why thin RG cigars from the 70's and 80's are so good and potent, they've had more time to reach maturation than a DC or a Churchill.

XXX

I have read that there is a definite difference in smokes that are of a different size and RG, even though they are made from the same tobaccos.
Proximity to the heat of the ash is one reason, another is more obvious; less or more tobacco is used depending on size, and therefore the cigar will taste slightly different. However, in each case where you take lighter draws, you may be able to have less to concentrate on and your palatte may be better able to focus on sublety :confused:

I'm somewhat biased toward the smaller rings,I have quite a few big sticks just sitting there.More often then not I pick up a smaller vitola.I tend to smoke a full bodied smoke and I get all the flavor that I enjoy,but I really savor a cigar when I smoke one.Rarely will I find myself hotboxing a cigar....Dave,slow down and enjoy that smoke.I don't know if this helped:confused: but hey I tried...
Life is short Brother savor every day:)

+1, I smoked a 38RG cigar today and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I had to draw slowly and rhythmically to keep it in the good taste zone - although I really didnt have much of a choice as the smaller sticks are packed tighter, requiring a slightly more forceful pull to start with. Flavors were fabulous when in the zone. My stick of choice is a corona size (42rg, 5 - 5.5") for the same reasons as above.

The best thing I have read about smoking small guage sticks is to sip them, like drinking out of one of those small red cocktail straws you get in your Shirley Temple. :D

(Like what Dustin said)

Last edited:

I don't think it's RG as much as it is blend. I think the blend suits certain RG's more than say other ones,but I believe that the blend itself is the reason for a cigar tasting the way it does as opposed to RG.

ATL

The best thing I have read about smoking small guage sticks is to sip them, like drinking out of one of those small red cocktail straws you get in your Shirley Temple. :D

(Like what Dustin said)

By sipping are we talking about light puffs? I find that I enjoy a long, full draw and then holding the smoke in my mouth for the flavor. I haven't noticed that smaller ring gauges are more concentrated in flavor than others. I, too, think it's more about the blend.

By sipping are we talking about light puffs? I find that I enjoy a long, full draw and then holding the smoke in my mouth for the flavor. I haven't noticed that smaller ring gauges are more concentrated in flavor than others. I, too, think it's more about the blend.

I have been trying to take slow, half puffs.

It's not necessarily a "light puff", more of a light, shorter draw. Not sure of that makes sense or not. Part of the fun is smoking these things right. :D

Just don't start referencing Huffinpuff...

To get this back on topic...I like the shorter puffs or draws and then hold the smoke in my mouth. Then let it out slowly and smell the aroma. Is it just me, or is the smoke darker the longer you hold it in your mouth?

I haven't noticed any difference in RG and the flavor. Some smaller cigars can really pack a whallup.

Back