Stinky Ashtray/Lighter

ghostrider

SilverBack
Smoked a few sticks over the weekend out on the deck, using my Stinky Ashtray. I had the remnants of 5 sticks in there. This morning I go out to enjoy my coffee and a smoke. I look over at Stinky, and with the sun hitting the curved inside, it's focusing the light onto one of the cigars, and it's burning away!

Not only is this the most useful ashtray I've seen, turns out it's also a hands free lighter!

I doubt that the solar version would work in my neck of the woods most of the year. However with the moisture, the self composting one might do fine

I can't be certain, but if memory serves, the same thing happened to CG a while back, only the solar power ignited a bic.

ghostrider said:
Smoked a few sticks over the weekend out on the deck, using my Stinky Ashtray. I had the remnants of 5 sticks in there. This morning I go out to enjoy my coffee and a smoke. I look over at Stinky, and with the sun hitting the curved inside, it's focusing the light onto one of the cigars, and it's burning away!

Not only is this the most useful ashtray I've seen, turns out it's also a hands free lighter!

Mine does that all the time...it's pretty cool. I usually smoke in the backyard at night and some of the nubs left in the Stinky have burn holes in them. :D

BP22 said:
Mine does that all the time...it's pretty cool. I usually smoke in the backyard at night and some of the nubs left in the Stinky have burn holes in them. :D

That's what I noticed this morning. So....just had to grab a stick and light it up. Pretty neat. Actually took less time that using a torch!

having never seen a stinky in person but having seen photos of one its not surprising at all that it can do this. you can do the same thing with the bottom of a coke can using chocolate (this takes hours) toothpaste or silverpolish work better but you get the concave part on the bottom to a nice mirror finish and then tilt it towards the sun. then its like using a magnifying glass just adjust the distance from the can to the object till the light is a nice little pin point and then voila fire. pretty neat trick i learned from a buddy in scouts a few years back.

I have all sorts of "branded" cigar ashtrays, but my Stinky is easily my most favorite. I would like a good deal on the "Stinky Stank" but right now I have it sitting on top of a cooler.

Last edited:
Back