Stop Tunneling Already!!!

Cadillac

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Okay, here's the deal. Tried a cigar I liked (no loved) about a year ago in corona size. Liked it sooo much I bought a box of churchill size. Almost all the cigars would keep going out, but the taste of these babies I really liked, and swore I would never buy one again.

A year later, I broke down and ordered some samples of the Robusto size. Wow, perfect size for the flavour profile, but they keep tunneling! :c

Anyone know a cure for this? I really loved the taste of these, and would put up with them if I could solve the tunneling... Thanks.

I believe tunneling is caused by smoking to slow... contraindicative to what it may seem.

I've recently started dry-boxing my cigars for about a day or so before smoking them. Since starting this I've had few burn problems.

Where do you keep your rh and how long have you had them before trying one?

Sometimes the filler is dryer than the wrapper and will, therfore, burn at a much faster rate.

Improper RH levels are the most common cause of draw, burn and flavor problems.

Try storing your smokes at below 70% RH (65% is preferrable to a lot, including myself).

Also (as stated) dry boxing for a few days prior eleviates a lot of problems. I have been dry boxing prior to smoking for about 9 years out of 16 and it's the way to go (IMHO of course).

Hope this helps
~Mark

Whenever I've had tunneling problems, the cigar had been recently stored at a humidity that was too high. After storing at a lower humidity (about 65 %, or even at 60%) the problem was solved.

Dry boxing..... interesting. I only smoke a couple of cigars on the weekends. Therefore, do I just leave two cigars in an old box until I smoke them?

Sounds like disparity in humidity within the stick (wrapper and/or binder is more wet)

Even the most difficult sticks can be tamed with a month or two at 65-70% RH.

I'd say put 'em to sleep for a minimum of 3 weeks, then smoke one and see if the problem has been corrected. If the problems continue even after a couple months in a steady environement, I'd think construction is the issue....

Put 'em to sleep for awhile. Along with the normalization of RH, the taste and draw will improve as well.

dryboxing is great, especially when you know ahead of time you are going to be smoking, sometimes its tough to know when that may be, which is why 65% RH helps out with that a lot.....:2

Back