Strange Hygros

Sigarz

Gorilla
WARNING: LONG BORING QUESTION

ok I just bought a new digital hygro, the user calibrated one. And I thought I might salt test all the others at the same time just to recheck everything. So I performed 2 trials (thus far) the first time I used a rubbermade clear cookie container. placed a about a 1/6th cup of dampened salt and the three hygros (one is a analog that came with my Savoy humi, next is a diamond crown digital, then the user calibrated digital. I left it in there for 2 days and the reading did not make me happy, the analog was 70 the diamond crown was 68 and the user calib was around 71, so I give up on that trial, I calibrate my user calibrated so it is accurate, and then I do it again the second time was in a smaller containerwith all the hygros facing down. the analog was 75 the user calib was 79 and the diamond crown was 66. ok again not happy with the results. so I re calibrate and throw them all into my one humidor all attached to the top. I leave them in there for a few hours and the analog is 69ish the diamond crown is 66 and the user calibrated is 70, then I just checked again a few hours later and the user calibrated is 69 the analog is 68ish and the diamond crown is 67-68(jumped). so I am wondering if there is a proper way to do the salt test so I can tell which ones are accurate. it seems if I just leave them in the humi they all have the same Rh which is of course a good thing but why does it not work during the salt test? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice

Do you know for a fact that you're doing the salt test correctly? That you're mixing the right amounts, etc...? Are you keeping the tests out if any light so that the temperature stays constant?

You might want to buy some humidification pack testers. They're pretty cheap, and generate a guaranteed 75.5% humidity. I know that www.cigarmony.com has them -- I'm sure that www.heartfeltindustries.com has them as well.

There are three key things to doing a salt test:

1. Correct salt/DISTILLED water amounts
2. Constant temperature (i.e. no direct sunlight or even regular house lights)
3. Sealed environment.

Well I take some salt and I dampen it to the point where is it completely damp but not water (essentially like snow) then I place the salt (in a small shallow cup made of tin foil) in a rubermaid container (not too big, maybe large enough for 1 small porterhouse) then I seal it up and let is sit for 24hrs. out of direct sunlight but the temp fluctuates between 65-70 during the day.

Well I take some salt and I dampen it to the point where is it completely damp but not water

That's too much water. Just put several drops of water in the salt. Some of the salt needs to be dry and some needs to be wet. The wet and dry salt will equalize among itself to give you the 75% RH you're looking for.

I've never been very good at the salt tests -- mine always vary greatly from one to the next (by "greatly" I mean 4-5%). Probably be easier to get those humidification testers that set the humidity to 75.5%. One go and you should be good.

Every time I do a salt test with the salt completely dampened I usually get a humidity at 75 for a couple hygros but my diamond crown seems to always be about 6 percent less than the others after 24-36 hours. but yeah I may have to get one of those Boveda test packs to make sure everything is right.

Thanks for all the advice:D

Every time I do a salt test with the salt completely dampened I usually get a humidity at 75 for a couple hygros but my diamond crown seems to always be about 6 percent less than the others after 24-36 hours. but yeah I may have to get one of those Boveda test packs to make sure everything is right.

Thanks for all the advice:D

If you can wait I have a Boveda pack I can give you. I should be able to mail it to you on Monday with your sticks from the Newbie PIF. :)

-Manny

Last edited:
Do you know for a fact that you're doing the salt test correctly? That you're mixing the right amounts, etc...? Are you keeping the tests out if any light so that the temperature stays constant?

You might want to buy some humidification pack testers. They're pretty cheap, and generate a guaranteed 75.5% humidity. I know that www.cigarmony.com has them -- I'm sure that www.heartfeltindustries.com has them as well.

There are three key things to doing a salt test:

1. Correct salt/DISTILLED water amounts
2. Constant temperature (i.e. no direct sunlight or even regular house lights)
3. Sealed environment.

Just placed an Order for a few Humi Pack Testers / Figured it was a good idea to really test my Digi's
The Salt test always comes back with mixed results (better safe than sorry)

Back