Suggestions to age 9mos?

I haven't been around much the last couple months, money's tight, I was laid off a few weeks, so I haven't really been buying or keeping up with cigars trying to save some cash. Now we're entering the slowest sales season of the year, so my commission checks will be even lower. As SOP, the universe decides to kick me while i'm down...

Yesterday we found out that the baby we've been trying for, the last year almost, is gonna be here next April/May. :chk

Despite the new and exciting budgetary issues, we're both extremely happy, and I have a little incentive too. I decided long ago that when it happened i'm gonna buy two boxes, one to hand out in 9 months and one to age over 18+ years.

So, what i'm looking for really is suggestions. The boxes in question have a few stipulations, since i'm gonna hand them out to n00bs and family:

1) Gotta taste decent to new smokers
2) Not too overpowering that everyone gets sick
3) Ages well

I have a few Fuente 858's in the humi, and honestly they don't really appeal to me that much. Regardless of which I buy, I plan on picking up some "It's a XXX" labels, as appropriate, to put on them.

Thanks for the help guys!

I know Fuente makes It's a Boy/Girl cigars that are not too strong for newer/inexperienced smokers. I do not know how they would be after 18+ years though.

Well you wont get much age after only 9 months, especially since almost all NC's are aged before they are rolled.

9 months-Oliva G series-mild and good price
18 years-Look into a cc, there are quite a bit that can be had at the same price as an nc. However, if you cant go that route look for something like a the Tat J21 or a Padron Anniversary (natural or maduro, i typically like the mads). They are already fantastic cigars which could do something nice after 18 years.

Congrats

IMO there's no NC worth aging 18+ years. You want to get CC's for that.

Again, that's just my :2.

If I was putting away a box for 9mo and 18years, it would be a Cuban box. Although my selections aren't going to save you any money. Cohiba Siglo V, Monte #2. It would also be cool if you got a limitada, but I wouldn't be able to wait.

Oh for a Robusto, I've heard PSD4's age very well!

Yesterday we found out that the baby we've been trying for, the last year almost, is gonna be here next April/May. :chk

Congrats!!

(copied from Cigarencylopedia.com)

Birth Cigars:
Arturo Fuente Brevas
Ashton Crystal No. 1 Tubos
Bering Imperial Tubos
Davidoff Special R Tubos
Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Tubos

I would say the R&Js would go over well as it has lots of name recognition.

Congrats. Not sure what you could get NC-wise that would hold up for 18 years. Nine months is a good NC aging/resting timeframe so really just about anything you get will be at or close to the best it will get.

Its a boy/girl. Fuente and Romeo y julieta both have good for everyone sticks.

I'm not a big beleiver in aging for most sticks. But padrons with that much time on them will be great.

You better have a great place to store them. That long you will have to have a very consistant environment.

I have two suggestions (not my ideas so thanks to who I am stealing them from).

First: http://signaturestogies.com/<<< a cmpany that laser engraves cigars. They actually print on the cigar itself. i have seen it in person and it looks great. Here is a picture of one Richard sent me

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1816249&postcount=1

Second: As far as aging, wait till the baby is born and then start looking for Cubans or Pepins that have a box code of the same month/year as the baby birth date.

Oliva O's go down very well with n00bs. Mild yet ok in the taste department, and a good price. Go for the smaller RG for more taste.

CC's for the 18 years. Look at a few stronger ones. Brands like Partagas or Montecristo. Or think H.Upmann Sir Winston.
Very cool would ofcourse be to get the Limitadas... Monte is putting out a Sublimes... That'll be a killer!

9 months is a resting period, not true aging. Buy something you like and put it down. There is very little information on aging NC's more than a few(3-5) years, mostly these are just old leftover cigars and not truly intentionally aged. The main reason is that many NC's are made with aged tobacco and meant to be smoked fairly fresh. There are several NC's that may benefit from a short resting period, but whether any actually develop a better flavor profile is a matter if opinion.

18yrs would be a great aging period for a classic CC. Monte #2's, Cohiba Esplendido's, etc. :2

Congrats!

If it were me.

For the smoke in 9 months I'd buy a box of Padron Londres. They come in boxes of 26 and can be easily found online for under $60.

I'd buy a box of Cuban Monte #2 to set aside long term.

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions guys. Still looking around, but the Olivia line looks the best so far. Inexpensive, tasty, and the presentation is very nice, so a good all-arounder for the smokers and the non-smokers that will just toss them. As far as the series, i've tried the V lancero and LOVED it, but haven't tried the others yet. The Series V Belicoso looks yummy, but will the ligero and nicuraguan sun-grown wrapper be too much for non-smokers? The Series G Belicoso looks good too, i'll try one, and i'm having a Series O churchhill today.

Another brand I looked at today was the Cuesta Ray sun-growns. Inexpensive and I really like them, but again worried about making my family and friends puke.

Second: As far as aging, wait till the baby is born and then start looking for Cubans or Pepins that have a box code of the same month/year as the baby birth date.

That's a beautiful idea, and mucho likekly to help the wife accept the cost. :tu In that case i'd prolly look for a cab of (smaller) CCs. Hmm...

cant help much on the 18 years thing, but I'd suggest cubans from what I've heard...as for the 9 months, Padron Maduros. PAM 64's if they're in the price range, but the regular line is great too. From my experience they are great fresh and best after 6 mo's-a year.

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions guys. Still looking around, but the Olivia line looks the best so far. Inexpensive, tasty, and the presentation is very nice, so a good all-arounder for the smokers and the non-smokers that will just toss them. As far as the series, i've tried the V lancero and LOVED it, but haven't tried the others yet. The Series V Belicoso looks yummy, but will the ligero and nicuraguan sun-grown wrapper be too much for non-smokers? The Series G Belicoso looks good too, i'll try one, and i'm having a Series O churchhill today.

Another brand I looked at today was the Cuesta Ray sun-growns. Inexpensive and I really like them, but again worried about making my family and friends puke.

Oliva is the best bet IMHO. I give them (the O) to novice all the time, and they love it. Then after a while I give them a G, and when I think their ready (have some experience) they get a V. Thats just the friend I am ;) Because YES THE V SERIES WILL MAKE BEGINNERS PUKE!!!
Skip on the Cuesta Rays, their very on/off cigars. (with regards to people liking them).

Oh and don't give novices full on Churcill sizes. Go with either lenght or girth, but not both. Small RG's give more flavor and less power IMO, but are much more difficult to smoke.
Girth makes the cigar more fool proof, but can be come overwhelming if it's a big smoke.

I like the Belicoso idea, its a less usual shape (than the parejo) and looks cool :)

That's a beautiful idea, and mucho likekly to help the wife accept the cost. :tu In that case i'd prolly look for a cab of (smaller) CCs. Hmm...

Don't. You'll hate yourself for it in 18years. Because everytime you finish one, you wish it was bigger so you had more!
Go Corona or up. Sizes like Gran Corona, Dalia, Lonsdale, Corona Gorda, etc. come to mind.
Decent smokes, but not too large.

I had the oliva O churchhill yesterday and loved it, but it kicked my ass. First third seemed to have a bit of 'bite' to it, and when I got up after I got the dizzys. Almost as bad as a LFD. Did I just get a strong one? I'm worried they're too strong for new/occassional smokers. A smaller size wouldnt be as strong though?

Back