Surprise Cigars

Txdawg

Gorilla
So I was on the devil site and looking for a bargin and saw a cigar that sounded gross but the writeup wasn't bad so I thought I will go in with a low ball bid.....you know the rest. It was a 5 pack of churchills called Honduran Creams for $3 plus shipping.

Sounds gross but they are not flavored but rather a fairly mild cigar. I lit one up the other day on the golf course and was surprised that for $3 a 5 pack it wasn't half bad.

So what were some of your surprise cigars?

Txdawg said:
... Honduran Creams ...

So what were some of your surprise cigars?

I'm with you on this one, bro... I, too, gave in to the temptation of a 5er of Honduran Creams on the devil - good smokes. The only complaint I had was the construction - they seemed to unravel on me a bit. But very tasty smokes...
Another really surprising smoke I tried on Monday was an Optimo Brigadier. My dad brought one over for me to try - he said they were only $1.45 at the gas station in glass tubes. The smoke was pre-cut (V cut) and I was skeptical, but it was a gift - so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. The verdict? A DAMN good stick. Man, I was blown away. I believe the Optimos are made by Swisher and are machine-made. I may be mistaken, but I think that's what they are. But who cares... It was a really tasty smoke. This thing had really good flavor. If I had any room in the humi, I'd really consider getting these in quantity for an everyday smoke. I've got more surprise cigars - I'll chime in later. :D

Cantero Cigar done by Tabacalera Perdomo. Stopped into the B&M shop on it's grand re-opening and picked one up, was looking for a cigar I'd never heard of and found it in this one, surprised me a bit when I smoked it. :p

Syvman said:
I'm with you on this one, bro... I, too, gave in to the temptation of a 5er of Honduran Creams on the devil - good smokes. The only complaint I had was the construction - they seemed to unravel on me a bit. But very tasty smokes...
Another really surprising smoke I tried on Monday was an Optimo Brigadier. My dad brought one over for me to try - he said they were only $1.45 at the gas station in glass tubes. The smoke was pre-cut (V cut) and I was skeptical, but it was a gift - so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. The verdict? A DAMN good stick. Man, I was blown away. I believe the Optimos are made by Swisher and are machine-made. I may be mistaken, but I think that's what they are. But who cares... It was a really tasty smoke. This thing had really good flavor. If I had any room in the humi, I'd really consider getting these in quantity for an everyday smoke. I've got more surprise cigars - I'll chime in later. :D

Do we have our bargain shopper here.......And not hating on that a bit....I do it as well.

My best surprise was a "Genuine Pre-Embargo Counterfeit Cuban" from JR. Darn good cigar, and only about two bucks a stick.

I've got a few of those cheap bundles from Cbid.I have a bundle of Slow-Aged Maduro by Perdomo, Tierra Del Sol Churchill by Perdomo, and Morro Castle Robusto. They're not bad smokes especially the Slow-Aged and Morro Castle. The Tierra Del Sol is kind of unimpressive but not disgusting. I need to start a cigar journal so I can recall how they smoked. Decent Yard-Gars.

hmmm i need to start taking more chances! ill say the JR brand, im not sure what it was but it was box pressed, 3$ or under and pretty damn good dispite having the re-light the shite out of it

Syvman said:

I had an optimo too once and it wasn't all that bad. Also, I got 25 Thompson Don Lugos w/ my humidor. They are really not that bad. Kinda spicy, but have burned well and have a nice draw.

The La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'OR No. 2, which comes out roughly to about 2 to 3 dollars a stick is a really good treat. Whether you like maduro's or naturals.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm having a surprise cigar myself tonight. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of Gurhka. Some of their smokes are good (Doble Maduro comes to mind), but a lot are just "blah" (and in some cases, that's being very nice!:pu).

Well, several months ago, on a whim while scrolling through "All Lots" on c-bid, I saw the Gurhka Royal Brigade and decided to give one a try (BTW, the link is a current (until 11/12) auction for a single). I'm not usually a singles bidder on cbid, but I got it cheap enough that I thought it was worth trying.

Anyway, what a surprise. This stick is very good IMO. A slightly "sweeter" taste than I've been gravitating towards, but very enjoyable. The construction is spot on, plumes of smoke, perfect draw. And it's a Perfecto to boot (damn cool shape :ss). I may be high on the Eagles win today, but it reminds me of a VSG. :D

Anyway, since I resurrected the thread, any surprise cigars for you?

Perdomo Lot 826 Slow-Aged. Damn good for the money.

Couldn't agree more. I received one in a sampler from CI, and was very impressed. So much that I couldn't turn them down when they were the Joe Cigar deal last week. $30 for 20 toro-sized cigars is a hell of a deal, especially considering how good they are.

I have found some Don Kiki smokes to be great surprises... especially brown and El Castillo (no longer available). You can get a box for less than $50 on sale and they are great :dr

Perdomo Lot 826 Slow-Aged. Damn good for the money.

Couldn't agree more. I received one in a sampler from CI, and was very impressed. So much that I couldn't turn them down when they were the Joe Cigar deal last week. $30 for 20 toro-sized cigars is a hell of a deal, especially considering how good they are.

Natural or Maduro? I've been thinking of picking up some cheaper sticks, and am considering these.

Natural or Maduro? I've been thinking of picking up some cheaper sticks, and am considering these.

I've only had the natural, so I can't really comment on the maduro, but it does seem to get good reviews. I should be getting the slow-aged natural lot that I bought from Joe Cigar tomorrow, and I have to run to the post office sometime this week to send out my newbie sampler trade, so if you PM me your address I can send you a couple to try if you want. Also, I've been watching these on CBID, and 5-packs have been going for $5, so if you like them, they definitely fit the bill as cheaper sticks.

I mistakenly picked up a box of Partagas De Luxe some time back for around $90... was pleasantly surprised by how well it smoked and seemed to get better after a short rest.

I've only had the natural, so I can't really comment on the maduro, but it does seem to get good reviews. I should be getting the slow-aged natural lot that I bought from Joe Cigar tomorrow, and I have to run to the post office sometime this week to send out my newbie sampler trade, so if you PM me your address I can send you a couple to try if you want. Also, I've been watching these on CBID, and 5-packs have been going for $5, so if you like them, they definitely fit the bill as cheaper sticks.

Thanks for the offer bro! PM sent :tu

Back