Tabaco Baez

donp

Chestbeating Pack Leader
So I tried my first Tobaco Baez made by Don Pepin the other day. I got a fiver and let em rest for several days before trying one; curiosity got the best of me, after smoking it, I probably should have waited a little longer.
The pre light smell of the tobacco was excellent; sweet, and almost cakelike. Construction was solid, and typical of Pepin. I clipped it, and the draw was again, typical Pepin. The first draw was spicey and strong, and I was thinking it isnt much different than Pepin's usual sticks. But after the first inch it began to become very different. Lots of smoke and very sweet in the first third but, the second third it became lighter. The spiceiness was still there but, it began to taste a little harsh. It had some complexity but, not nearly as much as most of Pepin's other smokes. The final third became almost boring to me because it never seemed to take off in any direction. I figure it needs more time at rest, and perhaps it will get better. But, I don't think it will be one of Pepins starlike cigars. It was disappointing to me, and in a way I am glad of it. I mean, for so long it has seemed as if Pepin had a midas touch with his blends but, this one seems to have stopped way short of what it could have been.

Back