Taboo Costa Rico Maduro Robusto

zmancbr

Fuente Whore
I finally had one of these babies and am so glad I did...

I decided it was a nice evening to go have a smoke on the porch. The sun was starting to set so it had cooled off a bit from the high 80s today.

Let's start the review:
Cigar: Taboo Costa Rico Maduro Robusto (I think it was a robusto)
Lighter: Xikar Havana
Cuter: Xikar Xi2
Beverage Paired with: Cherry coke

The construction of this cigar was absolutley perfect. It had a very nice dark Maduro wrapper that was silky smooth and perfectly rolled. This particular cigar has been in my humidor since an order I got from Rob back in February 2008.

The pre-light draw on this after I cut it was great. It was a little bit chocolaty and a little bit spicy. I could taste a bit of cedar in this and it had a hint of sweetness. It also had a great draw on it which was not too loose and not too tight. Time for the light...

First third: As soon as I light there was quite a bit of creamy white smoke. The flavor was that of chocolate, a bit of a coffee note, and I thought I could taste a bit of leather. This flavor stayed all the way until the 1 inch mark. Then the cigar picked up a stronger cocoa flavor and the spice I tasted on the pre-light draw had developed into a cinnamon flavor.

Second third: Into the second third, the cigar lost most of the cocoa flavor and picked up a bit of sweetness. It also had a stronger spice which tasted like cinnamon still. It had a nice white ash that just didn't want to fall off.

The last third: The last third the cigar started to mellow out a bit. It kept the cinnamon flavor the rest of the way, but lost the cocoa flavor. I smoked this bad boy all the way down to the last inch and a half until it started to get a bit hot, so I had to let it go.

Overall smoke time was about an hour and a half. I never had to touch this cigar up or relight it, which truly amazed me. This cigar seemed to be around the medium category in both strength and complexity.

It sort of reminded me of a Perdomo Habano Maduro with the flavor which makes it a unique cigar. After I smoked it, I looked on the Taboo site and saw it had a Nicaraguan filler and Binder, which made sense to me as the Perdomo is also a Nicaraguan cigar.

Now the important part, the ratings:

Construction: 10, it was perfect in every way here.
Burn & Draw: 10 again, never had a single problem
Flavor: 9, definitely a great smoke to have this evening.
Value:9, a great cigar at a great price.
Overall: 9.5

I definitely have to get more of these. I absolutely love the Perdomo Habano Maduro and now have to make room for some of these. If you haven't tried one, please do. You won't regret it. :ss

Great review...........only problem is now I will have to send Rob more money. Try the TABOO EXOTIC BLEND "OB" MADURO-ORIGINAL BLEND. Excellent cigar.

I finally had one of these babies and am so glad I did...

I decided it was a nice evening to go have a smoke on the porch. The sun was starting to set so it had cooled off a bit from the high 80s today.

Let's start the review:
Cigar: Taboo Costa Rico Maduro Robusto (I think it was a robusto)
Lighter: Xikar Havana
Cuter: Xikar Xi2
Beverage Paired with: Cherry coke

The construction of this cigar was absolutley perfect. It had a very nice dark Maduro wrapper that was silky smooth and perfectly rolled. This particular cigar has been in my humidor since an order I got from Rob back in February 2008.

The pre-light draw on this after I cut it was great. It was a little bit chocolaty and a little bit spicy. I could taste a bit of cedar in this and it had a hint of sweetness. It also had a great draw on it which was not too loose and not too tight. Time for the light...

First third: As soon as I light there was quite a bit of creamy white smoke. The flavor was that of chocolate, a bit of a coffee note, and I thought I could taste a bit of leather. This flavor stayed all the way until the 1 inch mark. Then the cigar picked up a stronger cocoa flavor and the spice I tasted on the pre-light draw had developed into a cinnamon flavor.

Second third: Into the second third, the cigar lost most of the cocoa flavor and picked up a bit of sweetness. It also had a stronger spice which tasted like cinnamon still. It had a nice white ash that just didn't want to fall off.

The last third: The last third the cigar started to mellow out a bit. It kept the cinnamon flavor the rest of the way, but lost the cocoa flavor. I smoked this bad boy all the way down to the last inch and a half until it started to get a bit hot, so I had to let it go.

Overall smoke time was about an hour and a half. I never had to touch this cigar up or relight it, which truly amazed me. This cigar seemed to be around the medium category in both strength and complexity.

It sort of reminded me of a Perdomo Habano Maduro with the flavor which makes it a unique cigar. After I smoked it, I looked on the Taboo site and saw it had a Nicaraguan filler and Binder, which made sense to me as the Perdomo is also a Nicaraguan cigar.

Now the important part, the ratings:

Construction: 10, it was perfect in every way here.
Burn & Draw: 10 again, never had a single problem
Flavor: 9, definitely a great smoke to have this evening.
Value:9, a great cigar at a great price.
Overall: 9.5

I definitely have to get more of these. I absolutely love the Perdomo Habano Maduro and now have to make room for some of these. If you haven't tried one, please do. You won't regret it. :ss

This is a spot on review of this cigar. Cinnamon is a great way to descrbe it, and when I first tasted it I got an extremely perfect taste of pepper on my lips. Trust me, these smokes are AWESOME. I'm soo glad I got to try one. I'll probably be buying a box once i get my new Humi! Thanks for the review zmancbr

-Danny

This is a spot on review of this cigar. Cinnamon is a great way to descrbe it, and when I first tasted it I got an extremely perfect taste of pepper on my lips. Trust me, these smokes are AWESOME. I'm soo glad I got to try one. I'll probably be buying a box once i get my new Humi! Thanks for the review zmancbr

-Danny

Thanks danny. I am pretty sure the first hint of spice I got could be peppery in flavor... I attributed it to the cedar flavor which to me usually has a bit of spice. Ever since I received the new Cabinet humi, I have tasted cedar in pretty much every smoke... it is quite nice. :D

Thanks for all the kind words on this blend. The inventory on this blend is very low. You may need to call us. When inventory gets low on any cigar, we "zero" inventory on the website, but sometimes we still have a few sticks/bdls/boxes left. I am expecting a shipment on this blend around July 11th.
Thanks
Rob

Thanks for all the kind words on this blend. The inventory on this blend is very low. You may need to call us. When inventory gets low on any cigar, we "zero" inventory on the website, but sometimes we still have a few sticks/bdls/boxes left. I am expecting a shipment on this blend around July 11th.
Thanks
Rob

Yeah, once I get through these and I get the new Humidor, I'll be ordering a box. Just in time for my B-day!!:bl lol

Great review and nice pics.

I had one of the CRMs two days ago. I bought three each of the Costa Rica Maduro, Sumatra and African Cameroon (Oliva blends from what I remember) recently and have been making my way through them. The Cameroon I smoked right out of the box and it was awesome. The Sumatran was last night and it was another awesome stick.

Thanks for the great review and photo's Zach. I'm pretty much sold on the Taboo line coming out of Rob's place. Over time, I will be upstocking more Taboo in the cooler than other brands. I'm sure Rob will be coming out with some other blends in time as well...:ss

Thanks for the great review and photo's Zach. I'm pretty much sold on the Taboo line coming out of Rob's place. Over time, I will be upstocking more Taboo in the cooler than other brands. I'm sure Rob will be coming out with some other blends in time as well...:ss

Yeah his cigars are definitely top notch... I really need to step up and get some of the Lanceros and PC's... Those are two of my favorite vitolas... :D

Great review. Thank you.

Have you had any of the Gurkha's wrapped in Costa Rican maduro? If so, how would you compare them?

Thanks.

Great review. Thank you.

Have you had any of the Gurkha's wrapped in Costa Rican maduro? If so, how would you compare them?

Thanks.

Nope, not yet... I find it pretty hit and miss on Gurkhas...some I love and some I don't. I regularly stock the symphony, symphony maduro, gold label, fuerte, and black puro. I believe the Beast is the one with the costa rican wrapper for Gurkha correct?

Nope, not yet... I find it pretty hit and miss on Gurkhas...some I love and some I don't. I regularly stock the symphony, symphony maduro, gold label, fuerte, and black puro. I believe the Beast is the one with the costa rican wrapper for Gurkha correct?

The Beast and Titan both have Costa Rican maduro wappers, and CI states the Fuerte wears a vintage '96 Costa Rican wrapper too. I can't seem to find if the Black Puro is Costa Rican or not.

The Beast and Titan both have Costa Rican maduro wappers, and CI states the Fuerte wears a vintage '96 Costa Rican wrapper too. I can't seem to find if the Black Puro is Costa Rican or not.

Sweet... I haven't tried the Fuerte yet as I was letting them nap, but I am hoping I like them as well... I think I won a 10er or 5er from somewhere... :ss

The rest I haven't tried so I couldn't compare.

I've only had two of the Taboo CRMs, but never a Robusto. I may have to pick up a few.

Thanks for the review!

Back