Taboo Factory Value Blend #1

Poriggity

I love Pepin & Tatuaje
I didn't see a review of these posted yet, probably because you guys are smoking the twists instead :r

First off, I can't say enough about the speedy and great service of Rob and Connie at Taboo. See this thread for my latest experience:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140866

My reply is at the bottom.

Anyway, I bought these, because as many of you know, I am always on the search for a good value smoke. I couldn't resist at $11 for a bundle of 20, and it was even shipped for free.

The pre light smell was great. Smelled creamy, with some leathery notes. It was a bit spongy, mostly because it was right off the truck, I think. I clipped it with my palio, which was easy, and too a pre light draw. I got some nice woody notes, with some creaminess, and a hint of pepper.

As I lit up, the first thing I noticed was that the smoke was just BILLOWING out of this thing. The first few puffs were a nice mellow creamy flavor. Then after a few puffs, the wood flavors came in, and I got a big hit of pepper.

As I continued down the cigar, not much changed, still had that pleasant creamy flavor, and the wood notes became more and more apparent. The ash was a bit flaky but thats attributed to this being a short filler cigar.

As I got down to the nub, the pepper really started to stand out and present itself, and all the other flavors slowly dissipated. I smoked this thing as far down to the nub as I could, enjoying every puff. Every puff had some nice billowing smoke, and exhaling through my sinuses was very pleasant.

All in all, this would make a good morning smoke, and I plan to buy a few more bundles in the near future. My only disclaimer is, I know a lot of you guys can't stand the short filler. If you don't like short filler, this is not the smoke for you. It does start to come apart toward the end, but that might also have been attributed to it being right off the truck and spongy. All in all, between the phenomenal customer service, and the taste of these cigars, you can bet that I will be buying more, as well as quite a few taboo twists, if Rob can keep em in stock! :)
Scott

Thanks for the review. I am very close to pulling the trigger on these. I have yet to dislike anything from Taboo and if they taste anything close to their premiums, I think it would be an awesome yard-gar. Also, a buddy of mine asked me if I saw the new Thompson's catalog and I almost threw up in my mouth. He was looking to get some sticks for the golf course this season and was wondering if I was up for a split. Unfortunately, he has not been able to enjoy the humor of me and my fat ass sliding down the slope at 100mph for the last 6 months. I told him that I could hook him up with something cheap but pretty tasty and I mentioned these.

Thanks for a very informative review and will have to take a look at Taboo. I usually smoke a couple of cigars a day, so like yourself I believe there are plenty of good cigars that can be had for a dollar or even less. It's just a matter of slogging through bundles and bundles of rockets in order to find one before they either go up in price or for some inexplicable reason get discontinued, and it's where reviews like yours can come in handy.

I buy enough (too many) 5-10 dollar premiums when I can catch them on sale or get lucky on the slope, but personally I'm not going to spend 5 or 6 bucks/day for cigars even if I did buy them at half price. They're great for special ocassions and humi decor, but as long as I'm smoking handmakes, I'm always on the lookout for sticks like the ones you reviewed today. Keep up the good work.:tu:ss

F. Prefect

I did a review of these here Review Taboo Factory Value Blend #1 6" X 48 . But based on your review, I need to revisit them. I didn't notice any pepper, but "different strokes" right?

I need to pick up another bundle of these...

I didn't see that review.. Granted, I've only had one of these so far, so maybe it was just the fresh off the truck thing, but all in all, it was still a great smoke for the $, IMHO.
Scott

I smoked my first one of these the other night as I was driving to a well site for work.

I've smoked very few cigars that weren't maduro in the last 18 years so this cigar was "different" for me. But, I thought it was a pretty darned good smoke for the dollars (and being a "natural".)

I didn't time how long it lasted. Maybe an hour. I thought the burn was great and the ash wasn't flakey as I might have expected from a short filler cigar. In fact, the burn was a lot better than most of the maduros I smoke. I really didn't get into trying to think about what flavors the cigar produced as I was driving a really crappy road at night and looking out for the cattle, sheep, deer and antelope that are everywhere in this country (open range country). I'm looking forward to smoking more in a more "relaxed" mode.

I can't think of any cigars in this price range that have pleased me more and will keep some around for a nice "change of pace." And, they help drop my average price so I can order more of the higher priced Taboo's and not wreck my average:)

WyoBob

Back