Taboo Twist Torpedo Review

MithShrike

SilverBack
This was kindly gifted to me by kgoings at the last herf we both attended. I smoked this while it was drizzling a little. I keep my humidor at 65% and it was in there for about a week.

It lit pretty well and the taste was pleasant at first. The sweet maduro and woodiness complemented each other well. The Connecticut wrapper started to flake about 1/3 down and continued to do so. About 1/2 through the woodiness turned into an overly bitter nut flavor that I was not fond of. I think this would have been a decent maduro cigar if they had left the Connecticut out.

Overall I give it a 6.5/10.

wow everyone is talking badly of the taboo twists lately....I love them

I don't think two reviews constitute everyone. I happen to love the Twists Robustos, they are my go to smoke.

Perhaps the reviewers just don't enjoy them as it doesn't agree with their tastes. That is the great thing about cigars. One person might love a smoke another hates. No one is wrong.

I don't think two reviews constitute everyone. I happen to love the Twists Robustos, they are my go to smoke.

Perhaps the reviewers just don't enjoy them as it doesn't agree with their tastes. That is the great thing about cigars. One person might love a smoke another hates. No one is wrong.

:tpd: Agree totally. The best part about this hobby is that there is large variation to suit a variety of tastes and preferences.

Personally, I love twists.:tu

blugill and mtb996, you two are right on about different tastes. That adds to the simplicity of this hobby.

This was kindly gifted to me by kgoings at the last herf we both attended. I smoked this while it was drizzling a little. I keep my humidor at 65% and it was in there for about a week.

It lit pretty well and the taste was pleasant at first. The sweet maduro and woodiness complemented each other well. The Connecticut wrapper started to flake about 1/3 down and continued to do so. About 1/2 through the woodiness turned into an overly bitter nut flavor that I was not fond of. I think this would have been a decent maduro cigar if they had left the Connecticut out.

Overall I give it a 6.5/10.

The key word in this review that I picked up on is "bitter".
Over 70% of the folks that smoke this cigar, purchase more.
You definitely had a bum twist. This is rare but it does happen.
This is a known problem in the past and we have reduced it to less than 1% of the twists since July 2008. This was due to a problem with the conn. wrapper that we have since corrected. 99%+ of the current twist are perfect. The different sizes do smoke a little different because of blend ratios, but you should not have any bitterness.

Even if you have one that is "perfect", there is a 30% chance you will still not like it, but based on your description I think you will if you had not had a bad one.

PM me if you would like to try another one from the current inventory.

Thanks for the review
Rob

Agree 100%. Taste is very subjective and very personal. One cigar blend can never please everyone. I can still remember when a blind taste test was done years ago that I participated in. 50 people were each sent 5 cigars with bands removed and banded with just "A", "B", "C", etc). Folks were asked to rate the cigars on visual appeal, aroma, taste, and finish. The funny thing is over 50% of the folks I remember (including myself) did not like the last cigar ("E"). It was full bodied bordering on harsh, one dimentional, and bitter to the palate from midway until the end. I pitched mine after the first inch.

Turns out that "E" was a super premium that was recently released. It was an Opus X Perfection #5. If memory serves me right, the one folks liked the best overall was a $4.00 cigar made by Bahia.

Its true that one mans "go to" cigar is anothers mans dog rocket. Its as true 20 years ago as it is today.

Not meant to be a slam on Taboo or their products in any way, but I can probably be safe to say the line wont suit my palate. Over the years I have come to know what I like & since I dont smoke as often as I used to, I reach for something I will almost be guaranteed to enjoy.

So the bottom line is smoke what you enjoy & enjoy what you smoke, whatever that may be.

Never had a Twist but I plan to get some just because of Rob! That's backing your product right there... :tu

Smoked a twist and then bought a box, that I'm about 1/2 through. Everybody's taste is different and not ever hand made cigar comes out perfect. That is all part of the hobby.

I had one gifted to me in a MAW/PIF, one dang long torp twist. No issues with the taste, but the burn was horrible. The double wrapper made correcting the burn almost impossible. The cigar had a weak spot almost the entire length along one side, and only by pinching that weak channel down along the length did the burn start to moderate, but the weak side was almost always an inch more burn than the firm side.

I don't make one cigar judgements any longer, learned my lesson there a long time ago. However, I think the next twist I try may be a shorter, smaller diameter stick. Smaller size should be tighter on filler,and hopefully give a better burn to use to really evaluate the taste without the agrevation of burn issues.

Don't give up on the brand because of one bad stick. Try another after a couple of months.

I had one gifted to me in a MAW/PIF, one dang long torp twist. No issues with the taste, but the burn was horrible. The double wrapper made correcting the burn almost impossible. The cigar had a weak spot almost the entire length along one side, and only by pinching that weak channel down along the length did the burn start to moderate, but the weak side was almost always an inch more burn than the firm side.

I don't make one cigar judgements any longer, learned my lesson there a long time ago. However, I think the next twist I try may be a shorter, smaller diameter stick. Smaller size should be tighter on filler,and hopefully give a better burn to use to really evaluate the taste without the agrevation of burn issues.

Don't give up on the brand because of one bad stick. Try another after a couple of months.

Don't be afraid of the Torp. You had a rare bad stick. With the thousands of Twist sticks we sell, there has to be a bad one here and there. I just finished the torp and I'm now smoking the Toro 6x58 with no issues.
I will pm you my cell #. Let me know when you place an order.
I stand behind every stick we sell, Taboo or not. Customers are like family to me and you are family. I will take care of you.
The new Twist sizes are expected any day now.

Thanks
Rob

Don't be afraid of the Torp. You had a rare bad stick. With the thousands of Twist sticks we sell, there has to be a bad one here and there. I just finished the torp and I'm now smoking the Toro 6x58 with no issues.
I stand behind every stick we sell, Taboo or not. Customers are like family to me and you are family. I will take care of you.

Thanks
Rob

If Rob were a woman (or just had long hair for that matter) I would marry him/her.

I had a Twist Torp. last night and really enjoyed it. I had dry-boxed it at 60% for a few days and had no bitterness and no burn issues as previously mentioned in this thread. Overall, a really good smoke. :tu

Turns out that "E" was a super premium that was recently released. It was an Opus X Perfection #5.

I coulda told you that and saved you the grief of having to smoke it. :r
The farthest I've made it through an Opus is halfway. I'd FAR rather have a Bahia. :tu

Thanks
Rob

Thanks for the concern, Rob.

Like I said, Flavor was't a problem, only a burn issue. Which is one of the reason's I prefer smaller RGs than the Twist I smoked (I seem to have more burn issues with larger RGs for some reason!). I'm really enjoying Lancero sizes lately; kinda keeping an eye on your HSC Lanceros to see when they come back in stock. :cb

Back