Taboo Twist

croatan

Parisian Pimp
I smoked one of these out at Rob's shop last Saturday and was impressed. To be honest, when he first handed me one of these cigars, I was already ready to dislike it. It's a Connecticut Shade and Maduro barber pole, in the vein of Fuente Between the Lines, Gurkha whateverit'scalled, and CAO America--all of which, in my opinion, are far more marketing than substance. Well, this cigar was good enough that I actually bought some. I had to take a couple home, try them again, and see if they were as good as I thought they were, if you know what I mean :)

Here's a shot of the cigar and beverage (Macallan 12 y/o because I knew this was going to be a mild-to-medium-bodied cigar and I didn't really want the drink to compete that much):

twist1.jpg

There's nothing special in the pre-light and the first draw isn't too exciting, either. The second puff, however, reminds me of Ramon Allones Gigantes I've had with 6-8 years of age on them--a sort of a toasted nut kind of flavor. Strange, but that's the best way I can describe it. That flavor stays pretty consistent for the first inch of the cigar, then it changes to a slightly sweet flavor that hits the front of my palate in a very pleasing way. This sensation quickly gives way to a creamy, buttery taste, which I was first going to describe as sort of like smoking a Cakebread Chardonnay, but then decided might better be described as smoking a Club Cracker (the ones I love that are all buttery and salty).

Anyway, the Club Cracker/Chardonnay flavor held up until about the middle of the cigar when that RAG flavor came back for about half an inch or so. It picked up a little pepper, and then it changed again to a slightly sweet, front of palate taste that was short-lived, to be followed by that sweet, creamy, buttery flavor again that hits both the front of the palate and the front of the sides (if that makes sense). A few times during this period, the flavor wasn't as pronounced on the draw, but lingered exceptionally well. This lasted until about the last third of the cigar when it started to pick up some more pepper flavors, especially pronounced through the nose.

The cigar then began to turn slightly harsh and I let it go out not too longer after this picture was taken:

twist2.jpg

In case you couldn't tell, I really struggled verbalizing the flavors I picked up in this cigar. They were there, and pleasant, and changed throughout the smoke, but are hard to describe. I'm not sure I've ever called a non-Cuban cigar "complex" before, but this one was. It was mild-to-medium the whole way, but changed flavors a number of times, and, until the last couple inches of the cigar, they were all very enjoyable.

I'm still impressed.

Last edited:
we have had this discussion in another club i am in about the effects the barber pole type cigar has on your palatte..maduro to natural to maduro to natural...etc...i personally don't care for them but it was a great review and great pics:tu

Impressive review. Great color and composition in the photos. You certainly honored that cigar. Thanks.

Thanks, man. I ordered a sampler from Taboo... wanted to give Rob a fair shake at CS. I appreciate the fact you took the time to go over and meet the guy and see what he was all about. I am really going to look forward to getting my smokes from Taboo! :ss

I was going to bump up your RG, but apparently I have been a little free with that over the last 24 hours... catch you later, though. :ss

Excellent review James, guess I'm gonna have givem a try. I'm like you the barber poles I've had haven't been much. Thanks brother.

James, Thank You for taking the time to review our Taboo Twist Blend!
Two guys just left the shop after smoking the Twist and loved it!
It is definitely a very unique cigar that I enjoy every week! Can't wait for the Taboo Special Forces to come in! People are beating the door down for them!
I will post a Coupon on CS for them when I get back from Costa Rica around the 4th of Sept.
Keep smokin'!:ss
Thanks Fellas
Rob

Here's my spin on this stick.

Taboo Twist Torpedo 6.5" x 56? $6.99 purchased 08/24/2007 from the Taboo shop. - Prelight aroma of the wrapper was very pleasing and from the foot was the same just stronger. Construction was attractive and consistent, no hard or soft spots. I clipped about a quarter of an inch from the torpedo head cleanly and easily and toasted the foot before lighting. The initial draws produced copious amounts of a medium bodied smoke with an ever so slight note of sweetness. The first inch burned evenly and produced a mixture of gray to charcoal colored ash that was fairly tight but a little flaky.

I had to guesstimate the ring gauge my trusty plastic ruler I keep by my ash tray measured right at seven eights of an inch.

*Thanks to the original poster of this thread for his descriptions. The nutty flavor was one of the ones I was having difficulty identifying.

I'm picking up a very enjoyable aroma that remains on the back of my fingers and lingers in the air. It's similar to the sweetness I first noticed in taste of the smoke, but far more prominent. Thinking this may be from the vanilla breakfast bar I just ate; I went in the house and quickly washed my hands to see if the scent returns. The ash is holding nicely to just over an inch and three quarters. I'm picking up the vanilla sweetness again, but even stronger, maybe due to the breakfast bar, but there is something else as well that I have yet to identify. The burn down one side is now about a quarter of an inch ahead, but it's constant so I have not had to correct it. Loads of creamy smoke, now reveals a more of a chocolaty or coffee flavor than the prior vanilla flavor. Very enjoyable, so much so that I rather wish I had picked up another one of these rather than the Padron 6000 maduro I purchased at the same time.

I often shy away from getting more than one to sample, in case I don't like them, sometimes it's a good thing sometimes not. Though the price is more than I generally prefer to pay, I will pick up more of these even if just occasionally.

It's getting harder and harder to leave this one in the ashtray and considering I'm hitting it with far more frequency than usual, it's staying cool and great tasting. The aroma that I noticed earlier on the back of my fingers has returned and it's presence in the air has continued as well. The second section of ash just dropped and is very close to exactly the same length as the first. I've got just over three inches left to enjoy. I just pushed a small portion of the last draw out through my nose and there was no burn and gag like I often get, instead it makes me want to do it more. At just over two and a half inches left it's still all good and I'm picking up other flavors with just a bit of tanginess in the aftertastes. I still can't really identify some of the tastes, a little cedar and hint of leather maybe?

It was a cool day around 77° and 85% humidity and this cigar held up very nicely while I drank my late morning coffee and wrote this review. This cigar was very enjoyable for me and I would highly recommend it to anybody, though I doubt I would hand them out to any other than my closest friends. I'd be very interested to see other reviews on this cigar and when I get around to purchasing more, will comment further as needed. I didn't record the time again, but I'd estimate this to last an hour and a half or more.

Thanks for an excellent review! Your descriptions were both articulate and superb, as were the images. :tu

For some reason, I think I'd have enjoyed the smoke even more had I the fortune to join you. The only thing I'd have changed would have been the beverage. I never acquired a taste for Scotch. But who knows, I may have tried it. You're surroundings, based on the pics are to be envied! I congratulate you sir.
:dr

I smoked mine on our patio while sitting in my plastic Adirondack chair. The nicest item on my plastic table is the CAO cubist ashtray that was a gift from my best friend.:)

Cheers!

For some reason, I think I'd have enjoyed the smoke even more had I the fortune to join you. The only thing I'd have changed would have been the beverage. I never acquired a taste for Scotch. But who knows, I may have tried it. You're surroundings, based on the pics are to be envied! I congratulate you sir.
:dr
Cheers!
Well come over some time. Just shoot me a pm. :)

Gentlemen,

So glad to be back here at CS after an extended stay in Costa Rica!
The reviews of Taboo are very much appreciated and I sincerely thank you guys for taking your valuable time to post your reviews on my cigar.
I really enjoy the Taboo Twist myself and just want to eat the thing sometimes!
The Taboo Value Blend are back on sale! http://www.taboocigars.com
Taboo Special Forces are expected any day. We will be shipping the samplers and back orders soon.
We will have a box/bundle Sale on every Taboo Cigar for at least two weeks after receiving this next shipment.
Thanks to all that support me and Taboo Cigars:tu
May everyone have a blessed day
Rob:ss

I'm smoking a Taboo Twist Robusto and wondered if any of you who purchased some like them?

I really like this cigar.

Back