Taboo Twists (no pics yet)

Silound

Swamp Gorilla
So I finally got a few in my hands, and with nothing better to do this afternoon, I sat out and smoked one.

To describe the look of this cigar, think of a big plastic candy cane with neatly defined lines. The wrapping is tight and exact, and the scent they give off is some sweet floral scent that I can't pin down. Oh, and they're big. BIG.

So on to cutting...yeah, that's not gonna "cut" it if I may so pun. I had to punch, because it was obvious as neatly rolled as this Twist was, there was no way I could bring myself to cut into it. I had to punch for the clean neat look. So out hefts my punch, and now there's a nice neat little hole. Oh wow, did I mention the cap was thick? A solid 2-3 layers of wrapping leaf and an additional cover cap. Yeah, there's some body there to cut through. Eyeballing the inside, and the foot, these are superbly rolled...there's a nice even distribution of the bunching, and while it looks lke it would be too tight to draw, it's amazingly easy.

On to lighting, I couldn't bear the thought of using a torch to light this...something made me want to go old school. So out comes a box of long-stick matches, and away I go to light. Oh but what a light it is too...I almost choked on the volume of smoke that I simply wasn't prepared to get. I do mean volume....I looked like the outbound 3:10 KC freight train chuffing away. But, despite being caught unawares, I will say that the smoke was VERY pleasing to swirl and play with. Heck, I was doing tricks and rings right off the start for fun.

Anyway, on to the taste. Imagine for a moment eating something extremely sweet like a piece of good chocolate. This is what my first impression was. Not sweet on the lips, but sweet on the tongue as in coco sweet. No spice, no cedary flavor, just a lingering leather taste after the sweet. I was headed for high heaven after two to three puffs.

But wait, it got better! After the first inch, the leathery taste all but vanished, and was replaced by a smooth creamy taste that I've only ever encountered in some of the more expensive and rare Davidoff blends before. I mean truly you would almost think that you were sipping a cup of hot coffee with real cream. The sweetness tapered back some, leaving what to me seemed like a more coco and less sweet flavor (not bitter, but not sweet....really dark chocolate anyone?) that mixed effortlessly with the creamy flavor creating a balance that exists only in a natural harmony.

For the second third of the cigar, the two flavors vanished and brought to the front a rich earthy flavor that was both sweet and tingly at the same time. It had a slight lingering spice after each exhale that tingled just right in a very pleasing way.

By the final third the flavor had once again returned to it's initial sweeter and creamy flavor, with a hint of a vanilla to the cream.

In the end, I took it down to the final inch before unwillingly letting it die in the bowl. The burn of this cigar was absolutely flawless the entire way. The ash tended to fall about every 2 inches, but held together when it hit the ground, and I was able to actually pick it up and hold it between my thumb and forefinger to inspect it.

Overall, I give this cigar top marks. There are so many things I think that could be paired so well to this cigar, not to mention the dozen or so different coffee roasts that I have that will go well with it.

Rob, as soon as I get a new job and a few checks in the bank, I'm going to put in an order for two boxes. Hope you still have some left by then!

Sounds like a good experience! I saw their website in another post yesterday, and they look quite interesting!

Which vitola are you describing? I have 3 of each (12 twists total) waiting for me in the humi right now...

smoked my first one saturday night (torpedo). Creamy, creamy, creamy. Not complex, but not boring. Very nice smoke.:tu

Smoking a toro right now, and it's very nice. THanks for the review, as a newbie, it's fun to smoke alone and see if I"m tasting the same thing you are.

EXCELLENT review... very thorough and made me feel like I was there. I love these cigars as well. Rob has a great thing going. :ss

A strange development as I continue enjoying my 1st twist: The darker werpper seems to be burning slower than the lighter wrapper. This has happened twice to the point that I have had to touch the cigar up by relighting the dark wrapper. This seems to be happening regardless of how I orient the cigar as I'm smoking it. Anyone else have this happen? If I'm doing something which might be causing this to happen, I'd also appreciate feedback.

A strange development as I continue enjoying my 1st twist: The darker werpper seems to be burning slower than the lighter wrapper. This has happened twice to the point that I have had to touch the cigar up by relighting the dark wrapper. This seems to be happening regardless of how I orient the cigar as I'm smoking it. Anyone else have this happen? If I'm doing something which might be causing this to happen, I'd also appreciate feedback.

Mine burned like a freaking razor even though I was smoking it 3x as fast as I should have and drooling like a nincompoop. :ss

How long did you wait from the time it arrived to the time your lit up?

Mine burned like a freaking razor even though I was smoking it 3x as fast as I should have and drooling like a nincompoop. :ss

How long did you wait from the time it arrived to the time your lit up?

It was my 1st one, right off the truck. It also felt squishy soft, so I'm laying the rest of em down for a while. Still really enjoyed the flavor.

Simular experience, fellow CS member spoke highly of them and dropped by for a sample. Great smoke but I also experienced same uneven burning between the light and dark wrapper. I believe it was because they were fresh. Seem to recall donor mentioning Rob had been waiting for the shipment and forward them to buyer's as soon as they arrived. It did not effect the overal burn of the smoke, only had to burn off slow spot once, and I had already decided there was no way I was going to let that puppy set. :ss It was a great smoke, immediately went put in an order for a batch and this time intend letting them rest in the humi for a few days.

I agree, I had my first right OTT and its a very mild cigar IMO (in a good way) I picked up alot of cream flavors (like most on here) with some slight orange/citrus flavors every now and again, but they were VERY muted. A little ammonia towards the midway point but I can only imagine how good they will be in a few weeks/months after chilling out in the humi. (I take mine out of their plastic to let them breathe better).

Enjoy! Stewart

ROB, HOW ABOUT A LANCERO????

It was my 1st one, right off the truck. It also felt squishy soft, so I'm laying the rest of em down for a while. Still really enjoyed the flavor.

I believe it was because they were fresh. ...Rob had been waiting for the shipment and forward them to buyer's as soon as they arrived...intend letting them rest in the humi for a few days.

I think that was the problem. Mine had been resting for 2 or 3 weeks.

I think that was the problem. Mine had been resting for 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes, please let them rest. They still have great flavor right off the truck, but in another 30 days or so, they are sooooo much better! I don't wait more than 5 minutes myself, but they do get better with a little time. I appreciate you guys trying the Taboo Twist. I smoke them everyday. (When I have them)
I tend to think the larger ring sizes have the most flavor. I personally prefer the Torps, but they are all good.
Thanks
Rob

Yes, please let them rest. They still have great flavor right off the truck, but in another 30 days or so, they are sooooo much better! I don't wait more than 5 minutes myself, but they do get better with a little time. I appreciate you guys trying the Taboo Twist. I smoke them everyday. (When I have them)
I tend to think the larger ring sizes have the most flavor. I personally prefer the Torps, but they are all good.
Thanks
Rob

30 days? They'll be lucky to survive the weekend . . .:D

No kidding. I just lit up my last one.

All I can say is these things go wonderfully with some good dark roast coffee (with Bailey's) and a brownie afterwards!

I have gotta get around to buying that RebelXT I've been looking at for ages.

Back