Tasting of cigars

NoValidTitle

Young Ape
Hi there!

This is my first post. I'm pretty new to cigar smoking. I am not a smoker otherwise. I have read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of reviews and talked to the guys at my local B&M. So far I've tried about 7-10 different stogies and I honestly have a hard hard time telling the difference in them. Now as a none smoker I would think the taste would be overbearing since I'm not used to smoke in my mouth. To name a few I've had...

Red Dot Dominican Cohiba
A Green banded Macanudo (don't remember specifics)
Rocky Patel Decade (I LOVED the draw on this)
Rocky Patel 1990
Rocky Patel 1992

When I told the guy at the B&M I was going to try the decade he said "are you sure you can handle that as a new smoker?" but yet I could hardly taste anything.

I can list a few more later once I get home and look at my collection of bands.

I can taste food and drinks but why not smoke so much!? :ss

*edit* Just so you guys know, I AM working my way through the stickies. :)

Go to the NEW GORILLA FORUM and make an introduction, then try reading some "Stickies":tu

I can taste food and drinks but why not smoke!? :ss

Your cigar smoking palate may not be as developed as some. Smoke more, I still can't distinguish the cracked pepper and nutmeg nuances in cigars. As an example, when you drink red wine, you may not notice the subtle differences between one glass and the next, but over time you will be able to distinguish the difference. :2

Go to the NEW GORILLA FORUM and make an introduction, then try reading some "Stickies":tu

Your cigar smoking palate may not be as developed as some. Smoke more, I still can't distinguish the cracked pepper and nutmeg nuances in cigars. As an example, when you drink red wine, you may not notice the subtle differences between one glass and the next, but over time you will be able to distinguish the difference. :2

That's the thing it's not so much trying to distinguish the difference as it is tasting in general. I find very very little taste in the ones I have tried, period. So it's quite confusing haha. Off to the newbie forum to introduce myself.

I still can't distinguish the cracked pepper and nutmeg nuances in cigars.

:tpd: I don't get how people can write about all those cinammony, cashewy, leathery, coffee and "cigar" tastes. "Cigar" taste indeed. I just think it's funny that when you read CA, one of the flavors listed is "cigar". Shocker.

Anway, I think chippewastud79 is right; we probably need to smoke more to figure out the nuances. I'm pretty new to this myself; started semi-regularly (on the weekends) smoking cigars earlier this year and definitely a non-smoker otherwise.

One of the tricks I've learned is to exhale the last bit of smoke out of your nose. This isn't inhaling; just take some of the smoke and blow it out your nose SLOOOOOWLY. I've been doing this more and more and have gotten more FLAVOR, I just can't tell WHAT flavor.

And you're not alone. I find A LOT of cigars just taste, well, like cigars. I do have sticks I have preferred AND STAY AWAY FROM MACANUDO...man, that's too mild. Tastes more like nothing than anything else. But yeah, I'm still exploring to see what cigars I like best.

Maybe the guy at the B&M was confused and thought the RP Decade was the Edge. I've heard the Edge is a pretty powerful cigar. I've only had the Edge Lite and it was nice. The Decade Robustos I've had (2 of them) were great smokes.

Oh, and if you're looking for FLAVOR that's easily distinguishable, you could try the infused (also called flavored) cigars like Acid's Blondie, Drew Estate/Natural's Jucy Lucy, both of which my wife really enjoys. And they pack a lot of flavor, not necessarily cigar flavor, but they're tasty.

Hi there!

This is my first post. I'm pretty new to cigar smoking. I am not a smoker otherwise. I have read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of reviews and talked to the guys at my local B&M. So far I've tried about 7-10 different stogies and I honestly have a hard hard time telling the difference in them. Now as a none smoker I would think the taste would be overbearing since I'm not used to smoke in my mouth. To name a few I've had.

I can taste food and drinks but why not smoke so much!?

I'm new to cigars as well and I could not distiguish anything at first either. After 6 months, I can detect about three or four distinct flavors (not counting "infused" cigars). From one noob to another: A mistake I made is that I avoided full-bodied smokes at first. Some of the most flavorful stogies are full-bodied. Don't limit yourself to mild-medium sticks like I did.

Last edited:
:tpd: I don't get how people can write about all those cinammony, cashewy, leathery, coffee and "cigar" tastes. "Cigar" taste indeed. I just think it's funny that when you read CA, one of the flavors listed is "cigar". Shocker.

Anway, I think chippewastud79 is right; we probably need to smoke more to figure out the nuances. I'm pretty new to this myself; started semi-regularly (on the weekends) smoking cigars earlier this year and definitely a non-smoker otherwise.

One of the tricks I've learned is to exhale the last bit of smoke out of your nose. This isn't inhaling; just take some of the smoke and blow it out your nose SLOOOOOWLY. I've been doing this more and more and have gotten more FLAVOR, I just can't tell WHAT flavor.

And you're not alone. I find A LOT of cigars just taste, well, like cigars. I do have sticks I have preferred AND STAY AWAY FROM MACANUDO...man, that's too mild. Tastes more like nothing than anything else. But yeah, I'm still exploring to see what cigars I like best.

Maybe the guy at the B&M was confused and thought the RP Decade was the Edge. I've heard the Edge is a pretty powerful cigar. I've only had the Edge Lite and it was nice. The Decade Robustos I've had (2 of them) were great smokes.

:tpd: I agree with this, you need to smoke slowly and exhale through the nose. Also hold the smoke in your mouth and roll it around as you would a wine or whisky. I enjoy figuring out the flavor profiles and nuances and admit that I use terms like chewy, leather, toasted, nutty,etc in my descriptions because that's why I taste. I love that about cigars. I do the same thing with Scotch Whisky and Wines, it's part of the fun for me. Like the Decade, to me, it has a coffee-like taste to it in the beginning, try it, keep the smoke in your mouth, blow it out, then exhale through the nose and think of what a cup of dark strong coffee would taste like mixed with a cigar. the RP 1990 has huge cocoa flavors developing in it. Keep a journal to help you distinguish these tastes and they will become more familiar to you. Cigars should be enjoyed by all the senses.

are you smoking too fast and does the draw feel hot? I have been smoking for 7 months and am just starting to notice subtle nuance in some cigars.still i have net been able to taste Madagascar vanilla yet but one day :D .

smoke a Don Pepin Garcia cigar and see what you can taste. also do you have allergies or are you on meds,or sick as those can affect your taste buds also.

Thanks for some of the great tips so far I will have to give snorking a try on my next stick. I will try the suggestions here and also check out the newbie cigar suggestion thread and go from there as far as trying new things. I've also been trying different drinks to see what I like as I don't drink alcohol. I've done some searching on that and I have tried chocolate milk, also a few various sodas.

The only thing with drinking or eating something with your cigar is that it definitely changes the 'taste' of the cigar. I mostly drink while having one but I also like to taste the cigar alone. I like to take a sip of my drink, then wait, and then take a drag of the cigar when the taste of the drink is mostly off my palate (some drinks can be quite overwhelming in flavor). Then sometimes, just for kicks, I'll combine the two flavors (the drink & the cigar) and see what that's like. I particularly like red wine with my cigars.

are you smoking too fast and does the draw feel hot? I have been smoking for 7 months and am just starting to notice subtle nuance in some cigars.still i have net been able to taste Madagascar vanilla yet but one day :D .

smoke a Don Pepin Garcia cigar and see what you can taste. also do you have allergies or are you on meds,or sick as those can affect your taste buds also.

I try not to draw very fast and I've never really had a hot feeling from the smoke so I would assume I'm not drawing too fast. I have also tried rolling the smoke around a bit to try that but without much success. I will just continue on and see where that leads me to as far as taste goes.

I will have to try a few sticks without any drink at all and see how that goes also.

As far as drinks, if you do not like alcohol then try a A&W Diet rootbeer. They are awesome with just about any cigar. :2

Try to release some smoke through the nose. Search "snork", "nose exhale", and "retrohale".

How do you do that? The only smoke I get in my nose is when I have the cigar resting in the bite while I'm doing something and I breathe it in through my nose, thus inhaling it and man does that suck!

Back