Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles Deconstructed

tzaddi

jardinero de la selva
Now for something a little different...

Near the tail end of July I stopped in at the local B & M and noticed they where carrying the Tatuaje line. I bought a couple of the Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles and after an evening of enjoyable smoking pleasure I visited the shop the next day and purchased a box with my wife's blessings.
DSC06007.jpg

Now if you would like to read a good/traditional review of this cigar check out 3inst3in's review here.
Size: 4 5/8 x 42
Nicaraguan wrapper, binder, and filler

Agreed, the draw and volume of smoke are excellent and the ash holds tight & light grey, (I like it that way). The flavor from beginning to end is "culinary", to the point of wanting to just eat it. Sweet pepper leather with rich mocha-coco. The size is convenient and great anytime. With Peter Johnson's regional pricing structure the price I pay for his smokes in California is even better than what I would pay online plus shipping.

Given my driving interest in cigar construction fueled by growing tobacco and my educational attempts at rolling my own it was only a matter of time before this happened.

DSC06157.jpg

As a youth I was always taking things apart to see "how they worked" but as is the case they didn't always work that well once I finished with them. I did learn that with things electrical you need to "unplug it first".

You can see this is a finely constructed cigar with quality ingredients. Johnson is known for his emulation of the Cuban tradition, right down to the "Triple Cap" design.
DSC06148.jpg

The "triple cap" starts with a delicate cut to the wrapper as it nears the head and continues by adding a small piece of tobacco cut into a "emryo-like" shape that the torcedor incorporates into the wrapper towards the head of the cigar, rolling it towards a tip. Once that is in place, a small cutout circle is applied to finish it off.

DSC06168.jpg

I did this little science experiment (the 3 dissection photos) while visiting a friend up in Oregon and I was not really pleased with the lighting, but I was not about to sacrifice another of these tasty vitolas to get that perfect shot.:ss Well at least not today:D

So if you have ever wondered whether the construction was good...

DSC05990.jpg

You bet:tu

—Richard

Wow! That is a great break down. Different kind of review, but a great one none the less

Thank you very much.

Wow. All in the name of science. I'm about to buy a box of these so thanks for the hardcore pron. :tu

Thanks for doing that..:tu...I like them so much, I could never intentially destroy one....even in the name of science!!! :r :ss

Very cool pictures! But you destroyed a great cigar. No smokes for you..One week!:ss

The tobacco was actually tossed back into the humidor that contains the tobacco for rolling cigars. So although not in it's original form it will go up in smoke. :ss

Ouch!! one week...can I just do some extra chores? :D

Wow! What a great post. Thanks for doing that for us, I appreciate you "taking one for the team".

I'd like to se the inside of a God of Fire. Could you do that next?:D

:tuRichard that is one kick a.. creative piece of work! I've looked at it 5 times already. Its kind of a 3D cigar jigsaw puzzle.I'll bet if you sent this to Pete he would give you another cigar.:D Probably an entire box! Great work. :ssJerry

:tuRichard that is one kick a.. creative piece of work! I've looked at it 5 times already. Its kind of a 3D cigar jigsaw puzzle.I'll bet if you sent this to Pete he would give you another cigar.:D Probably an entire box! Great work. :ssJerry

Thanks Jerry. I am not one to turn down a free cigar or a box for that matter.:D

Sounds like you enjoyed it as much as I did putting it together.:D

Thanks tzaddi, great stuff!

Fitting that I tried my first Tatuaje this evening. Picked up a couple brown label Havana Cazadores on the way home. Awesome smoke, really set me back, even after a big dinner. Draw was a bit tight(I attribute this from being straight off the shelf) but overall I was blown away by the strength, flavor, and construction of this cigar. The second will sit for awhile. I see many more of these in my future. I will add some Havana VI's to my shopping list.

Nice pics too, lighting be damned. What camera are you shooting with?

Thanks again,

JRM

Last edited:
Back