Tatuaje P-2 (robusto)

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
Tatuaje P-2 (robusto)

I probably should have tacked this on one of the other P-series reviews, but they were on other vitolas. So what the hey, here's another review and a new thread. I'll use Punch's format he used for his P1 review.

Date Tested: 1/20/07
Date Purchased: Mid November ‘06
Price: $3.23 - Online

Storage: Vicksburg – pretty stable 60-65% humidity

Conditions Tested: 45 Deg. F, overcast, intermittent rain

This cigar is a robusto measuring 5 x 50. This Nicaraguan puro is made in Tabacalera Cubana (Pepin's Nicaraguan factory). Tobacco World description: “A medium filler Medium Bodied cigar created by Pete Johnson. Blended in the style of the flavorful yet Medium Bodied Cuban Cigars. Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua with 60% Medium / 40% Long Filler.”

Draw was just slightly loose (the way I prefer it) with plenty of smoke. I found it to be Medium + cigar with a nice rich flavor and great aroma. I really liked the aroma – probably even more than the flavor. I know taste is predominantly olfactory, but I’ll say it again – I really liked the aroma. Maybe it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, but after smoking the Corona Gorda P1 with a 46 ring gauge I predicted the larger 50 gauges would help the burn. I think it was true however – burn was pretty good, much better than the P1. Found the construction to be outstanding for this mixed filler cigar. Cut (a little to deep) with a Havana cutter. Looking at the folds I couldn’t tell it was mixed filler. AS you can see ash held fairly well (about 1”).

Just after mid-way it got a little harsh. Strangely, and noticeably, that went away very quickly before I got the chance to purge it. That same harshness did come back toward the end. Burn was a little uneven , but quite acceptable given the cigars makeup.

Scoring was as follows (scoring on curve with consideration given for mixed filler):

Wrapper = 9.0
Cap = 9.0 (Surprisingly little bits left after cut, not expected on most mixed filler or
Fumas)
Fill = 9.5
Smoke = 10.0
Burn = 8.5
Ash = 9.0 (BTW it fell off just after second picture)
Harshness = 8.5 just a few notes
Flavor Quality = 9.0 (typical Nicaraguan profile – little bit of spicey is nicey)
Flavor Intensity = 8.5
Aroma = 10.0
Satisfaction = 9.0 (I enjoyed this cigar in spite of its shortcomings)

Total Points = 88.0 Grade B+ (recommend)

Found the construction and burn much better than the P1. Price point is very attractive. I would like to comment more on the flavor, but I am more reminded of the aroma more than anything – very nice.

Cheers,

BillyBarue

Last edited:
I sponsored a split on all four size (broke down into 4-pack samplers). Since we (I) bought 4 boxes Tobacco World gave us free shipping. I didn't do an in-depth search on price. They seemed to be one of the few carrying them at the time. I think they have a pretty good relationship with Pete Johnson and they assured me they would get me a box of each size - so I went with them. Very happy with them, great customer service, nice folks.

BillyBarue

Nice detailed review, I’ve wanted to try these for a while, local B&M’s don’t carry any, I will have to make an online order.

Back