Teamo World Selection Nicaragua Robusto

AggieChemDoc

Young Ape
Well, fellow Gorillas, this is my first cigar review, so be gentle. :ss

Tonight I decided to slum it with a Teamo that has been sitting in my humidor for a while. I bought this on a lark several weeks ago and decided that tonight was the night. My very first handmade cigar was a Teamo back in 1996, after my physical chemistry thermodynamics final. I went to the local smoke shop and asked the guy for the best cigar in the house that cost less than $5. He hooked me up with a Teamo, and I though it was great. Although my palate has refined since then, I still think back on that one cigar with a great deal of fondness.

This was to be only my second Teamo, and more than 12 years after the fact.

Teamo World Series Selection
Nicaragua Blend
Wrapper: Criollo
Binder: San Andreas
Filler: Nicaraguan

5 x 54

Appearance: a bit veiny, but it looks like a cigar. :D
Construction: loose, with a bit of a soft spot. Does not feel at all like a "premium" in the hand.
Price: $3 :D
Time in humidor: 6 weeks
Accompaniment: Hotel California Reposado Tequila (what else for a mexican 'gar?)

2571828028_d0ce834593_o.jpg

The first third of the cigar wasn't bad. Not a lot of really distinctive flavors, just sort of woodsy and earthy. Very satisfying volume of smoke. Coupled with the excellent weather and a fine tequila, I actually began to have high hopes.

2571828076_4f65e48ea7_o.jpg

Not long in I hit a bad soft spot and began to have some uneven burn issues. Nothing that really affected smokability, just aesthetics. I let it go to halfway to see if it would right itself, but it didn't, so I ashed it and touched it up.

The beagle remained mildly interested.

2571002373_ef24632aba_o.jpg

Past the halfway point the cigar failed to inspire. Although not BAD, it simply tasted of "tobacco". I'm still enjoying myself, although the cigar is a bit mediocre. But hey, for $3, still not bad.

2571828252_e4a3f7a0ce_o.jpg

By 2/3, the cigar was getting harsh, and rather than chase it with more of my good tequila, I switched to a New Glarus Hearty Hop IPA.

2571828308_71dce3b9aa_o.jpg

Overall, an uninspiring smoke, but for the price, I didn't expect much. I got a solid 50 minutes out of the cigar before I put it down with 1.5" left.

I would smoke another one if gifted, but I can think of better smokes for $3. :ss

Guess the beagle doesn't get a smoke huh?:D Thanks for the review and photo's ACD. I think the last time I burned a Te Amo was sometime back in the mid 90's, and haven't really gone back to re-visit the brand...:cb

i'm a huge IPA fan but have always thought smoking a good stick with my favorite IPA would be a bad idea. All the hops and bitterness, I thought, would really affect the aftertaste of my cigar. What's your opinion about this?

i'm a huge IPA fan but have always thought smoking a good stick with my favorite IPA would be a bad idea. All the hops and bitterness, I thought, would really affect the aftertaste of my cigar. What's your opinion about this?

I too am a big fan of IPA's Mullet, and this is one of my favorites:

"Stone Ruination IPA is a very highly hopped Double India Pale Ale. The bottle bares prodigious warnings of the high levels of bitterness (rated at over 100 IBUs) as well as its ruinous effect on the palate. Despite being touted as a supremely bitter beer, Stone Ruination IPA has a great depth of character for those who are attuned to hop flavors."

and found it paired nicely with a CC RyJ Churchill one evening...:tu

I think you HAVE to have a big, hoppy beer to pair with a cigar. Less flavorful beers just get overwhelmed by the cigar.

Great pictures. My experience with "Te Amo World Selection" was impressive. I don't care for the regular Te Amo cigars. But the world selection with different wrappers from Nicaragua and Honduras got my attention. I smoked quite a few a bought a couple of boxes to place in my humidor for future encounters. The Te Amo World Selection will become a special selection of cigars to keep around when you can't find them anymore.

Streiker

Back