Temperature Issues

houdini

aNYthing
Hello Everyone - 1st post- Relatively new smoker. Thanks for a great forum. Ive been lurking for a while and learned alot.

I bought my 1st humidor - a 50 count about 2 months ago. I seasoned it, did everything I was supposed to but was still having issues with the humidity. After some research, I discovered Boveda and life was good. It seems that NYC/ East coast winters are tough on maintaining proper Humidity levels!

Of course, I ran out of room in my 50 count, and have recently bought a 150 count humidor. Its currently getting seasoned and im going to try using beads on this one.

Heres my issue: We had an abnormally warm day this week and the temperature in my humidor shot up to about 78 degrees. I could only imagine whats going to happen in the summer. I live in an apartment hence no basement. My humidor is out of direct sunlight and Im definately not going to leave the air conditioning on 24/7.

I have a 6 bottle wine cooler that my 50 count humidor just about fits into. Its not Thermoelectric which is what you guys recommend on this forum, but it did the trick. It lowered the temperture in my humidor to 72 degrees and the humidity level was fine during the 3 hours I left it in there.

QUESTION: Can I make this work for me without drains and beads inside the fridge?....just by regulating the humidors environment which will sit inside of it?? I dont have room in my apartment for a bigger wine fridge and 24/7 AC is not an option in the summer. Ideally, Id like to be able to find a Thermoelectric countertop wine fridge that fits my 150 count humi. Any opinions?

Thanks again! H

If the humidor has a good enough seal, then humidifying the humidor and not the wine cooler should work fine. I think it's a good idea.

We have an apartment as well and have no control over whether we get heat or AC (only one at a time, we control temp, but when it hits 70 in February, we have no AC and it get's hot on the upper floors). The wine cooler was a must for me.

the only thing i'd worry about is condensation/drainage since this is more of an issue w/a compressor model wine fridge-i don't think it would be good to have a wooden box in a high rh (80%+) environment, might warp the humi
i don't have much room either (trailer) & you can imagine what the temps are like in a big metal box-i bought a seperate cooler that fits my humis & wrap blue ice packs in a towel, then put them all inside-it was 90+ inside here last summer & i was able to keep the temps in the coolers at 72* tops-some think it's a pain cause ya hafta change ice pks once a day, but i just switch 'em in the morning b4 work-3 coolers = 6 ice pks, 3 to use while the other 3 are refreezing-it's a cheap route & you'll have a cooler ready when you outgrow the new humi-hang out here long & it'll happen pretty fast!

Hello Everyone - 1st post- Relatively new smoker. Thanks for a great forum. Ive been lurking for a while and learned alot.

I bought my 1st humidor - a 50 count about 2 months ago. I seasoned it, did everything I was supposed to but was still having issues with the humidity. After some research, I discovered Boveda and life was good. It seems that NYC/ East coast winters are tough on maintaining proper Humidity levels!

Of course, I ran out of room in my 50 count, and have recently bought a 150 count humidor. Its currently getting seasoned and im going to try using beads on this one.

Heres my issue: We had an abnormally warm day this week and the temperature in my humidor shot up to about 78 degrees. I could only imagine whats going to happen in the summer. I live in an apartment hence no basement. My humidor is out of direct sunlight and Im definately not going to leave the air conditioning on 24/7.

I have a 6 bottle wine cooler that my 50 count humidor just about fits into. Its not Thermoelectric which is what you guys recommend on this forum, but it did the trick. It lowered the temperture in my humidor to 72 degrees and the humidity level was fine during the 3 hours I left it in there.

QUESTION: Can I make this work for me without drains and beads inside the fridge?....just by regulating the humidors environment which will sit inside of it?? I dont have room in my apartment for a bigger wine fridge and 24/7 AC is not an option in the summer. Ideally, Id like to be able to find a Thermoelectric countertop wine fridge that fits my 150 count humi. Any opinions?

Thanks again! H

Yes, and the environment of the humi is all that matters. You might want to change the battery in your hygro or get a new one. I doubt you keep your apartment at 78 degrees and even so the winecooler should keep the temp in the 50's-60's degree range.

Back