Testing the New Non Smoking law in Florida

edisonbird

SilverBack
Well, the new non smoking in public places, restaurants and bars law took effect officially on July 1. It seems that some great entrepreneurs are already testing the law. Two restaurants here in Southwest Florida have changed their names to Clubs instead of restaurant or bar, charge one dollar for a private membership in their new smoking club and hopefully the law is circumvented. The signs also say non smokers welcome also. One of the local American Legion Clubs says that it is an association with a private membership and no real employees so it allows smoking also. Thus far the state hasn't responded in any way to these great American thinkers. I guess time will tell, but I think there will be a lot of ways that businesses will try to get around the grey areas of the new law. One can only hope.:w

Sadly, it seems the non-smokers are winning here in the states slowly but surely. Sign of the times I guess. There are lots of legal loopholes as many of the businesses in California & other states have found.
What gets me are the people. Sadly, whether they know it or not, many are not only against smoking but have to also carry the "Holier than Thou" attitude along with what they believe in. Those are the ones I love to F with.
Ask me to put out a cigar or cigarette politely & no problem. Do it in a arrogant fashion & we may exchange a few words or more.

Europe in general is very pro-smoking. Thats where I saw the best example of how to treat the arrogant non-smoker.

I was in Zurich Switzerland on business and was staying at a rather nice hotel with a very nice resturant downstairs. After work, I went to the resturant to have some coffee & saw they sold cigars there :) .
I asked the manager/owner if they allowed cigar smoking. He of course replied "yes, no problem. Please smoke!".
I was the only person there and was enjoying an espresso & a nice Cohiba Siglo III.
Just then, two ladies walk in & of the entire place, they have to sit in the booth next to me. You can guess what happens next.

Overhearing their hushed comments, they are obviously are from the USA. After the waving of their hands in their face, and comments like "whew, whats that awful smell?", they call the manager over to complain.
They ask him to tell me to put out my cigar. He simply asks them if they would like to sit in the non-smoking section of the resturant.
They agree the non-smoking section would be anytime better than sitting in this stench.
The owner points to the non-smoking section and tells them its right over there. He's pointing outside to four snow covered concrete patio tables & metal chairs. Its about 11 degrees outside with the wind chill.

They left pissed off, I laughed, and the owner simply said "Stupid non-smokers".
:D

God forbid, but it may happen here in Chicago as well. Skokie just passed a non-smoking law, and our
aldermen are mulling over a similar law in our town. This is the city of Big Shoulders, of Mike Ditka, and Michael Jordan (both of whom enjoy their cigars). If Chicago goes, there's no hope for the rest of the country.

And Poker's right--a lot of the animus against smoking comes not from health worries, but from a feeling on the part of nonsmokers that their lifestyle is not only healthier than, but more MORAL than, that of smokers.

What's next--a ban on red meat, and the division of restaurants into "no meat" and "meat" sections?

the entire state of delaware went to it too a while ago. a few places tried to change to 'clubs' and charge a dollar entry fee. but somehow it did not work for the establishments in delaware...some permitting issues or something that i know little about.
too bad.

Back