The Beetle!

SUOrangeGuy

Alpha Silverback
So I just found my first cigar with a beetle whole. It was given to me and placed in my humi about 2 weeks ago. This morning this is what I found. I removed all other cigars from the humi and checked them for damage. They were all fine. I also wiped the inside of the humi clean with a damp towel (distilled water).

Question 1: How fast do these suckers move from one cigar to the next?

Q2: Are the cellophaned cigars safe?

Q3: Where are the actual beetles?

Q4: Barring freezing whats my best next move?

thanks

I had a cigar that looked like that right from the company I ordered it from. It was with four others that were fine. I just stuck the whole fivepack in the freezer for about three days and no problem. If your sure that cigar didn't already come that way I think I would freeze my cigars. I wouldn't take the chance on getting all my cigars wiped out. :2

Cello will not even slow the bastages down!They can move pretty fast. The only effective way to kill the sobs is to freeze them. The problem is that you are not sure where the beetle is now.

If there is only one I found him when I dissected the damaged cigar. I tried to take a pick but it was too small for my camera to focus on.

The only reason I cant freeze is that my freezer is full. I am going to smoke the neighbors of this cigar today and keep an eye on things.

So I just found my first cigar with a beetle whole. It was given to me and placed in my humi about 2 weeks ago. This morning this is what I found. I removed all other cigars from the humi and checked them for damage. They were all fine. I also wiped the inside of the humi clean with a damp towel (distilled water).

Question 1: How fast do these suckers move from one cigar to the next? Well two weeks is plenty of time

Q2: Are the cellophaned cigars safe? No

Q3: Where are the actual beetles? Could be in any of your sticks. Most likely the one with the hole

Q4: Barring freezing whats my best next move? Fire up the one the the hole and fry him and keep a close watch on your other smokes

thanks

see quote

Beetle holes are usually small and round.

That looks like a tear or a missing piece of the wrapper.

Is there and actual hole ?? I can't tell from the picture.

well since you didn't actually find the beetle in the humi or on the stick and the picture is too blurry to tell it may be just a divit in the stick, but to answer your questions:
1. pretty fast, they can go through a couple cigars in s couple of days if they go right through one to the other
2. cello will help but if it's right next to a cigar thats infested they can eat through the cello, but usually not
3. the beetle is probobly still in the cigar if you didn't see it crawling around in your humi
4. the only thing you can do besides freezing is to quarentine your possibly infected cigars and check on them often, really you should just smoke the sticks to kill the beetle and not have to worry about it laying eggs and having a real problem.

hope that helps

Beetle holes are usually small and round.

That looks like a tear or a missing piece of the wrapper.

Is there and actual hole ?? I can't tell from the picture.

I would say it does look a little weird looking in terms of beetle holes, but since he found the sucker I would say thats all the proof he needs, now quick freeze em all

Back