the DPG Cuban Classic (Black Label)

CigarMonkel

Alpha Silverback
Well as Jason (auburnfan1980) promised, this cigar was MUCH better then the Blue label imo.

It felt very firm between the finger tips and had some weird stuff i've never seen that seemed to follow the veins on this cigar... almost white but definitely not plume or mold. It didn't look like oil either and was puzzled bout this so i took a picture. The cap was very nicely done with a triple cap so no need to worry about cutting off too much, there were quite a few veins but didn't bother.
Picture065-640-1.jpg

Picture064-640-1.jpg

Guinness says "ok by me" so i cut the end and lit her up!
The prelight draw was near perfect and i was getting hints of earth and nutty flavors on the pallet.

Picture066-640-1.jpg

Your famous cigarmonkel light seemed to snag this one. Right from the get go my pallet and tongue had flavors dancing all over my mouth of earthyness complimented very nicely with some nuts (cashews perhaps?) It is a new mix for me and i was quite pleased with it. The smoke it produced was average and the draw was flawless. Like Jason said, make sure i have a full stomach. With that in mind i made sure to eat a sub before hand and this thing had so much flavor the sub played no part in effecting the taste of this cigar.

Picture067-640-1.jpg

The burn evened itself out quite quickly with still a very strong taste of earth and nuts. This is definitely a medium to full bodied smoke no doubt about it, if not even a straight up full bodied smoke. I haven't had one this strong in quite a while and was a nice change since i have been smoking more mild/medium bodied smokes lately.

Picture068-640.jpg

The ash held decent.. and as you can see theres a little... almost like a notch in the ash where its dark. This proved to be fatal later on as it would continue to get worse. The flavors were still there and everything was going perfect.

Picture069-640.jpg

After it had ashed, the problem i mentioned above only got worse. It started to burn a lot faster then the rest of the cigar. Even with touch ups from the lighter it did nothing. The flavors seemed to get a little more dull, but were still there so i did a quick purge. The flavors seemed to come back in full strength but the earthy tones had left, leaving the nut flavor to take complete control of my taste buds.

Picture070-640.jpg

After the 2nd ash i was starting to pick up hints of coffee... or maybe it was cause i was drinking coffee? No, it couldn't be the coffee hadn't had an effect on any of my other cigars i have had coffee with. This was a new taste to me and it went really well with the nut flavor of the cigar. The coffee wasn't quite as bold as the other flavors had been and i almost had to "search" for it on my pallet to really notice it.

Picture072-640.jpg

as you can see it almost looks like something was digging a tunnel in this cigar. There were no holes or beetle markings so it wasn't one of those... maybe just a empty space? By now it had turned into more of a coffee and carmel taste for the finish and held that the rest of the way through the cigar. The burn was getting a little hot on the tongue and lips so i slowed down a bit. But ran into a problem...
Picture073-640.jpg

now not only was one side of my cigar burning faster but the wrapper was starting to peal off. The carmel and coffee flavor was still there and enough to keep me in the game for the rest of this cigar. Overall it was a truely AMAZING cigar and my thoughts of DP have done a 180. This will be a cigar to keep in the humi and i can only imagine what some age will do to this cigar.

Burn: 5/10
Taste: 9/10
Appearance: 8/10
Construction: 7/10
smoke: 7/10

Glad to see you liked this one much better, Ryan! Don't get down on the burn....like I stated in my review, I was having a little problem with my wrapper at the start, but I simply attributed that to the fact that I was too impatient to let this rest in my humi for a while. I'm with you...I think a little rest and age on these will make them even better. I have two questions: 1.) Did you ever pick up the peppery taste in this smoke? I didn't see ya mention it, so I was just curious because that was one of the predominant nuances throughout the first half when I smoked mine. and 2.) Which vitola did you have? I had the figurado and was just wondering which yours was because i'd like to try it if different and see if I get more of that nutty flavor that I normally like so much as well. GREAT review, brother and I'm glad to see that you gave it a shot! :tu

Jason

Nice review! I didn't think they were great initially, but I had my last one a few weeks ago with my father in law. It was outside and just a beautiful day. The Black was an awesome compliment to the weather! :ss

i forgot to mention the pepper, there was a little but not a whole lot in the beginning then it quickly ended about 1/4 way through. Mine was a robusto, you can't miss the nutty flavor in this one.

Great Review. I love the DPG Blacks and really like the hit of spice I get at the beginning :tu

i forgot to mention the pepper, there was a little but not a whole lot in the beginning then it quickly ended about 1/4 way through. Mine was a robusto, you can't miss the nutty flavor in this one.

I feel really stupid about asking which size it was earlier. While at work, the pictures in the threads don't show up for some reason, otherwise I would have known quite easily it wasn't the figurado :r

Jason

I've not sampled the black yet, only the blue...which I enjoyed quite a bit. Your burn looks like what I typically stare at most times. Thanks for the review.

Back