The Hemingway Thing

Mister Moo

The Pinnacle of Style
I know several Fuente whores and have nothing against two of them, but I never considered myself one. Yeah, so I like Anejos OK but sometimes they make my head sweat; and while there’s nothing wrong with an OpusX (at MSRP) in my book it is hard to develop a serious enough pile of them to smoke them whenever you want to. The 8-5-8 family is pretty good but there are a dozen-dozen other cigars I’d pick before them if I had my d’ruthers. I do like a Shark – can you please send me 50 so I can smoke just one per week? (No? Really?) Maybe the most mindboggling cigar I ever smoked was either a Montesino or a Chateau (maduros) but each was a weird one-off find at a soggy old B&M down in south Georgia and each was some kinda vision of plume atop plume. Man – they were sweet, but I’ve never seen more like them. Gods of Fire and Forbiddens might be the greatest smokes ever made but, at the prices they trade for, I’d rather buy a few shares of Lowes common stock instead. I never smoked one and don’t expect I ever will. ResIpsa hooked me (and others) up with a good GOF deal a year or so ago but I only got one or two for someone else – I wasn’t that interested. Curly Heads? Don’t float my boat at all. A Don Carlos can be nice once in a while but I am exactly passionate about them. And so on and so on and so on...

Except Hemingways. I have a Hemi Jones. There is something nice about the stout wooden box, for starters; the shiny hardware, the ornate logo artwork and the very classy calligraphy. Inside you are greeted with a clean plastic cover, humi pak and gold embossed ribbon beneath a red faux-satin lid covered almost completely with the colorful Fuente label. And then, finally, the cigar. Per-FEKT… oh. I favor the perfecto above all others and the slow light and patient opening puffs that get it going evenly. Smooth sides – nary a ripple. There are sizes to suit in the hemi line including the remarkable little Short Story. Most people are happy to accept a Short Story. The little guy is a great smoke and lasts a surprisingly long time.

All the trappings of shape, color and package aside there remains the flavor. Many cigars that have more oomph, pizzazz, snap, vanilla, cocoa, espresso, leather and cedar. But whenever I come back to a Hemi it tastes just like the last one – natural or maduro - and I like it each and every time. Actually, I like a cigar with more punch and more in-your-face flavor most of the time but a steady diet of butt-kicker cigars is not for me. A Hemingway is a welcomed, reliable and always enjoyable diversion from whatever else is happening in my cigar-or-otherwise life.

I am NOT a fulltime Fuente whore but I might be Carlos’ bitch every once in a while.

If you have never tried one, you should. If you can’t find one to try, pm me.

Reactions: GAW
I can't agree with you more. I have always enjoyed the Hemmingway. The Short Story always has a happy ending! Whenever I see a box of Short Stories at a local B&M I buy it, hard to find sometimes.

Just had a Hemingway at my local B&M on Monday, while stopping in to say hi. I have never had anything but perfect construction from one, and although I don't smoke them too often anymore, they are definitely one of my favorite NC lines. :tu

I agree
Hemmingways are very enjoyable.

The Rothschilde Maduro is tasty and at $4.30 ya can't beat it.
(that is a Hemmingway, isn't it?)

B:ss

I wish I had your luck.. I usually have serious draw or burn issues with these..
Really?! I have smoked scores with nary a problem. Dipping yours in bourbon, perhaps, at some stage of the game, A'man? You are not a wettie, are you?

I do keep the humi in the 60-61% zone. Anything there?

Dipping yours in bourbon, perhaps, at some stage of the game, A'man? You are not a wettie, are you?

Hmm.. let me recall.. NO! A wettie?? :r

I keep the humi on the dry side.. I have been known to :dr when I smoke but I don't think thats my problem.
Come to think of it I :dr when I play guitar, sleep Ect.. Maybe I am a wettie :c

Last edited:
I have only tried the short story & signature hemingways & much preferred the larger size. I taste an unpleasant sourness in most cigars with Cameroon wrappers, but a few (AF Hemi Sig, LA Pref. rob, HdM Ex 1066) are nice change once in a while. After trying the short stories a few times now I have resigned to the fact that they are not for me.

I agree
Hemmingways are very enjoyable.

The Rothschilde Maduro is tasty and at $4.30 ya can't beat it.
(that is a Hemmingway, isn't it?)

B:ss

That's a negative Ghostrider. The Rothchild size (4.5x50) is available in the Gran Reserva (Green Band) and the Chateau (but called the Chateau Fuente, not Rothchild) lines.

Same here. I thought I was turning into a Fuente fanboy when I first started smoking. But I hated the Flor Fina 858 maduro that I smoked, though, and the OpusX, while a great cigar, wasn't really worth the money IMO. It turns out that I'm just a huge fan of the Hemingway line :dr

Well, I might be #3. About the only Hem that I have had trouble W the burn is the Masterpiece. But my favorites right now are the WOAM, power ranger, and the 8-5-8 SG

I like the Hemi line as well, and have never had any major issues out of them. I like the Anejos so much more, but the Hemi's are a lot easier to get hold of.

:tpd: Me either!! Although my favorite NC is an Untold Story, just wish they weren't so pricey!

Hey, how many good vices don't cost you a few dollars! But, you are so right, the Untold Story is a substantially good smoke...when you can get'em and of course, you're right...pricey! Had a maddie gifted to me at my son's wedding rehearsal a few weeks ago and quickly found reason to grab some drinks from the bar and then headed for the patio with my new best friend (and the guy who gave the stick to me ;)). A superb smoke, indeed. Thanks for reminding me!

Back