The Journey - everybody has one (loong post warning)

RevSmoke

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Here's a new thought. What's your cigar journey? I don't know how to explain doing it, because everybody has and will include different details. I'll get it started, mine should give you some ideas.

I've heard that "life is a highway." I don't know if that's true, I hate the highway, I'd rather cut my own path through the woods (or the jungle). It's wonderful how many people you meet and where they are. We all share a passion - the enjoyment of a fine cigar. How has your cigar journey meandered to get you were you are today?

Grab a vine around the campfire and listen to me tell my tale - then take your turn at the talking stick and share your journey.

I started smoking cigars and pipes my first year in college in 1980. It began with a Dutch Masters Presidente and a corn cob. Downtown Chicago one day I stumbled onto Iwan Ries - I hit the slope. Thankfully, I didn't have a credit card, and it was a long trip from the the campus to get there. Of course a box of AF Chateau Fuentes was less than $20 (a the pound of tobacco and an inexpensive IR briar, and I was sliding down the slope on my backside. That's how it all started. I smoked my pipe everyday, but the cigars were more a 5 times a week thing.

When I moved to the LA area (Maywood school & Huntington Park was home) to be a teacher, my smoking was much curtailed. I just didn't have the time. I smoked maybe 4 times a week - period - pipe or cigar. But now, it was almost exclusively cigars. And there were numerous shops in which to find them, but considering how often I smoked and being a newlywed just before moving to LA, I didn't spend a lot of time at shops.

When I headed to the Seminary in 1988 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, I stumbled upon Riegels and the manager, Dennis. Now I got an education in pipes... Cool!! There were others at the sem who also enjoyed cigars (and pipes), so now the social aspect of smoking fell into place. Studying in the commons with others would often find a blue haze filling the room. At times, middle and end of quarter gatherings at someone's home, would be smoke-fests (they're now called herfs).

My first congregation was in Naugatuck, CT. There were a couple nice local shops that grew up in the boom - Brass City Tobacconist in Waterbury and Stogies in Naugatuck. Both had places to sit.

Up until this time, I had smoked both pipe & cigar, sometimes one more predominantly than the other. When the boom happened, and cigar prices went bonkers (for no reason), I smoked more of my pipe than cigars. But, there were always good deals to be found. I remember finding some Nicole Millers for about $1 a stick by the box. They were a great smoke, but way over-priced at $15 a cigar. Well, they sold out and JR bought their stock. I was visiting a JR in St. Louis, had one, went back and bought three boxes. (Oh yeah, JR cigar had always been a great way to get sticks, prices were really good)

To me, cigars are a more social thing - to be enjoyed with friends - especially others who enjoy a cigar. A pipe on the other hand is a cerebral thing - contemplative, for those deep thinking moments.
Of course, both go well with fishing.

While in CT, I discovered internet - and with it, other online cigar/pipe shops and also a community - AOL cigar club. We'd share reviews and other discussions. I posted a few reviews and Andy Marincovich (a regular there), and also an editor from Smoke Magazine read them and asked if I'd like to review some for Smoke. What? (you mean I'll get free cigars when cigars are priced like they are? and even free, real Cubans without having to know codes to avoid the fakes?) Sure!!! I did blind reviews for SMOKE in the Spring, Summer, and Fall 1999 issues (and I'm pictured as a panelist in the last two). It was with the Fall issues smokes that I had to ask not to be included anymore. Why? I don't smoke as much as they wanted me to... They'd send 3-4 unbanded cigars in a baggie - each would be labeled something like, Robusto #4, Lonsdale #105, etc... And there would be 10-15 baggies in a box. And they'd tell me that they want my reviews in a month. I'm a pastor and my schedule is nuts, not many evenings free to sit down and really "taste" a cigar... I smoke socially, meaning if I'm going to have a cigar, I want to do it with others - and on a pastor's salary, going to the local cigar friendly establishments... Cigar, free.... Accompanying beverages, $5-$10... Wallet's contents - limited... Keeping wife happy by spending occasional evening at home with here - priceless!!!

Yes, I was smoking more cigars than pipes in '99, and that continued as I got to north Wisconsin. Having done reviews, and then posting them on the site at Yahoo and some acquaintances made through that, and some of them cigar manfactures, I found myself with lots of cigars and only a couple pipes.

Embarrass doesn't have many cigar smokers - and those who do prefer Swishers and Backwoods. As a volunteer on the local fire department, I had a place to smoke once a month, but I'd always have to bring a few cigars to share - given what they liked, the return favors were piling up. I started smoking my pipe more. No longer having AOL, I needed to find another smoking community - Yahoo Pipe Smokers Club is what I found - great group of BOTL & SOTL, but not much in the way of cigar discussion.

But now, I wanted a couple good pipes... I wanted some of the better tobacco... I'm on a limited budget... What to do? Well, I found a couple BOTH who were interested in some of my cigar stock and had higher grade pipes to trade. Over the next couple years saw my tobacco cellar grow, my pipe racks fill, as I emptied and traded off cigars and even a couple humidors to go with them. A side benefit was that I no longer needed to tend two 100-count humis and a 50-count humidor and a 80qt tupperdor.

I really enjoy the ritual of filling a pipe, but now I learned to enjoy the flake and kake tobaccos and the ritual of preparing them for smoking. Yes, I still enjoyed a cigar - but only once every other month or so.

Pipes are really great outdoors. When it is raining and you have a cigar - you're done. If you have a straight pipe, you can simply turn it upside down and it becomes it's own umbrella. I remember onces fishing a trout stream in the rain and the bite was just incredible. With my rain suit, I was good. I remember watching the cigarette smoker there cursing cause his cigs kept getting rained on. I sat contentedly on an inverted pipe. Add to this that there are a couple tobaccos that my sons smell and think of fishing... That's a memory they will have forever...

The occasional cigar was still in my rotation, maybe one every other month or so. Then, last summer, I was in Gettysburg, the family did a tour of the battlefield (definitely an experience you must consider) and a walking tour of the town when I stumbled on couple cigar stores. I decided to pick up a couple. The rest of vaction in Virginia meant I had some cigars available to me and I ended up smoking more of those than my pipe.

Add to this the fact that in our couples bowling league, our former partners had to bow out because his shoulder needed surgery. Picked up another couple to partner with, he's a cigar smoker - real cigars... Now I had another to share with. I even learned to enjoy a cigar alone (but I still prefer to have them with another BOTL).

Then most recently, I found CS. I again have a community to share stogies with --- those braving the jungle - and the journey --- and the story of the journey.

So, what's your journey been like? Who'll take the talking stick next?

My first cigar? Probably a William Penn, back in high school.

In college, while trying to kick the cigarette habit, I would get a box of White Owls, which would dry out before I could finish 'em.

Twenty-five years ago, I'd get a box of cheapos from Thompson, and the same thing would happen; I'd toss a bunch eventually. Plus, I was still smoking cigarettes and would puff a cigar and cigarette alternately, to get my nic fix.

Over the years I'd light up a pipe occasionally and would stop at a tobacco shop for a few blends. There I'd pick up an occasional cigar, generally of the Lord Beaconsfield or Judges Cave variety. But on one trip to Charlotte in the early '90s, I stopped at JR Cigars in Statesville and bought several dozen vitolas, to see what I had been missing. I was hooked. I began keeping a cigar journal, buying books about cigars, and trying to figure out what I liked, what I didn't, what I could afford....

I give RevSmoke and the rest of the late-and-lamented AOL cigar board credit for much of what I know about cigars; I tend toward the full-bodied but enjoy any cigar with complexity. I now have a wine fridge that has been converted into a humidor, and I have reached critical mass. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying a box at Duty Free the other day....

As a retiree, I don't have lots of gelt to throw around, so I have dusted off the pipes and am enjoying them a lot more than I did when I smoked cigarettes. I think the taste buds have returned to life. While watching a ballgame on TV, I can enjoy several bowls of different blends without blowing the budget.

I took a pipe with me on a recent tour of Israel and met a bunch of quality people during smoke breaks. And if you know where the smoking lounges are hidden in airports, you can really enjoy layovers!

Today I plan to watch the Tigers and Chisox, with some VaPer. And if the Tigers win, a cigar of foreign provenance may go up in smoke....

-- Mike

Well I certainly enjoyed reading of your journeys. Very colorful and full of life. Rather than write something new here I will refer you to my original introduction where I speak of such things.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69080

It still holds up (IMHO) although written over a year ago. However I do see a few things I could refine.:)

—Richard

I am spoiled, my first cigar was a RYJ Churchill . i was deployed to a lovely Garden Spot called Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and for my 25th birthday one of the old timers gave me a class on how to enjoy a smoke, and shared the brotherhood of the Cigar with me.

I have been hooked ever since, now as i sit here and reflect back, that will be 17 years ago tommorow. Where has the time gone.

It is funny that now after all these years I have finally settled down into a serious smoker with a humidor, as mentioned in my post about meeting Bobby Newman. I would have never thought it possible after all these years, but i still have the tube and band from that first Cigar.:tu

I forget exactly what my first cigar was. It was on my 18th birthday. It was a cherry flavored gas station cigar. It wasn't that good. I wanted to have a real cigar, like what my grandfather smoked. I went to the local Pipe and Cigar place, Riegels, and talked to the guy working in there. He helped me pick out a Helix 552. I remember smoking that sucker on my friends porch. After that I got on the internet and ran into CBid. I was a fan of the 5 Vegas Gold line. I then started trying other cigars from the B&M. When I was 18 and a freshman in school, I bought my first humidor. A little 20 count. I have since upgraded to a 100 count, and it is filled with nice sticks such as Opus X, PAMs, and CCs.

I forget exactly what my first cigar was. It was on my 18th birthday. It was a cherry flavored gas station cigar. It wasn't that good. I wanted to have a real cigar, like what my grandfather smoked. I went to the local Pipe and Cigar place, Riegels, and talked to the guy working in there. He helped me pick out a Helix 552. I remember smoking that sucker on my friends porch. After that I got on the internet and ran into CBid. I was a fan of the 5 Vegas Gold line. I then started trying other cigars from the B&M. When I was 18 and a freshman in school, I bought my first humidor. A little 20 count. I have since upgraded to a 100 count, and it is filled with nice sticks such as Opus X, PAMs, and CCs.
I also don't remember my first handmade cigar. I fell in love with cigars when my best man and I went on my wedding day to purchase a box of cigars for the event. The salesman led us to a box of A. Fuente Cuban Coronas. I absolutely loved them! My wifes uncle told me later that Fuente was considered near the top of the line cigars and I felt proud that I had purchased a good cigar. Today I do not appreciate the Cuban Corona by Fuente much anymore (more of a Rocky Patel man now) but everytime I smoke one (last night was the first in about 6 months) I think back to my wedding and my first true enjoyable experience with cigars. I don't love them for their taste, but a Fuente Cuban Corona is trip down memory lane for me. Thanks for starting this thread; give Revsmoke some ring guage for the enjoyable experience that this man has given us. I'm giving him some now.:tu

Well, I don’t know if it’s been a journey as much as a bumpy road, but I'll play. :D

The first cigar I remember smoking was a Tiparillo when I was seventeen. That would have been around 1970, the summer I was between high school and college. Still remember those little wooden mouthpieces they came with. Thought they were pretty cool. Working, school, surfing, parties, hot rods and Tiparillos – life was great for a young kid.

Throughout my twenties I smoked pretty much everything and anything – cigs, gars and pipes. I gave up the pipes before I hit thirty, and never went back to them. Don’t really know why. Not sure what ever became of my old pipes either. I'm afraid my twenties will forever remain a bit hazy to me.

My cigar habit rose and fell over the years. My stogie consumption was pretty dormant through most of the ‘80s, but picked up late in the decade (due in part to some trips to the Caribbean) and I happily puffed my way through the boom. I remember well all the oddball brands that came out during that time. Had a buddy who had a pretty good line on Cohibas coming out of Spain back then too. Good times.

By the turn of the millennium, I had again become the occasional cigar smoker, dipping into the humi a couple times a year at best. Unfortunately the one thing that remained constant were cigarettes – half a pack a day for a long time.

In May of 2006 I decided the cigarettes had to go so I quit cold. I gave myself a couple of months to purge the crap out of my body, and then decided the occasional cigar would stand me in good steed for the remainder of whatever time I’m granted in this grand old world of ours.

My poor humi presented a bit of a problem though. It was pretty depleted, and what little was in there looked like a time capsule from the boom years.

Having developed a fondness for Padron and Fuente in years gone by, and now having a whole new world of internet shopping to explore, I started some serious price shopping in the summer of 2006.

During one search, a site called Club Stogie popped up. “What the heck is a Club Stogie? Think I'll just click on this little link here and check it out.”

Sigh.

Speaking of tiparillos....

My father was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany, in the 1950s. This was back when smoking at your desk wasn't only permissible but almost mandatory. He smoked Hav-A-Tampa Jewels and emptied his ashtray at the end of the day.

The following morning, the maintenance people would have cleaned the wooden tips and lined 'em up on his desk in case he wanted to re-use them.

If I recall, Hav-A-Tampa used Cuban tobacco exclusively back then. They didn't smell quite the same after Kennedy banned the importation of Cuban tobacco.

Dad's next posting was in Washington, D.C. I can remember the smell of Griffith Stadium, home of the Washington Senators, which was next to a bakery. Fresh bread. Hot dogs. And, back then, Cuban cigar smoke. Ballparks should still smell as good as Griffith Stadium did back in the day.

- Mike

My journey started out in Hollywood, Florida at the Hollywood airport. I had landed in Florida doing a temporary gig flying from Miami International out to the islands… Exuma, Inagua, Abaco, with occasional trips to Haiti and once to Cuba. When that was done, I fell in with a friend who owned a flight school at Hollywood airport, so I decided to stay and instruct there for a while.

Said friend enjoyed cigars. Had a nice humidor full, smoked whenever he could. We’d often go out for sushi, and I remember chuckling at his stoking up a stogie after a great meal. Every now and then he said that I should try it, as it was great and relaxing. I asked the usual questions about health, strengths, etc and he pointed me in the right direction as far as information.

At the end of the day at the flight school, we’d gather outside at the restaurant deck, and the cigarette smokers would smoke cigarettes and the cigar smokers would bring out the cigars, clippers, lighters. Drinks, smoke and talk would fill the evenings till late when we all went home.

One pleasant evening, I decided to give it a try. He selected a Macanudo, something in a Lonsdale size, showed me how to cut it. I quite enjoyed it, and was easily able to detect the various tastes coming from the smoke, and thought it was very nice to have a cigar in my hands that I could taste every so often to counterpoint my drink. I remember smoking that first one right down to the nub, and I even enjoyed the bitterness of a cigar gone on way longer than it really should have.

I had a cigar almost every night after that, but almost never bought my own, having no idea where to go or what to buy. My friend was quite happy to be my supplier. A few months after this, I met a girl (later to be my wife) and moved back to the Boston area where I had come from. I bought the occasional box of cigars, mostly going back to Te-Amos because they were what I could afford. I recall getting a box of LA Gloria Cubanas, discovering that some Arturo Fuentes were reasonably prices and good smokes, and Te-Amos were tolerable smokes when finances were tight. I also found an antique tin lined humidor that I would put them in (didn’t work well at all).

Cigar aficionado magazine was maybe 2 years old at this point, and the boom happened which pretty much priced me out of cigars entirely. I picked up a pipe, and experimented with various blends every now and again, maybe a few times a month, then that dwindled to almost never. During the late 90’s and the first half of this decade I would have a pipe or cigar maybe a few times a year, if that.

During this time, I stopped paying attention to cigars. Had no idea what was current, what was good, what was horrible, just didn’t’ care because they were all expensive. A year or so ago I figured that cigar popularity must have waned at least a little bit. I then found cheap humidors.com and discovered I could get a cheap humidor, so I did get a 30-50 size one for thirty-odd bucks. I had some cigars that friends and family would bring back from their vacations, and I knew they were good, and wanted to preserve them so I revived them (freezer method) got my humidor all set and then was hit with a ton of car repair bills. Fast forward another whole year, to last month.

Last month, one of my gunnie forum members pointed out a good buy from CI, a site that I had never heard of. I finally had some spare cash, so I splurged the $35 on the box of RP Vigilantes. Two weeks ago I found CS.com, registered and read all the stickies.

Slippery slope you say? Since that time last month, I have ordered, received, and more or less filled up a 120 cigar humidor, have more cigars arriving Monday as well as a hydra, a nice triple jet lighter, a Palio cutter on the way, and will be ordering some beads next week and already have a few other cigars in mind.

I wonder where I’ll be NEXT month?

My story isn't so eloquent. It goes kinda like this...
Scott, meet bad habit #3,368. How ya doin? Nice to meet ya.

From past personal experience, I figure I'll do it until it kills me, or makes me wish I was dead. That's just how I do things.
I'm a real slow learner, too. :)

Back