The Maxx

macjoe53

Alpha Silverback
I finally had the time to set down and smoke both the Traditional and the Fix that the owner of my B&M gave me to try.

I smoked the Traditional first and waited until the next day to smoke the Fix.

Both were good smokes and I found them to be flavorful with a good aroma and plenty of cool smoke. I didn’t find any harshness or bite to this cigar. The flavors I detected were those of a strong coffee with woodsy undertones in the first third. It started changing and the coffee flavor became smoother with just a hint of chocolate. I also started picking up some spiciness.

The Traditional is a small ring gauge than the Fix and I found it to burn more evenly than the Fix – both of the ones I had required a touch-up or two to even out the burn at times. That being said, I liked the Fix more than the Traditional because I found the flavors to be more pronounced. If I had to choose between the two, I would buy the Fix. If I had to pick between the Maxx and the CAO Brazilia – which it reminded me of – I don’t know if I could or would. The two are very close with the Brazilia I’ve smoked being slight better constructed and burning more evenly.

The MAXX reminded me of the CAO Brazilia but I couldn’t say I preferred one over the other even though I’m a CAO fan.

My bottom line is that I will by more of the Maxx and I wouldn’t be embarrassed to pass them out to my friends.

Nice review. I had one about a year ago and hated it. Might have been a lemon, but I remember throwing it out half way through. Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future.

Good review. I smoked a Ego a couple of night ago that I got in a trade last year. I had put off smoking it due to it's length. Wow was I surprised! A very nice cigar with lots of taste and no bitterness. It took me a couple of sittings to finish but I smoked it to the nub. I was going to write a review on it until I saw yours. Good job.

I recently had one of these as well. I will be making room for more of them in my humi. They'll be sharing space with my Padrons! :ss

Good review... I've been smoking these for about a year... never had a bad one. Didn't have any problems with the burn. :tu

I picked up three of the Maxx when they first came out. I smoked one right away and found it a little hash and bitter, but after letting them rest a couple months the other two were much better. And they did have a nice wrapper very dark and oily. Not sure if I'll be buying more, still undecided, plus thiers so many others still to try.

Grabbed a fiver from Atlantic (in their deals section) when ordering some other sticks last month and have been pleasantly surprised. It's a really flavourful smoke that burns very well. Will be getting more next order.

I bought a box of Torps (Curve) last year for something like $62 and for that its a good deal, given the size and quality of the smoke. I would not recommend them for $100 box though.

I had one of the big RG Maxx's awhile back and didn't care for it. I got one the the Maxx Traditionals at Cigar Fest and torched it tonight. Much better cigar. I got the strong coffee notes with some leather and wood. I really, really enjoyed the Traditional.

MCS

Have had 4 or 5 and loved the taste - hated the burn. Every... single.. one burned like crap. Canoed an inch or more every time and these were maintained and smoked at my B&M where I've never had problems with other smokes. Dunno... :confused:

Back