The Russian Roulette Smoke

Ok, I am the lucky victim ..... er..... I mean winner of Mr. Slowhand's Holy Grail Contest. Being the lucky guy that I am, Slowhand sent me about 23 of the Consuerga #73 Maduro's. They were not to his taste and he was gifting the rest to the lucky winner of the contest.

Now I had heard both good and bad things about this smoke. Some reviews said they were a decent-good smoke for the low price and were worth getting a box. One reviewer even said that these were "great" after a year or so resting in the humi. However, if you read other reviews you'll see phrases like "AVOID at all costs" & "Worst smoke I've ever had". So as you can see I was a little apprehensive to try these as I knew I was playing Russian Roulette with these sticks and didn't want to end up getting the bullet. So when my package arrived in the mail I let the smokes sit for about a week or so before trying to fire one up.

First impression: upon removing the cello these cigars emitted the strongest smell in a stick I've ever smelled besides the Thompson brand Belmondo I was gifted a couple of years ago. Not strong good either, these have the type of aroma that makes you want to segregate them from your other smokes.

So I took the plunge and lit one up to see which end of the gun I got and............ it turns out there wasn't an empty chamber. WHOA, harsh and hot on first draw..... DAMN. It was like huffing a chimney of an active fireplace. Made me cough and sputter. I decided right then that I wasn't going to inhale any more of this stick and would just stick to puffin'. So I plowed forward trying to give the stick enough time to calm down and smooth itself out. Turns out that the Consuerga had something else in mind. It decided to kick my ass with a nasty ashy taste. I kept going as I'm not one to give up so easily but in the end the Consuerga died with about an inch and a half left. I just couldn't finish. The flavor stayed very consistent throughout..... consistently bad.

However I think I'm going to let 'em rest for a year or so and see how they turn out then. Hopefully they will mellow out and actually present some flavor. They look nice though.

Big thanx to Jason for trying to kill me :D I appreciate the contest. Not my Holy Grail either but we'll see if they can turn into a used copy of the King James edition after a year :r

I think those cigars qualify for an accelerated aging experiment. Yes, we know cigars should be stored at 70-70. But the rate of chemical change (in wines and - I surmise - cigars) related to ageing increases at a factor of ~2 for each 10 C increase in storage temperature. In other words, three months at 50 C is equal to 24 months at 20C (3x2x2x2). Of course, things are not that simple, but age related chemical changes affecting flavor will definately be much faster at 50 than 20.

"So", you ask, "Mr anal scientist (methinks that just means "ass"), how can I control humidity at 65-70% and 50C".

Well, I have a book.....yes,not just any book, but Food Properties Handbook, which says that saturated Potassium Iodide will create a humidity of 64.5% at 50C. Saturated NaCl will be 74.4%. With the NaCl you're risking mold growth, but 50C may be a bit high for mold. I would be worried about KI creating I2 which would negatively impact flavor. We don't use credos for this, we use deseccators.

In any case, you can send me a couple for accelerated ageing and I will age them for you in one of my ovens in lab that holds 50 C pretty constant. Or 60 C ... the equivalence of 4 years of ageing in 3 months......whatta ya think? I'll age a couple of them and keep an eye on them and send them back to you after 3 months. I think with those cigars, it can't hurt.

Sean

What do I think??? I think my f***ing head hurts after all of that :r

Sounds good as long as I don't have to figure out those conversions. I think that might be a cool experiment to do and see if it has any affects. However if I keel over and die because of your experiment I will come back and haunt your ass. Hmmm.... I wonder if my life insurance would cover death by experimental stogie???????

PM me

LasciviousXXX said:

Sounds good as long as I don't have to figure out those conversions. I think that might be a cool experiment to do and see if it has any affects. However if I keel over and die because of your experiment I will come back and haunt your ass. Hmmm.... I wonder if my life insurance would cover death by experimental stogie???????

PM me

:r MFAO at you Lascivious......your killing me. Hey....be careful with those Moose Missles

LasciviousXXX said:

PM me

Yea, I'd hate for the cigars to start producing carcinogens or carbon monoxide after treatment .... oh ...... yeah ..... scratch that.

60 C for 3 months wih NaCl to maintain humidity. We shall see....I will age some la fincas and we can do a taste comparison. THIS IS SCIENCE! Maybe we can publish the data in the Journal of Irreproducable Results?

PM sent.

Last edited:
Back