The Summer "Yard-Gar" - Myth or Legend?

Mister Moo

The Pinnacle of Style
Is there really a yard gar?

Each time I go outside to work in the yard I find myself eyeing the humi for a yard gar. All my boxes of old so-so cigars that I pray will taste better next year always get the first look.

Then I slide them out of my way and pick out something way better and way more expensive. Yard gar my heinie. I don't think they exist outside of my imagination.

You?

I would love to find the elusive yard gar as well, but so far I'm with you...I always end up picking out something that seems too expensive for a yard gar title.

Each time I go outside to work in the yard I find myself eyeing the humi for a yard gar. All my boxes of old so-so cigars that I pray will taste better next year always get the first look.

Then I slide them out of my way and pick out something way better and way more expensive. Yard gar my heinie. I don't think they exist outside of my imagination.

You?

I just had a contest to get rid of all my "yard gars" like you, I've decided that even working in the yard deserves a decent cigar. No more "bargains" on C-Bid for me.

MCS

PS: I like you

The Connie #84 is my yard gar. Matter of fact it's my whatever I am going to do outside smoke. Cheap enough that if I have to toss it - who cares. Need to relight several times - so what. Fit's the bill for me.

Ron

The beauty of the apartment is that there is not need for a yard gar. :)

I have some cheaper decent smokes in my humi but these days I find I give them away to cigar novices more often than I smoke them. I no longer give away great sticks to people I don't know well. I've seen too many sticks nubbed after 10 mins because there is "something" wrong with it.

Not forgetting to mention that you can get some great deals on great sticks if you pay attention.

The Connie #84 is my yard gar. Matter of fact it's my whatever I am going to do outside smoke. Cheap enough that if I have to toss it - who cares. Need to relight several times - so what. Fit's the bill for me.

Ron
You exhibit more self-restraint than I. You should run a seminar here, champ. :D

Bet it feels nice to be back to yard work, too, doesn't it? :)

The Connie #84 is my yard gar.
Ron
Whats the #84

You?
It's funny u say that, I do the same thing. I find myself smoking some of by best cigars outside prob because there my go2smokes. Is there a cure for this.

I agree, I don't smoke my cheaper sticks like I once did, I only smoke 2-3 a week and really want those special times to kick ass, so its usually a Padron, Oliva, or an LGC Serie R so the El Mejor Espresso's and LVH Maduros get pushed to the back, or handed to new smokers, not because I won't give them "the good stuff" its that I cry to watch one get wasted. I still smoke the El Mejors and LVH but I just dont think I will be picking up many more of them, when so many other sticks I really like are close in price to the cheapies I pick (i.e. Padron Londres around 2.00 a stick, whereas the El Mejor's on CBID are around 1.50 a stick give or take, but for the extra 50 cents, needless to say Padron wins everytime)

Short answer, no more yard gars, if I'm puffing, I want to love it, yard gar or not.

i go for one of the cheaper ($2 or less) when i'm doing stuff like mowing, landscaping, demolition at work-no sense in smoking better if it might get mowed over, squashed, etc.-i don't analyze cigars, but i do like the time to enjoy it, which ain't when i'm sweating my balls off pushing a mower!-i'll go for something like an old fashioned, nic 3K, tierra del sol, rp 2nd

You?

What once were cherished "special occasion smokes" can become yard gars as you slide further down the slope.

I slobbered all over a 98 Boli CG working in the yard today. It was heaven. Maybe an atados when I pick up goose crap on Wed. (Not really just a tribute comment to the dark lord)

Seriously though, yard gars are made not bought. The Cbid stuff I have I wouldn't smoke with PaulMacs lips now. (Happy Birthday bro :D ) It just keeps getting older and no better. The better the smokes you get the less you cherish the smokes that preceeded them. And things further up the slope, don't get any action at all. It's the way of things.

We need to hit the cigars for the troops thread hard.

Thompson cigar has their powerhouse 30 specials that aren't too bad--the empresario is the best I've had. Natural wrapper, mild smoke that's decent for the price. I'll grab it if i'm wanting some of my better smokes to age longer. Cheap enough to toss if need be, but decent enough for taking anywhere.

I have gone to seconds for my yard gar. Still have the flavor and construction of a premium, but just a little cheaper. Right now I am going through a bundle of RP Vintage 1990 torp seconds.

Only problem is I'm finding that I smoke them much quicker due to having the smoke in my mouth all the time because my hands are full. Makes the smoke a little harsher, but still makes yard work worthwhile.:cb

I've found that cigars I've smoked while I am working are ones I tend not to want when sitting down for just a smoke. CAO Golds and Maria Mancini De Gaulle have fallen into this category and are now mostly yard gars. Something is different about a smoke after working hard and sweating while smoking it. If I am headed out to a herf though, these aren't the cigars I bring, something more like a Pepin Series JJ is more appropriate. :ss

Last edited:
The 5 Vegas "A" is firmly set as what I like to call my Utility Smoke. Don't want to hit anything from the top shelves while I sweat and drool on it as I labor in the yard. They last a while. Cheap. Taste yummy. All good in my book.:tu

It is a good cigar that is easy to keep stocked and is very versatile. THink I will go have one now.

Both Myth & Legend!

DSC04316_2.jpg

Back