The Ultimate Connoisseur's Tool

tfar

Evolving Lead Gorilla
It is not the Connoisseur who is the ultimate tool but the instrument that allows him or her to enjoy all the culinary, liquid and smokable pleasures.:ss

As far as I know this tool does not exist yet, but it could easily be made. I have quite a few ideas I am willing to share to see what you think of them and to hear your ideas on how this tool should look like and what it should include.
<o></o>
In general, I imagine something along the lines of a gourmet’s Swiss knife in terms of size, shape and utility and inspired by the craftsmanship and finish of a Dupont lighter.
<o></o>
What do we need – subdivided in must-have and optional?
<o></o>
Must have:
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->cork screw (teflon-coated helix like screwpull)

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->bottle cap opener with big screwdriver (this will also be able to open cigar boxes and oysters; it would have to be beefier than the one on a Swiss knife)
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-can opener with small screwdriver (the can opener can be used on foie gras cans or desperate cases of tobacco and caviar tins; the screwdriver can adjust the flame on a lighter)
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Cigar scissors, spring-loaded
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->A long, thin poker for cigars and pipes and to bleed lighter valves
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Pipe tamper
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Pipe scraper/spatula (the one on the Monarch pipe lighter is very good if a bit too short)
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Big blade for cutting that foie gras or hacking up tobacco or opening a box of ISOMs.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Foil cutter for wine bottles (instead of a small blade)
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Tooth pick
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Pen (instead of tweezers) useful for taking tasting notes or jotting down someone’s phone number (if you have this tool the ladies will throw their numbers at you :D)
<o></o>
Optional:
<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->A small screwdriver for eyeglasses that threads into the cork screw just like with Swiss knives. People who can afford this most likely are of the age to need glasses.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->Cigar punch
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->A small fork for picking up tidbits from a serving tray or bowl (though the poker might be used for that, too).
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->An LED flashlight (though it would be preferable to not need a battery).
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->A watch (though that would again require a battery and probably spoil the look)
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->A tee-off marker for golf (which would be too easily lost).
<!--[if !supportLists]-->-<!--[endif]-->A surface to strike a match on.
<o></o>
Design and Finish
<o></o>
As I said, this would have the size and shape of a Swiss Army knife. Perhaps one could make it a bit thinner on one end and thicker on the other – imagine an elongated Xikar cutter silhouette. This would probably give it good handling and differentiate it from the Swiss knife type.
<o></o>
On Swiss knives the grip plates can be exchanged. This would be a nice thing to adopt for the Connoisseur’s tool. They would all need to be engraveable because such a tool deserves to carry its owners name with pride ;). I can imagine different finishes, say carbon fiber, gold and silver polished or with different guilloches (e.g. straight line, barley grain, Clou de Paris/hobnail), satin or brushed steel or brass and… to top things of Palladium and Lacque de Chine. It would also be nice to have the option of a ring gauge décor on the grip plates, so one can measure the thickness of the module one is smoking. In the lacquer version that would look particularly nice – picture black lacquer and thin palladium circles with palladium numbers in them. :dr

<o></o>
The tool itself would always be the same but you can choose the grip plates according to your taste and pocket book and even upgrade to a nicer shell if you wish.
<o></o>
Probably the price for the lowest cost option would need to be in the $150 range with the Lacque de Chine being closer to $1500. I suppose to have this made by a master knife maker would cost anywhere between $500 and $3000 for the prototype.
<o></o>
Which instruments would you like to see in such a tool? How much do you think would people be willing to spend for something like this? I consider this an heirloom piece, like a Rolex and a Dupont lighter but with the utility of a Swiss officer’s knife.
<o></o>
Let’s hear your take on it!
<o></o>
Till

Just to show that I have searched beforehand here are a couple of links to similar gadgets that are however not as refined as what I dream of.

http://www.garrettspecialties.com/folding-cigar-knife-p-1422.html

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1136,00.html

This is the $320 version of this $50 knife

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Cigar-Knife/dp/B000FNIL6C

There is also the Xikar Multitool which is very small but too flimsy.

The Connoisseur's Tool should be still smaller than a Swiss Champ Army knife, about half as thick.

Till

Sounds like you have put some real thought into this one. Some great ideas there. :tu

Anyway to integrate a Palio into that?:ss

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">That's off the hook!!!:tu
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think it would be a great thing to have... although would the cutter on such a knife be as good as say a Palio? Cool idea brother

And here all this time i thought I was the Ultimate Tool!:ss

I got you beat. :cb

I am pretty "advanced" when it comes to tools.

The cutter on such a tool would be comparable to other scissor style cutters. It would be hard to integrate a guillotine. On the other hand if the blade were really sharp, which wouldn't be a problem to achieve, one would probably get a very clean cut by just using the long blade.

I have looked into custom folding knife makers. Whoa, there is crazy stuff out there. Knives with mammoth ivory and ruby studded bolts and mosaic damascene blades for 2000-5000 dollars. Those are works of art. I wouldn't carry it that far as this would put it really out of reach for most folks.

If you look at the Wenger tool I posted it is almost like what I am looking for but lacks the pipe ustensils. I bet a knife maker could just disassemble the Wenger, use some of its tools and add the other ones. Then add some nice shells on the outside.

Do you guys have any other ideas on what ustensils you would like in such a tool, or do you think the way I picture it is rather complete?

Till

Right, not an onboard tool. Chech-in would be obligatory. Although, don't they have a rule that non-fixed blades up to two inches are ok?

The practical thing about it would be that you always have everything with you that you need for a mice evening whatever the culinary situation will bring.

Till

Anyway to incorporate a lighter? I have a small Vector pocket knife that contains a flint lighter, but the tools aren't helpful for cigars. Just a pin knife and scissors like you would find on a swiss army knife.

Anyway to incorporate a lighter? I have a small Vector pocket knife that contains a flint lighter, but the tools aren't helpful for cigars. Just a pin knife and scissors like you would find on a swiss army knife.

Well, I thought about the lighter. I am sure that would be possible but there are two reasons it might not be such a good idea.

First, it will certainly be possible to find a gifted artisan who is capable of building the mechanic side of the knife. But to integrate a lighter requires someone with a lighter production facility with all its special tools. So this would take it into the clearly industrial production realm. And for an industrial production there might not be enough aficionados out there to buy it. I also have a small lighter that goes on a key chain and has a little knife and screw driver and perhaps even scissors. It is very practical but since the smoking ban and since less people smoke here than in Europe it is not necessary anymore to carry a lighter with you at all times in order to fulfill your duties as a gentleman and offer some fire to someone (pretty).

The only possibility I see would be to use something like the Vector Zippo insert for pipes. This would be able to light pipes and cigars. But it is big which brings us to the second reason.

The second reason is that this would probably make the instrument to unwieldy. It would get too thick and heavy.

Besides, my exchangeable grip plate idea would allow you to sort of match the Connoisseur's tool to your favorite lighter be it a Dupont, Zippo or What have you.

Keep the comments coming.

Till

A tool to shuck oysters and clip your cigar at the same time? Now that's just silly talk.

Well, why not? Of course, it is a gadget but at least it is useful. And the Oyster tool would not be the exact same tool as the cigar scissors. If your were able to use it at the exact same time to clip a cigar on one end while shucking an oyster on the other end, you could probably perform with that act.

Naturally, if you eat the oysters in a restaurant they will be opened for you. If you decide to have a little picnic that's different. You open your bottle of Sancerre, then have some fines de claire oysters, open some foie gras cut (not spread it) on a piece of white bread and then clip a nice Romeo and Julieta all with the same tool.

Till

Back