The wonder of cigars

Is there anything else that transcends generations like cigars? Where else but a herf do you run into 20 sumtin to 50 sumtin's sharing a passion together?

Then there are the cigars themselves. Thin ones, fat ones, short ones, long ones, thin short, fat long..etc. The whole varied size thing is so cool and interesting. Add to that the issue of blending.. mild to strong, tart to sweet, etc. On top of that you have leaf from different countries to explore. Hell the cigars themselves are composed of varying quantities of leaf from different parts of different plants, sometimes blended from up to 5 different countries.

Then comes the dimension of age. Fresh vs rested vs aged vs vintage. So many aspects that have an affect on the flavor of a cigar. Speaking of which, the environmental factors.. where you are, who you are smoking with.. seem to have a great impact on the enjoyment of a cigar.

It's such a neat hobby in that there are so many variables and combinations of things that it doesn't get stale. Making friends and sharing the passion is the best part of it all.

Cigars! Enjoyed daily, but a lifetime of sharing, exploration and fun.

Well said. I'm still a cigar newbie, but I agree that the cigar is a wonderful, mysterious, and timeless part of our world.

Is there anything else that transcends generations like cigars? Where else but a herf do you run into 20 sumtin to 50 sumtin's sharing a passion together?

Then there are the cigars themselves. Thin ones, fat ones, short ones, long ones, thin short, fat long..etc. The whole varied size thing is so cool and interesting. Add to that the issue of blending.. mild to strong, tart to sweet, etc. On top of that you have leaf from different countries to explore. Hell the cigars themselves are composed of varying quantities of leaf from different parts of different plants, sometimes blended from up to 5 different countries.

Then comes the dimension of age. Fresh vs rested vs aged vs vintage. So many aspects that have an affect on the flavor of a cigar. Speaking of which, the environmental factors.. where you are, who you are smoking with.. seem to have a great impact on the enjoyment of a cigar.

It's such a neat hobby in that there are so many variables and combinations of things that it doesn't get stale. Making friends and sharing the passion is the best part of it all.

Another insightful post, Dave. :tu
Cigars have allowed me to meet and befriend some of the best people I know.

The all walks of life part is pretty amazing I have no idea what most of the folk on here do or what socioeconomic levels they come from and frankly it doesn't matter. For me those type of things never matter but that is not the case for all folks. Cigars transcend all those typical barriers.

Great Post Dave as usual.

In the early - mid 90's I smoked quite a few cigars but then sorta faded out when the boom ended.

Ratters gave me a GIANT shove down the slope again and it's been ugly ever since.

I really enjoy that there is a cigar for every mood. A flavor, a shape, a strength to satisfy almost everyone. Like right now, it's early on the West Coast and I'm enjoying a fine mild cigar with my morning coffee. This afternoon I'll probably burn a Triple Maduro or something really full after lunch.

As pointed out, how cool is it that BOTL's of all ages can sit and swap stories of life while enjoying a fine hand crafted product? How many opportunities in life are there to simply hit 'pause' and just let the good times roll? Some of the best experiences I've had this year are directly tied to cigars and even this site. The Bay Area Herfs have introduced me to an incredibly dynamic and wonderful group of people. I find it fascinating to talk to them about what they enjoy, where their cigar passion has taken them, and even just learning about the cigar industry in general.

I'm truly baffled by how not-in-fashion cigars are for I feel they have so much to offer a person and society in general. Not just in the act of smoking itself, but the friends, the research, and the discovery of new blends...I just love cigars.

Thanks CS for helping to bring us all together. :tu
:bl

Great post Dave:tu
I remember when I 1st joined the board, I post I would be in the Cleaveland area for a day or two and some great guy who will remain nameless answered up and offered my partner & myself to his office. From there we had a great nite with conversation, laughter food, drinks and a bunch of smiles:) while at some very nice out doors restaurant. I would assume if it wasnt for cigars im sure our paths wouldnt have crossed (I know he regrets it now:D) If it wasnt for cigas im sure I wouldnt have met 98% of the people here. So to the maker of cigas thxs:tu.................

PS: Sorry2hear about all the snow u guys got there, hope your safe and sound inside staying warm with a good:ss

Great post. I think the best part of the whole hobby is the friends I meet. It is the only hobby in which Doctors and truck drivers sit side by side and smoke and talk as old friends. Affluent business owners and broke college students have a smoke and talk about life and cigars. It really is a great hobby and one I will partake in for the rest of my days.

Great post Dave. You have a great way of putting thoughts into words. It's great to realize the validity of our obsession!:tu

Hey thanks Dave. You took what I think and put it into words. I have a short circuit between my brain and typing fingers and I usually just put down gibberish. :tu

Thanks Dave. Your post makes a great start to a day! Great insights and perspective on the jungle.:tu:tu

I couldn't agree more, Dave. :)

Great post brother! Its true. My wife finds it wierd when I go smoke with people that are almost twice my age, but cigars bring us all together!
Scott

Nice post Dave. This hobby is truly unique and I've met some great BOTL's here and have learned so much in such a short time. :tu

Back