Tierra Del Sol Robusto Maduro

burninator

two hour break
Background: I picked up a 5-Pack of these smokes on CBid for $5. My first win! Woohoo! (BTW these are marked way down on CI right now) It's been sitting in my humi for about a month, and I finally got around to smoking one last night.

Drink: Strongbow English Cider...and a glass of spiced rum. Peer pressure's a dog.

Environment: Sitting on my old roommate's screened porch. 9:00 pm. It's balmy out...still pretty warm and high humidity from two days of rain.

Pre-light: Beautiful dark maduro wrapper, box pressed. It's flawless, and I can see that it's wrapped tightly. The draw was a little tough, but it got somewhat better when I cut it a little further up. I can sense a light hay smell as I ran my nose along the stick.

First third: The pre-light hay smell manifests itself in the smoke at first and then turns lightly woody. The burn is perfect despite the stifling humidity.

Second third: The flavor turned dark as I began to get a strong taste of what seemed like cocoa...delicious and surprising. I should note at this point that I was having some trouble with the draw, though my friend's stick was burning well, and his smoke was thick. Probably due to the weather or the tight roll.

Final third: The stick turned slightly spicy, though the burn went south, and I began to have trouble keeping it lit. To be fair, though, I'd been puffing on the poor thing for well over an hour. I don't blame the cigar for being tired. It finished with spice, and the woody flavor returned just a bit.

All in all, I enjoyed this seegar, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more, if the price is right. I'm looking forward to smoking the others when conditions are a little better. Hope you've enjoyed my first review ever. :)

I smoked one of these in the torpedo vitola and in the natural shade.

I think I smoked about a quarter inch before tossing it. Tasted like I was smoking straight charcoal. Ugh.

Glad to hear you had a better experience! Thanks for the review.

TechMetalMan said:
I smoked one of these in the torpedo vitola and in the natural shade.

I think I smoked about a quarter inch before tossing it. Tasted like I was smoking straight charcoal. Ugh.

Glad to hear you had a better experience! Thanks for the review.
I know what you mean. I read all the reviews on Fire before I went out and picked one up. I got the same charcoal taste in the first inch or so and tossed. I'll chalk it up to a deadly combination of a bad light, wet stick, humidity, and smoking in my car with the windows up and give it another shot.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

burninator said:
I know what you mean. I read all the reviews on Fire before I went out and picked one up. I got the same charcoal taste in the first inch or so and tossed. I'll chalk it up to a deadly combination of a bad light, wet stick, humidity, and smoking in my car with the windows up and give it another shot.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

me three. i didn't enjoy these one bit.

I have smoked the regular and maduro in the Tierro Del Sol, it's like night and day when it comes to the taste and flavor between the two. The regular I will not buy again but the maduro is a very enjoyable smoke. It has the cocoa, spice and mellow flavor that I like in a maduro cigar.

Bill

I bought a 5er of the torpedo maduro's on cbid.. paid $7 for the 5 pack plus shipping.. worked out to about 10 for the 5 pack. I was thinking I paid too much.. until I lit one up. Man I really enjoyed it, and Ive smoked another since that first one and it was just as good.. Time to go buy at least a bundle.
Scott

The Tierra del Sol was included in my first big order from CI. I got a whole bundle based only on the description in the catalog (I know better than to do that now!) At first I thought they were pretty good but I think my tastes have matured a bit since then (a whole 6 months ago).

I still light one up when I think I may not have time to finish and it won't kill me to throw it away after only an inch or two. I had one with morning coffee once and it tasted terrible but in the evening it is ok. Far from my favorite but then again it is pretty cheap.

My Cigar Bid shipment arrived last night and I picked out a Tierra Del Sol to smoke right away and threw the rest of the shipment in the freezer. I don't recall off the top of my head the technical specs, it was a maduro, probably 6.5 inches long, and had a very rectangular box press. The cigar looked nice, no visible flaws and I really liked the unique look of the box press. Draw was a little tight but the cigar was slightly damp from shipping so I can't hold that against it. Flavor profile was typical maduro. My thought while smoking it was that it was a cheap cigar trying very hard to be a good cigar. For a price point of $1 to $1.50 a stick it's certainly a worthwhile buy. It's not my "go to" cigar but I think keeping a 5 pack in my humidor for when I feel like something different is certainly worth it.

Back