Tivoli vs Lexington vs Vinotemp vs Torano

derick1965

Young Chimp
Club Stogie,
New member and long time smoker. Been pouring over the site and stumbled upon while searching for cabinet humidor sellers.
I am tired of maintaining 3 desktop humidors of various sizes. Especially after getting busy in my life and having them run a bit low with the RH. I want to invest in a unit that will give me some leeway with maintenance. I trust eveyones opinion and input here so I am hoping someone can sway my vote.
So here is my question. I am at the moment weighing heavily towards the conversion of a Vinotemp wine cooler. I have read alot of posts on what people have done and it sounds like the perfect do-it-yourself project with small costs. But I also like the Tivoli and the Legington from Tampa Humidor. But here is the real killer. My local tobacco shop where I keep a locker has a Toraño 90th-Anniversary Humidor sitting in his shop. He will let me have it for 400$ cash. My wife likes this better for the family room vs a stainless steel refrigerator. Plus it has a nice display to show off my Fonesca's and Cohiba Siolo VI's from the motherland Habana! I would greatly appreciate everyones input. And whatever I decide will be posted with pics.
To get a gander at the Torano go to the Cigar Aficionado site:
www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1852,00.html

I would go with the one from the B+M it looks fricken awesome. Probably also some sort of collectability (sp?) to it. Sounds like an awesome deal too. No way you can get either of the humidors from Tampa shipped for less than $50 and the vinotemp works nice but won't be a fixture in a family room like the Torano would be. :2

If you don't want it I might go get it. :tu

Also, while you wait for opinions head to the New Gorilla Forum and make an introduction and spend some time reading the "Stickies".

Last edited:
I like the idea of the vinotemp as a more small personal commercial humidor type but I am a nostalgia freak and like the Torono vs the Tampa models. I still need a bit more input before I decide. Although I may remove the Torano back advertising piece due to I hate to advertise....even if it reduces it's collector status.

personally i'd take the torano over the tampa models too-another option for the vinotemp might be to build (or have built) a case for it to dress it up-something along the line of rail & stile raised panels for the sides & top-door for the front would be optional, depending on whether you wanted to display the cigars or not

Well so far I appreciate all who have shared their :2 and it seems I am starting to sway towards the Torano. Especially since it is better eye candy to keep the wife happy. I will talk to my tobacconist this weekend and see what I can do. I will keep all poasted!
Thanks~!

Well, if you got the beans to spend on it, and you aren't worried about temperature controll, I would go with the Torano, it look incredible. If you are concerned about temperatures, the Vino is a great low cost option. I have a Vino and love it.

Temperature is not really an issue in the family room-lower level. The temp is anywhere from 64-72 deg. My main concern is the RH factor. As long as I can maintain that I am good. Like I said the Vino would be a fun project...but I have nowhere to stow it to where the wife would be cool with the look.

I dont have any input at all but i just realized you're from Linthicum Maryland. I spent a few years living there....i now live in Millersville.

What B&M do you frequent???

Ok since I am new to the forum I have no idea and cannot find what B&M means...if it is to buy my goodies from I usually frequent for smoking and
camaraderie the Cross Street Cigar in Federal Hill Baltimore. I have known Sheldon for quite sometime now and he is a good sport. For bulk purchases I will buy from Sheldon's,Mike's Cigar in Bay Harbor FL, especially great deals from their emails to customers. I also shop at JR's in the Carolinas. For accessories and such I just scour the web.

I dont have any input at all but i just realized you're from Linthicum Maryland. I spent a few years living there....i now live in Millersville.

What B&M do you frequent???

Now to bring you all up to date on my decision dilemna. I went to my local tobacco shop to aquire the Torano 90th Anniversery Humidor and it was supposedly sold. But for the first 695$ it would be yours...well after some wheeling and dealing there was going to be no deal. Instead I stumbled upon Atlantic Cigar site that had the Cigar Tower II Humidor in oak for 660.00 plus I found a code for free shipping so that was total price. The wife was very receptive of this fitting in with our decor. I already possess a CO XL and just odered 2lbs of beads @ 65% RH alond with the Hydra with the exre fan kit. Once I get it all set up I will keep posted as to how it is holding up.

Well alot has happened since trying to get my hands on one of these Tower Humidors. Atlantic Cigar called me to advise the shipping on the website was incorrect and since they wouldn't work out a compromise so we cancelled the order. To there credit they were extremely polite and understanding and also they have excellent prices on their cigars. I ordered some smokes from them as well and am waiting for their supply of Edge's by Rocky Patel to come in to fullfill my order.
So my search continued to where I called a wholesale site. They advised that they could not sell directly to me but sent me to Cigars Etc site. They also sent an email to CE's customer service advising I was interested. Cigar Etc had already sent me an email in return advising that if I was interested in their Cigar Tower II they would work out a deal with me on the shipping charges. The deal we came to was one I couldn't turn down. It saved me a great deal on the shipping where I had to buy me some Perdomo Fresh Rolled cigars in a lot of 50. I advised them of Club Stogie and would like to give them a free plug. They in return advised that if there is something of interest on their site to please inquire through customer service and they will try an accomodate. So now I once again wait patiently to receive my goods.:ss

The trivoli has terrible seals and is made extremely poorly. You get what you pay for on this one. That, and there is a ridiculous analog hygrometer that also leaves a terrible seal spot. I use an oasis xl and 2 lbs of beads in mine, and it has to be filled every 2 weeks or so. Not happy with my purchase.

OK!!! I just took delivery of the Tower humidor from Cigars Etc. Unfortunately it arrived with the glass pushed in and supporting frame broke. Cigars Etc is sending a new replacement door out tomorrow! Awesome service so far! I and am in the process of seasoning. What I did is bought a spray bottle at the local 1$ store and filled with distilled water. At first sprayed the entire interior down and wiped it with a new clean sponge rinsed in dist. water. I have been giving the shelves a quick spritz once or twice a day. But now I have stopped to give it time to equalize. I also have my Hydra w/extra fan, a CO xl, and 2lb's of 65% RH beads broken down into 2 bags spread through out. I have more bags coming to bral up a bit more. I am still going to add an Oust fan or 2 to get some better circulation. I have the analog humi gauge in the top that I calibrated with the salt test and a hygro that was reading dead on 75%. To calibrate I just held the wire device and manipulated the gauge face until it was where it needed to be and re-tested. I also have 2 of the adjustibles coming in a day or 2 from Cigarmony. I have been seasoning for 3 days and but still going to give it alot more time since they are so dry when you recieve. Right now the RH is around 74%. The Oasis and the Hydra are on the lower shelves and the beads are spread throughout the top. As soon as the RH stays constant I an going to stock up and post some pics.

Re: Tivoli vs Lexington vs Vinotemp vs Torano (Finished pics)

As you know I recently purchased a Tower Humidor. And what I have done to tweek my Tower to keep it nice and perfect. I am running 2 automated devices. One is a Cigar Oasis XL (old model) and
A Hydra with an external fan kit. Using these 2 humidifiers alone will cause humidity pockets so I also have 2lbs of 65% RH beads from Mark's Cigarmony. I have the 2lbs broken up into 3 mesh bags that came with the bead purchase. I have these located more to the top of the humidor since it seems to me humidity rises. Now to further help keep the humidity uniform I added 3 fans. And the idea came from investigating fan setups on this wonderful site. The one fan came with the Hydra. Originally I had this set to work only when the Hydra came on. But I didn't like that
situation. I looked around for some pc fans and the cheapest I could find was a RS 9.99. Then low and behold I had an epiphany. My laptop sets on a cool pad that uses 3 very quiet 12v fans. I bought a new one from Tiger Direct for 15.00. I use the new one for my laptop and scavenged the 3 fans for my project off the existing. This leaves me a spare. I wired 2 of the cool pad fans and the Hydra fan all together in parallel. I attached the 2 cp fans to some Spanish cedar that I saved from some cigar boxes and have them setting on the bottom pointing up towards the front and top of the humidors door. The Hydra fan I have attached to the very top storage tray also pointing to the front of the door but arched downwards. I also have the adapter plugged into a 24hr timer where the fans fun for 15mins every hour and a half.
Before adding the cigars I did a quick n dirty seasoning of the box. I had a spray bottle from the $ store filled with distilled water and sprayed
down the entire insides then wiped it down. I plugged everything in and let it all run empty for 4 days. Then I added the smokes. Today the lower portion to the middle are right @ 65%RH with the top running at 67% RH. So I think for the most part I am dialed in.

Back