To Oasis or not..

reggiebuckeye

Proud Member of the 1%.
I bought a 400 stick humidor on ebay. I couldn't help it. It was cheap. Very cheap. Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I should get the Oasis for it or use beads? Better yet, is it possible to use both? Help me please. I have read and searched the forum. I would love some insight.:tu

Also, can I use the Oasis to season the humidor?

Last edited:
I bought a 400 stick humidor on ebay. I couldn't help it. It was cheap. Very cheap. Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I should get the Oasis for it or use beads? Better yet, is it possible to use both? Help me please. I have read and searched the forum. I would love some insight.:tu

Also, can I use the Oasis to season the humidor?

I highly reccomend the Oasis units, they are great and keep great RH. I use them in the large coolers and have 5 of them. Not sure about using them with beads because I have not done that and dont see any reason to. Yes you can use an Oasis to season a humi but you may have to refill it soon after. I would just use a bowl of distilled water in it for a few days then put the Oasis in. The Oasis is real simple to operate and just use distilled water to refill it. :tu

Beads are easy on maintenance, reliable and affordable, but don't offer too much in adjustability. The Oasis (I have an XL Plus) will season a humidor just fine, last you if you get a bigger humidor, is humidity adjustable, easy on maintenance, but not too easy on the wallet.

I would personally get an XL Plus, because if/when you move into a bigger box/cooler, you won't have to buy more beads. The 65% beads I have are excellent though, and yes, you can use them both together for better stabilization.

Beads are easy on maintenance, reliable and affordable, but don't offer too much in adjustability. The Oasis (I have an XL Plus) will season a humidor just fine, last you if you get a bigger humidor, is humidity adjustable, easy on maintenance, but not too easy on the wallet.

I would personally get an XL Plus, because if/when you move into a bigger box/cooler, you won't have to buy more beads. The 65% beads I have are excellent though, and yes, you can use them both together for better stabilization.

I use the standard XL in the Large coolers with out a problem. The Plus model may be better but so far my XL's have done great.

I bought it. This slope is getting crazy. I guess I am oficially ready to play in the PIF and other places now. I will be back here to ask about setup and keep you guys updated. Thank you for the help. You guys rock.

I use the standard XL in the Large coolers with out a problem. The Plus model may be better but so far my XL's have done great.

Oh, I believe it, I'm sure an XL would do the trick - these things do nothing but kick butt and take names!

The CO is worth the price of admission! Considering the value of your sticks, spending 100 for peace of mind is worth it. I have one in a coolerdor and one in a 100 count humi and they work great in both environments. They will season your humi w/in 24 hours. Just refill the cartridge with distilled water afterwards and you're set to go. Beads with the CO is a great combo if you are concerned with high RH levels. However, the CO and beads would have to be set at similar RH to keep them from fighting with each other. If you've got full-time AC, you won't need the beads.

Enjoy!

I have an XL plus in my frigador and given the solid seal on it I'm regretting my purchase of beads actually. This unit is great at everything it tries to do, I'm a big fan.

I got an oasis II about two weeks ago and have had nothing but problems with it. It would take a set point and the humity just keeps rising. I am going to contact Cigar Oasis and see if I can get another one or if they will take this one back.

I'd set it to whatever you plan on keeping the humidity at, and leaving it in for 24-48 hours :)

:tpd: Just use a good quality digital hygrometer as the CO's reading is usually off a little. The instruction manual gives specifics on how to season the humidor. Also remember to keep the side vent ABOVE your sticks and adequate space above the top vent in order to ensure proper air flow.

Enjoy!

What does the slope mean?

Slope, as in 'Slippery Slope'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Often used in Club Stogie to describe the path taken by many newbies getting heavily into cigars as a hobby...

Starts with a few sticks from the local B & M, and possibly a drymistat in a tupperware container...

Ends with cigarbid being your home page in Internet Explorer, walk-in closet humidors, and having Swiss retailers know you by first name.

Use the beads.

They will take up less humi space and work perfect in a humidor that size.

Back