Tonight's smoke.. Macanudo Robust

guy g

Gorilla
After smoking and reviewing the Mac Ascot, I thought I'd try a larger one. So, on Saturday I picked up a Mac Robust Hampton Court. 5.7 x 43. Actual was 5.5 x 40.
Prelight was a nice mellow aroma. Lit nice and even with a smooth draw. Ashed at 3/4 inch so I wouldnt have to vacuum again.
It smoked real smooth and with a pleasant flavor. It has been said here that the Robust line is better than the regular Macs and I definatly agree.
I smoked 'til my fingers got hot. Very pleased.

Last edited:
Macanudos get no respect on this board, as you can see. I haven't smoked many of them, but the ones I tried were pretty young, and I was not impressed.

A few weeks ago I decided what the hey, and picked up a couple of coronas, Regular line I think. Will give them a year, then see.

Thanks for the review. Larry.

You're right . I think alot of it is the price. I paid 5.29 for mine and it was good , but not twice as good as the Padron Londres I usually smoke, which are now at 2.49 with the new pricing.

I like a Macanudo on occasion. I think the problem with Macs...well my perception anyway...they taste as if they've been artificially infused with flavor. In particular, the Gold Labels. A pleasant sweet taste that does tend to get sickening over time. Don't get me wrong. I do like them. The construction and burn are first rate. A cigar I have no problem taking only one with me for an evening out without a backup. They've never failed to be well mannered, and that's saying something. Still, the flavor gets to be like adding nutmeg creamer to my coffee. Yes, I do this too now and then, but certainly not a steady diet. That taste would get old fast. Am I wrong? Sometimes I think of them as more candy than a cigar, but I still have a few in the humidor. Like peanut brittle and eggnog...they have their time and place. Now, back to my maduro.:)

Larry

Back